BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#155383 - 09/16/11 10:42 PM First new ball in over 3 years
Calvin Pistorio Offline
State Champion Contender

A/S/L: 32/m/maryland
I finally went to the Pro Shop this evening to get my Hy-Road taken care of. Last time I actually used it was about a month and half ago and felt wrist pain from using it. At the time I realized that the fit wasn't quite right. I felt it hang up on my thumb a lot when ever I did try to use it even before then. Well the span to the middle finger was too long, by close to 1/4 inch. So the thumb is getting plugged and moved accordingly. I thought about getting the IT system after I left the shop, so if they don't have the thumb re-drilled I think I'm going to get it done. It's $16 for the outer sleeve and I think $12 for the inner.

I also looked into getting a new ball, probably to replace my aging Track Triton Elite, as the plug material is cracking, it's quite old and isn't very forgiving. Since this is my weaker ball, I inquired into a weak ball and was directed at several of the "entry" level balls, like the Track 300T, Storm Tropical Heat or Breeze and the DV8 Misfit which is a brand of Brunswick. I was trying to stay away from Brunswick, for a couple reasons such as to try to give other ball companies a shot and I'm not a fan of their business practice of moving manufacturing out of the US, but didn't want to go with another Storm ball, but I just wasn't drawn to the 300T. So I went with the DV8 Misfit Magenta/Yellow. It could be considered an ugly ball but that's the way I like them. They didn't have any in stock in 16 lbs, actually they don't stock anything in 16 so they have to order it. It should be in my next Friday and should be drilled up before next Saturday night's league. I believe this shop uses Mo' Dual Angle technique, so this will be the first ball I will have drilled using my PAP, which we will have to find. I'm looking forward to seeing how it works out.
HS:763

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#155391 - 09/17/11 02:17 AM Re: First new ball in over 3 years [Re: Calvin Pistorio]
6_ball_man Offline
2X Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 60/m/downtown churchville
I like the 300 as a bottom ender. Versatile as long as the oil isn't too deep. I even used it on the played Athens this week. Post back about that DV8. It was one of the ones on my list.
Monster Loch Ness - 4k+polish
Rotogrip Winner - box
Brunswick Gold Rhino Pro shiny
Storm Polar Ice - 4k+polish

equipment list too

#155397 - 09/17/11 08:24 AM Re: First new ball in over 3 years [Re: Calvin Pistorio]
Calvin Pistorio Offline
State Champion Contender

I sure will. The owner said it should be there by Friday. He also said the 300 was a very popular ball, but like I said I just wasn't drawn to it.

#155433 - 09/17/11 09:01 PM Re: First new ball in over 3 years [Re: Calvin Pistorio]
champ Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 30/M/AZ
I've been looking at the DV8s myself. I wasn't too drawn to them at first, based on their advertising, but more and more I am liking them. I have seen the Hell Raiser in action, and I really like it. Hopefully it works out for you.

#155436 - 09/17/11 10:49 PM Re: First new ball in over 3 years [Re: Calvin Pistorio]
Calvin Pistorio Offline
State Champion Contender

I hope it works out too. I've noticed them a few times on some of the online shops, but never really looked at them, but never saw any advertising. I didn't realize they were a Brunswick brand until the Pro Shop owner told me when he was directing me to the weaker equipment he had in. Brunswick has worked well for me in the past so we will see. After tonight I'm not sure it's going to replace the Triton as I put up a 670 set with it, which should have been a 700.

#155463 - 09/18/11 05:18 PM Re: First new ball in over 3 years [Re: Calvin Pistorio]
Norm3v Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 34 M NJ US
Those DV8 balls look pretty impressive, can't wait to hear how it goes.

I swear by the Vise IT, I can't recommend it enough. Every ball feels the same, I can change the size along with my thumb size, and I haven't had 1 break on me yet in 3 years of using it (that includes landing directly on it throwing straight at my spare shots). Plus, if someone you know has it and your span and middle/ring fingers are the same you can try their equipment out and vice/versa. Just make sure your Pro Shop is very well versed in doing it or else they will break if not installed properly. My Pro Shop does probably 5 a day so he has it down to a science.
- Lucid
- Tropical Heat Pearl (Red/Blue)

High Game: 300 (2)
High Series: 758
Average: 210

#155464 - 09/18/11 05:50 PM Re: First new ball in over 3 years [Re: Calvin Pistorio]
Calvin Pistorio Offline
State Champion Contender

My Pro Shop has been doing both the IT and Switch Grips for a while, but last night I saw another downside to the interchangeable systems. A bowler on the other team, a guy I've known for a while now, was trying to remove one from one of his balls and couldn't get it to budge. I'm not sure if he wanted to try to use that ball with a different slug, or if he wanted that slug for a different ball.

#155630 - 09/22/11 12:33 PM Re: First new ball in over 3 years [Re: Calvin Pistorio]
Norm3v Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 34 M NJ US
Originally Posted By: Calvin Pistorio
My pro shop has been doing both the IT and Switch Grips for a while, but last night I saw another downside to the interchangeable systems. A bowler on the other team, a guy I've known for a while now, was trying to remove one from one of his balls and couldn't get it to budge. I'm not sure if he wanted to try to use that ball with a different slug, or if he wanted that slug for a different ball.

Yea, there could always be a chance of that if somethings happens. That's why I bought this http://www.bowlingball.com/products/bowling-accessories/Turbo2-N-1Grips/6681/Switch-A-Roo.html. My Victory Road is the only ball that has some issues from time to time and I have had to use this get the thumb out. It works like a charm and with very little effort.
- Lucid
- Tropical Heat Pearl (Red/Blue)

High Game: 300 (2)
High Series: 758
Average: 210

#155645 - 09/22/11 05:55 PM Re: First new ball in over 3 years [Re: Norm3v]
Calvin Pistorio Offline
State Champion Contender

Originally Posted By: Norm3v
Originally Posted By: Calvin Pistorio
My pro shop has been doing both the IT and Switch Grips for a while, but last night I saw another downside to the interchangeable systems. A bowler on the other team, a guy I've known for a while now, was trying to remove one from one of his balls and couldn't get it to budge. I'm not sure if he wanted to try to use that ball with a different slug, or if he wanted that slug for a different ball.

Yea, there could always be a chance of that if somethings happens. That's why I bought this http://www.bowlingball.com/products/bowling-accessories/Turbo2-N-1Grips/6681/Switch-A-Roo.html. My Victory Road is the only ball that has some issues from time to time and I have had to use this get the thumb out. It works like a charm and with very little effort.

That won't fix every issue that can come up though. I once saw one that would spin and spin but not unlock or come out of the ball. I'm not sure what the Pro Shop finally did to be able to get it out. The bowler said it was his favorite insert in his least favorite ball.

If I do get an IT or Switch Grips I would definitely be getting that and using it all the time.

#155690 - 09/23/11 08:30 PM Re: First new ball in over 3 years [Re: Calvin Pistorio]
Calvin Pistorio Offline
State Champion Contender

I got the call early this afternoon that my ball was in. I went earlier this evening to have it drilled and pick it up. Unfortunately the guy I dealt with didn't want to watch me bowl or get a PAP. Some others that work in the shop do that. I'm not sure they could have got a lane for it anyways since the lanes were dressed for the leagues that were starting soon. He did ask what kind of reaction I was looking for and gave me two options. I haven't had a chance to throw the ball yet, but plan on heading to the center early tomorrow and toss it some before league. Eventually I'll try to figure out my own PAP and figure out how each of my balls are suppose to react.

The Hy-Road was already drilled, just needed the final touches on the fit.

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Fall/Winter 2018-19 Leagues Thread
by Richie V. - 10/18/18 04:06 PM
Mo Pinel "Striking Effectively In Today's Game"
by BOSStull - 10/14/18 06:16 AM
Buying new house shoes.
by BOSStull - 10/11/18 05:58 AM
Storm/Roto Grip MatchMaker Live
by BOSStull - 10/11/18 05:44 AM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2018 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.