BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#156519 - 10/14/11 10:50 PM Video's for Critique
eclark53520 Offline
League Bowler

A/S/L: 22/m/wisconsin
This is the first time i've been able to video myself..

My apologies for how dark they are...hopefully I can get to a better lit house sometime soon...

Anyway, let me know what you think. I've always stopped too far from the foul line and i've never really been able to fix it...if anyone has ideas let me know...

Taboo blue/silver
Black Widow Pearl
Taboo Spare

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#156531 - 10/15/11 06:54 AM Re: Video's for Critique [Re: eclark53520]
jdpm Offline
Junior Master

A/S/L: 29/m/philippines
Eclark, first of all I am not a coach and not someone who has a lot of experience in bowling. But I just saw one thing in your footwork that seems to be similar with mine early this year. That is, your second step is short. Coach Jim suggested to have a longer second step. So for a four-step approach your steps should be long, long, short, then long slide.

#156585 - 10/16/11 07:55 PM Re: Video's for Critique [Re: eclark53520]
eclark53520 Offline
League Bowler

Yeah, definitely a very short second step.

Something I noticed while bowling a while back and something i'm going to be working on. This video definitely showed me how short my second step was.

That will actually get me closer to the foul line as well i'm sure.

Hopefully it doesn't mess my timing up too much.

Thanks for the suggestions!

Taboo blue/silver
Black Widow Pearl
Taboo Spare

#156599 - 10/17/11 12:31 AM Re: Video's for Critique [Re: eclark53520]
champ Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 32/M/AZ
I'm also not much of a coach either, but it looks like you aren't sliding much or at all which can lead to balance, leverage, and timing issues.

USBC Open personal bests: 226/602/1690
USBC Open career average: 174.66 (45 Games)

See you in Reno 2020!

#156600 - 10/17/11 05:30 AM Re: Video's for Critique [Re: eclark53520]
CoachJim Offline
USBC Silver Coach

A/S/L: Reston, Virginia USA
I agree 100% with what's been said so far, to add to it, you should buy some blue painter's tape and place on the floor so you can see where you are stepping, then try to step over the tape on your second step.

I like your knee bend, most people don't bend their legs at all, but you get into great position, I'm not sure why you don't have a slide, probably shoes aren't good, but you should work on developing a longer slide and a longer second step.

Your swing looks muscled and cut off, not sure if your grip is right, if you are most likely squeezing the ball, this cuts off the swing and doesn't allow the ball to swing your arm like it should.

#156603 - 10/17/11 08:27 AM Re: Video's for Critique [Re: CoachJim]
eclark53520 Offline
League Bowler

Thanks Jim.

I fear the shoes are definitely part of the problem...I bought them before i realized how important shoes are. I feel like i get a better slide than it looks on the video. That particular center also tends to have very 'sticky' approach.

I'm getting used to a brand new set of balls(that was my first game with them). They were professionally fit this time and I'm confident the driller got it right. My old ball had a span that was far too long and the thumb was too loose. These new grips feel very different, but my muscle(mind) memory still has me squeezing.

I'm sad to hear the swing looks muscled. That's one thing I thought I had naturally was a free swing. Hopefully not squeezing the grip will help that some.

Thanks again everyone!

1. Longer second step
2. Loose arm swing
3. Stop squeezing
4. Better shoes

Edited by eclark53520 (10/17/11 08:29 AM)

Taboo blue/silver
Black Widow Pearl
Taboo Spare

#157492 - 11/01/11 04:10 PM Re: Video's for Critique [Re: eclark53520]
trekguy Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 56/M/Mn
Yep, second step is way short... you get in "catch up" mode right after that (non)step.

Fix that first, and don't worry about messing up your timing... it WILL feel messed up and different, but it will be better.
Motiv Venom Shock
Motiv Arctic Sniper
Motiv Tank

#157541 - 11/02/11 02:28 PM Re: Video's for Critique [Re: trekguy]
eclark53520 Offline
League Bowler

I've been out on the lanes several times since i posted this thread.

The longer second step is huge. Now that I know I do it, I have been working on it and getting much better.

Taking a longer second step puts me right on the foul line as well as gives me a better power step and better slide. The timing is also better.

Now I'm working on my targeting. Apparently I picked up a bad habit after all those years of throwing the exact same line. If i play inside, my accuracy really goes out the window.

I'm also working on staying behind the ball more. With these new balls I don't have to come around them to get them to move. I actually score better playing not as far inside as I can, so i have to give it less hand to keep it on the right side. Never had that luxury with my old urethane...

Planning on getting some new video's soon. Thanks everyone!

Edited by eclark53520 (11/02/11 02:32 PM)

Taboo blue/silver
Black Widow Pearl
Taboo Spare

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Plastic or Urethane?
by LindaDelcamp - Yesterday at 03:19 PM
Good morning everyone...
by Mkirchie - 11/10/19 09:52 PM
What is the best ball to get?
by djp1080 - 11/10/19 09:02 PM
Which fork on the Hy-Road should I take?
by Mkirchie - 11/02/19 07:05 AM
End of Days
by BOSStull - 11/02/19 06:44 AM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2019 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.