BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#156338 - 10/10/11 05:34 PM Equipment at Nationals
champ Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 31/M/AZ
I'm considering bowling at nationals this year if I can get extra time off work, and scrounge the money to make the trip possible. I have heard that you can not use equipment at nationals that has been plugged and re-drilled. Is that true? Most of my stuff has been.

USBC Open personal bests: 226/602/1690
USBC Open career average: 174.66 (45 Games)

See you in Reno 2020!

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#156343 - 10/10/11 06:45 PM Re: Equipment at Nationals [Re: champ]
Calvin Pistorio Offline
State Champion Contender

A/S/L: 32/m/maryland
I believe the plug/re-drilled issue is in PBA events. I just read through the USBC Open Championships Rules and do not see anything about plugging in it.

http://usbcongress.http.internapcdn.net/...12OpenRules.pdf

To get a true answer I would suggest contacting USBC directly through bowl.com
HS:763

#156345 - 10/10/11 06:58 PM Re: Equipment at Nationals [Re: champ]
spillup24 Offline
High Roller

A/S/L: Philadelphia, PA
You can use the plugged/redrill in PBA it just has to be marked before compition starts. You have to chart everything about the ball. Grips, thumb slug, redrill, balance holes so I would assume that Nationals would be ok.

#156348 - 10/10/11 07:43 PM Re: Equipment at Nationals [Re: champ]
champ Offline
Virtual League Champion

Thanks for the answers guys. I have also heard it was PBA events, so if that is not the case, and the Open Championships Rules doesn't say anything, I wonder if that is outdated/total misinformation. I'll contact USBC and see what I get back.

See you in Reno 2020!

#156349 - 10/10/11 07:53 PM Re: Equipment at Nationals [Re: champ]
Calvin Pistorio Offline
State Champion Contender

A/S/L: 32/m/maryland
Last time I read the PBA rules, which was at least 5 years ago, there was a rule concerning plugging the ball, but when I read through them today after Spillup's post, I see it basically is follow USBC's guidelines.
HS:763

#156359 - 10/10/11 11:29 PM Re: Equipment at Nationals [Re: champ]
PSBA10 Offline
League Bowler

A/S/L: 58/M/Butler, Pennsylvania
I have been to Nationals numerous times. I have had the same spare ball since 1994. It started out as my wife's ball that she didn't like. I had it plugged and drilled for me. Never in all the times I have been to Nationals has it been questioned.

In fact the last time the tournament was in Batton Rouge, Frankie May plugged and re-drilled a Visionary "Frankie May" for me on site. Again that was not questioned.
HG 290 Series 781 Average 198

#156447 - 10/12/11 11:50 PM Re: Equipment at Nationals [Re: champ]
champ Offline
Virtual League Champion

That's good information, thanks. I've bought a lot of equipment, and honestly didn't like much of it. Now that I have 3/4 of my aresenal completely worked out, I would hate to be forced into spending even more money on equipment that I probably wouldn't love, just for nine games, IF it is needed in the first place.

See you in Reno 2020!

#156459 - 10/13/11 05:33 AM Re: Equipment at Nationals [Re: champ]
CoachJim Offline
USBC Silver Coach

A/S/L: Reston, Virginia USA
I wouldn't show up to Nationals without at least one new piece of equipment. The reason for this is because they use way more oil than most bowlers see, at least for team, singles and doubles might be burned up if you follow another squad, in these old equipment rules, but on the fresh you will usually get the best reaction from a fresh new ball with little wear and tear, drilled marginally weak so it doesn't burn early with higher pin placements to get the ball to check up quicker on the back end.

You can usually tell from the boards as to what the "It" ball that year is, my advice is to find out what this ball is and drill up a new one and bring it with you. Don't forget your spare ball as you will not be able to hook the ball at your spares there at all.

#156460 - 10/13/11 06:21 AM Re: Equipment at Nationals [Re: champ]
6_ball_man Offline
2X Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 60/m/downtown churchville
If plug and redrills weren't allowed at Nat's I would be completely sunk. All but my most recent 3 purchases were plugged several times when I was sorting out grip issues a few years ago. As long as the static weights are ok, plug and drill is no problem.
Hammer Onyx Vibe (original)
Rotogrip Winner - box
Elite Gold Label
Storm Polar Ice - 4k+polish

equipment list too

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Leading with the ring finger...
by djp1080 - 08/22/19 03:14 PM
2019 Summer Leagues
by Dennis Michael - 08/15/19 08:37 AM
USBC General Playing Rule 18 Change
by Dennis Michael - 08/13/19 07:06 PM
Last Online 10 days ago
by BOSStull - 08/10/19 10:03 AM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2019 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.