BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#156337 - 10/10/11 05:30 PM Re: Home made ball oven [Re: Rocket]
champ Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 30/M/AZ
I've only been bowling for a little over a year, so I have no real experience with what happens over time, but I am a skeptic. Take my Midnight vibe for example. I wipes it off after every shot and clean it with powerhouse energizer after every time bowling, and I have given it several hot water baths, yet if it gets left in the sun for only a couple minutes, a thick layer of oil rises to the surface. So I am a skeptic that anything really gets the oil out. Furthermore, it probably has close to 200 games on it, and I know there's a lot of oil in it, but it has shown no signs of losing any reaction...in fact, I think it is getting stronger, despite the fact that I make sure to get it's surface put back to box specs every two weeks. So, I am also a skeptic that oil in the ball is abad thing. Like I said, I haven't been doing this long, and I'm likely to be proven wrong, but that's the experience I have.

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#156356 - 10/10/11 10:33 PM Re: Home made ball oven [Re: metguy]
Rocket Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 45/male/Ohio
Originally Posted By: metguy
I was wondering if any of you wipes your ball with a fresh towel in-between frames or use any cleaner at the end of your night bowling? This box and hair drier thing sounds okay but if you know your ball soaks up the oil, why wait til it gets that deep in your $230+ ball and take any chance of damaging it?

I tried the oven thing once, completely baked the oil (and chemicals) right out of it. Never again. Its not worth the risk when it takes 5 seconds each frame to give it a quick wipes down and maybe a whole minute at the end of the night to wipes it down with some alcohol or your favorite ball cleaner.

Different balls have different chemical makeups. Trying to heat up your ball to remove the oil is like jumping out of a perfectly good airplane, no going back...I don't mind reading about other people doing it or even watching others do it BUT i have no plans to. If you Pro Shop guru crashes with your ball, he'll replace it. If i crash trying to, its a complete loss...

Yeah MetGuy, clean mine every week and wipes every frame. I also see your point about the danger involved. But I am a tinkerer and an engineer as well. Sometimes I just have to try stuff. I felt the risk was low due to the size of the box and it not being sealed so tight that air couldn't escape. The ball didnt feel as hot as when I do straight hot tap water and it was easier for me to see and remove the oil.

But as you may have noticed I did add a disclaimer that it may be dangerous and to try at your own risk in my original post. smile
Mutant Cell

#156367 - 10/11/11 08:07 AM Re: Home made ball oven [Re: B-Hammer]
VFF57 Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 50's/M/NJ
Originally Posted By: B-Hammer
Originally Posted By: Doogie
Anybody have any knowledge of how hot a bowling ball can get for baking? At what temperature might damage occur?

Around 100* is more then hot enough to extract oil. Be very careful when doing it in dry air to avoid hotspots, that's why water is more popular because it is much more even a temperature.

This is what happens when you try to do it with a regular oven (image from bowlingchat)

looks to me like the person had the oven set to about 300 degrees. I know guys who do the oven method all the time without adverse effects. They set the oven to 100 degrees. Some people just don't use their heads and can screw up just about anything.

I personally use the HW method for now until I can build my own revivor oven that's regulated at about 110 deg. max, spins the ball and has a water reservoir in front of the hot air source for some humidity. The worst thing for a ball is spotty heat which is why the ball needs to be turning.

I've had good success with the HW method only because I was very diligent. It takes many buckets of fresh hot water and in between bucket refills the ball and bucket needs to be rinsed under hot water and wiped down before getting submerged again. I know the HW method is effective because as an experiment I put a HW treated ball (VG) in a revivor oven a couple days later and hardly any oil came out. It takes a lot of time and effort to de-oil a ball in HW which is why I would like to build an oven. The Pro Shop I'm going to now doesn't have an RO.
-------------------------
Motiv: Raptor P7
MoRich: Aggressive Motion
Storm: VG,Crossroad,NP
Hammer: Spike,Psycho,Raw Anger,
Cherry Vibe,Taboo Plastic/Spare,
Black Hammer
Columbia: White Dot

#156405 - 10/12/11 05:14 AM Re: Home made ball oven [Re: Rocket]
Handful Offline
High Roller

A/S/L: 32/male/St Pete, FL/ usa
Professional ball ovens only go up to 150 degrees and the timer only goes to 2 hrs so use that as your guide for safe oil extraction. I've heard guy's who run thier ball oven all day but 2hrs worth should get enough oil out to get the reaction back to new.
Slingshot

#156469 - 10/13/11 11:46 AM Re: Home made ball oven [Re: Rocket]
mmalsed Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 43/M/Riverside, CA
You could use a Love's controller (it's what we use in brewing, their temp range is huge) which would turn on/off the heating element, and keep a fan running to circulate the heated air (to eliminate hot spots) . . .

http://www.mod-tronic.com/Love_Temperature_Controllers.html although you can often find them on eBay. That's where I found the one I'm using in my fermentor chamber build.

They're pretty easy to use - essentially they're the relay and temp sensor built into one, with some programmability (you can set the range, the +/-, etc.)

16# IQ Tour Pearl/16# Crux/16# Marvel S/15#White Dot

"Gotta kick at the darkness 'till it bleeds daylight"

#156477 - 10/13/11 01:44 PM Re: Home made ball oven [Re: mmalsed]
eclark53520 Offline
League Bowler

A/S/L: 22/m/wisconsin

Edited by eclark53520 (10/13/11 01:58 PM)

Taboo blue/silver
Black Widow Pearl
Taboo Spare

#156478 - 10/13/11 03:15 PM Re: Home made ball oven [Re: Rocket]
mmalsed Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 43/M/Riverside, CA
Just remember, that one is 220V, not 110V. . .

Check this one: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mini-Digital-Tem...=item2c5a19c2d2

edit - just noticed it's HK. . .

Edited by mmalsed (10/13/11 03:17 PM)

16# IQ Tour Pearl/16# Crux/16# Marvel S/15#White Dot

"Gotta kick at the darkness 'till it bleeds daylight"

#156481 - 10/13/11 04:16 PM Re: Home made ball oven [Re: mmalsed]
eclark53520 Offline
League Bowler

A/S/L: 22/m/wisconsin
You're right. Didn't realize that.

Why is it so hard to get those from a US based warehouse?

Dang...can't find a 110volt one anywhere in the US.

Taboo blue/silver
Black Widow Pearl
Taboo Spare

#156482 - 10/13/11 04:51 PM Re: Home made ball oven [Re: Rocket]
6_ball_man Offline
2X Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 60/m/downtown churchville
You can get 220 single phase from 110, but a professional electrician needs to be involved grin
Storm Code Red
Rotogrip Winner - box
Brunswick Gold Rhino Pro shiny
Storm Polar Ice - 4k+polish

equipment list too

#156486 - 10/13/11 10:29 PM Re: Home made ball oven [Re: 6_ball_man]
Rocket Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 45/male/Ohio
Just an update, practiced tonight on fresh oil (lane man laid a shot just for us) I pulled out my Mutant lined up feet 25 target 15 break point 7 went Brooklyn. Oh by the way Im med to low rev 16 to 17 mph stroker I guess you would say. Ok I think maybe that was just lucky shot do it again same result. Move my feet 3 boards left target 2, hi flush. Same line hi flush. By the end of 3 games Im at 35 shooting 22 breaking at 12.

Maybe it was just trusting the ball would hook up and come back, but I believe it was the quart of oil I removed with my trusty hair dryer oven. I haven't covered that many boards with that ball for a long long time.
Mutant Cell

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Fall/Winter 2018-19 Leagues Thread
by Fin09 - 12/14/18 11:31 AM
New Pro Shop Near My House
by Mkirchie - 11/26/18 05:05 PM
Trying to keep my throw straight
by spr3wr - 11/24/18 08:49 PM
Happy Thanksgiving to all
by djp1080 - 11/22/18 10:49 AM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2018 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.