BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#156056 - 10/02/11 09:58 PM oil extraction experiment
TominNJ Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 59 M EHT NJ
I must admit that I was extremely skeptical about bowling balls absorbing lane oil and affecting the hook. Now I'm not so sure.

I bought a Mission 2.0 and it was hooking almost off the lane compared to my Nano (supposedly a stronger ball). That got me thinking a little bit.

Next I read this article:

http://www.utahbowling.com/news/brunswick.html

(I hope I haven't broken any forum rules by posting the link. It would seemingly not create any conflict.)

Now to the experiment:

I cleaned my Nano with rubbing alcohol then brought it inside and tried a hair dryer on the surface. The surface became shiny wet almost instantly. I wiped it and used the dryer again and got some more liquid.

At that point, I took the ball out to the garage and put it in the ball spinner. I then turned on the spinner and pointed the hair dryer at the ball then used a towel to wipes the ball as the surface became shiny. I did both sides then cleaned the ball with the Reacta Clean that Storm recommends. I then repeated the hair dryer process. The ball surface instantly became wet again.

I repeated the process with my Columbia Pure Physics with the same results.

Conclusions:

Neither alcohol, Reacta Clean nor Power Wash removes whatever the substance is that rises to the surface of the Nano / Pure Physics when it's heated.

I am now a believer that the surface does absorb oil. I don't think that plasticizer would rise to the surface as quickly as this stuff did from just a little bit of heat. It was almost instantaneous.

Ball ovens are way too expensive to consider although it might make for a business opportunity. The hair dryer routine would be too time consuming and too imprecise to be effective as a regular routine. A couple heat lamps might work?

Edited by TominNJ (10/02/11 10:00 PM)

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#156057 - 10/02/11 11:18 PM Re: oil extraction experiment [Re: TominNJ]
B-Hammer Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 30/M/Bellingham WA
The bucket of hot water works really well. Lots of write ups on it, but in short some hot tap water + a few drops of dish soap, change the water every 45 minutes until the water is no longer oily.

#156063 - 10/03/11 02:15 AM Re: oil extraction experiment [Re: TominNJ]
Kitten Latch Offline
Action Bowler

A/S/L: 19/M/Australia
Test that's fun: Go down to the alley, roll the ball down the middle of the lane. When it comes back, watch the flare rings for a couple of minutes (depending on ball), with the something like the Nano the oil will be completely gone, all into the cover. smile

Mmm, yeah. Easiest method of getting a lot of oil out is a hot water bath. Some people I know are skeptical of using dishwashing detergent on bowling balls, but it's only de-greaser. Use a towel on your equipment after each shot, and clean it with Reacta clean or whatever you use after each set and you should go for a while without the oil changing the reaction much.
Black Pearl [email protected]
Terminator [email protected]
[email protected]

High Series: 793(3), 1033(4)
High Game: 300x1 17/6/11

#156068 - 10/03/11 07:34 AM Re: oil extraction experiment [Re: TominNJ]
metguy Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 46/m/waverly iowa
If i remember right, about 5 yrs back i tried the Hot water thing and my pantera phased so bad people didn't recognize what it was. It was actually kinda cool looking but it did catch me off guard. So, are we talking "warm" or "hot" because i think it makes a difference.

This season: HG-289 HS-685
Career #'s : HG-299 HS-782

Arsonal: Heat (Pearl), 2Fast, Blue Hammer, Raptor P7, Fire Road

TRANSITIONING TO MOTIV EQUIPMENT
(CCWBRA)

#156069 - 10/03/11 07:42 AM Re: oil extraction experiment [Re: TominNJ]
VFF57 Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 50's/M/NJ
Yep too bad reactive's don't have an oil drain plug.

I gave a ball a HW bath this weekend. Six buckets later the ball was no longer slimy underwater and actually felt a little grainy so I knew it was done bleeding. The track is the last area of the ball to bleed out.
-------------------------
Motiv: Raptor P7
MoRich: Aggressive Motion
Storm: VG,Crossroad,NP
Hammer: Spike,Psycho,Raw Anger,
Cherry Vibe,Taboo Plastic/Spare,
Black Hammer
Columbia: White Dot

#156102 - 10/03/11 11:15 PM Re: oil extraction experiment [Re: TominNJ]
BigFootkid Offline
Junior Coach

A/S/L: 16 Tigard, Or
I'm curious how that works on new ball, It may not seem like plastisizor but how do we know since the ball is older and has been used. I'm very, very skeptical using anything other than alcohol, or bowling ball cleaner with a ball spinner. I keep my as clean as I can. Having access to a ebonite powerhouse ball spinner helps too. Best advice is to clean it every other week if your a once a night league bowler or every 9 games and wipes it off with a microfiber towel before every throw. I wipes my ball off even if I just pulled it out of my bag, just my re shot routine.
Hy-road
T-road pearl
Natural
Invasion

Brunswick
Wicked Siege

Motiv
QZ2 Quad fire

#156104 - 10/04/11 12:25 AM Re: oil extraction experiment [Re: TominNJ]
PetyaSol Offline
League Bowler

A/S/L: 23 Male Russia
Originally Posted By: TominNJ

Conclusions:

Neither alcohol, Reacta Clean nor Power Wash removes whatever the substance is that rises to the surface of the Nano / Pure Physics when it's heated.

I am now a believer that the surface does absorb oil. I don't think that plasticizer would rise to the surface as quickly as this stuff did from just a little bit of heat. It was almost instantaneous.

Ball ovens are way too expensive to consider although it might make for a business opportunity. The hair dryer routine would be too time consuming and too imprecise to be effective as a regular routine. A couple heat lamps might work?

Alcohol and Bowling cleaners destroy oil on the surface, but it can't get to one that's absorbed, that's why Cleaner should be used as often as you can since they will help longevity before the oil extraction process.
I use hot tap water and fan heater, takes about 2 days to take all the oil out.
And if you pointing your fan and ball sweats oil quickly , that means that that ball is dead.
Nano absorbes lot's of oil and needs a lot of maintance.
Storm Victory Road Solid 15
Roto Grip Critical Theory 15
Storm Vg Nano 15
Storm Anarchy 15
Storm Hy-Road 15
Storm Rapid Fire Pearl 14 (retired)
Ebonite Maxim 14 (retired)

#156105 - 10/04/11 12:30 AM Re: oil extraction experiment [Re: TominNJ]
PetyaSol Offline
League Bowler

Contiuning the discussion, my HY-Road is 2 month old, I tried extracting oil from it,that thing won't sweat anything and still soaks oil much better than any other ball I throw,trully one amazing piece of equipment.
Storm Vg Nano 15
Storm Anarchy 15
Storm Hy-Road 15

#156169 - 10/05/11 08:40 PM Re: oil extraction experiment [Re: PetyaSol]
champ Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 30/M/AZ
Originally Posted By: PetyaSol
Contiuning the discussion, my HY-Road is 2 month old, I tried extracting oil from it,that thing won't sweat anything and still soaks oil much better than any other ball I throw,trully one amazing piece of equipment.

I notice the same thing with my Hy-Road. It is starting to rack up a lot of gaes on it, and sucks up oil before it make it all the way through the ball return, yet it doesn't sweat any oil, or react any differently than when it was brand new.

#156185 - 10/06/11 06:08 AM Re: oil extraction experiment [Re: champ]
PetyaSol Offline
League Bowler

Originally Posted By: champ
Originally Posted By: PetyaSol

I notice the same thing with my Hy-Road. It is starting to rack up a lot of gaes on it, and sucks up oil before it make it all the way through the ball return, yet it doesn't sweat any oil, or react any differently than when it was brand new.

Yep, I just don't get it, it almost always comes back with just signs of oil rings but almost all the oil is soaked up, still OOB reaction, I brought my Anarchy and Nano to extract oil and they were bleeding oil for 2 days(Anarchy looses reaction fastest but might be because I play with it the most),
it's might be that way because Hy-road has a lot of cover, that's the only explantion I can think of.
Storm Vg Nano 15
Storm Anarchy 15
Storm Hy-Road 15

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Storm Hy-Road Surface
by djp1080 - Yesterday at 10:42 AM
Fall/Winter 2018-19 Leagues Thread
by Mkirchie - 10/21/18 07:57 AM
Mo Pinel "Striking Effectively In Today's Game"
by BOSStull - 10/14/18 06:16 AM
Buying new house shoes.
by BOSStull - 10/11/18 05:58 AM
Storm/Roto Grip MatchMaker Live
by BOSStull - 10/11/18 05:44 AM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2018 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.