BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#155242 - 09/13/11 03:19 PM Re: Need 10 Pin Help Badly [Re: slaterracing]
CoachJim Offline
USBC Silver Coach

A/S/L: Reston, Virginia USA
I see people struggle with corner pin spares a lot and most of the time they are finishing with their shoulders square to the foul line, and pulling the ball across themselves to try to hit the target.

Use your balance arm to help square yourself to the pin, if you hold it out square to your target line your brain will have a reference to what you need to be square to. Other wise what happens is the subconscious sees the boards, gutters and foul line in one direction and your target line is not square with any of those things, so your subconscious gets confused and squares you up to what it thinks is right. When bowlers do things subconsciously it takes much practice to get out of doing it. You need to pay attention to your alignment after every shot even strike shots to try to get your brain trained to be square to what you are aiming at.

Edited by CoachJim (09/13/11 03:19 PM)

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#155243 - 09/13/11 03:38 PM Re: Need 10 Pin Help Badly [Re: slaterracing]
slaterracing Offline
2x Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 36/M/Adel, Iowa, USA
I am going to work on that tomorrow at leagues and Thursday night at pract. All I know is i have to figure this out cause it is driving me nuts. And the more mad i get about it the worse off i am
Storm Modern Marvel 15#
Storm FireRoad 15#
Storm Furious 15#
Storm Tropicl Breeze #15
Storm Black Ice #15
Turbo Switch Grip

#155244 - 09/13/11 04:31 PM Re: Need 10 Pin Help Badly [Re: slaterracing]
Domokun Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: male/DC Metro
Originally Posted By: slaterracing
I am throwing softer than normal. I have tried to throw hard like i see some people do but i cannot control my release when i do that. I would say i am thowing around 10 to 12 MPH at the 10 pin and throw about 16 MPH strike ball.

Ahem. "You don't have to throw it hard. You have to throw it straight."--CoachJim

I used to struggle as well, but in following CoachJim's lessons, I've made it much less of a problem. I also used to haul around a plastic to take care of these corners, but the way I was flattening my hand (index tucked in close to middle finger, pinkie way out) also works for any ball--whatever's my strike ball at the time, that's the ball that gets thrown straight at buckets/washouts/2-8 sleepers or faded at 3-6-10s and left corners.*

One fairly easy thing (if Jim's covered this same thing, then I apologize) to try is to open your forearm to the target. This follows along with all the other alignment instruction. If you focus on that, then the back of your hand faces your target. Small thing, but it does work for me. I know when I've missed, and those opportunities are far fewer these days, I can look at my hand first to see if its placement is wrong. If not, then it's alignment.

*This is also easier to do by moving my feet way back on the approach from my normal start. I have a freer swing now (thanks CoachJim) so I'm constantly moving up and down now on the approach adjusting speed through ball height--feet above the dots, ball by my hip and conversely with my feet just in front of back dots, ball's up almost above my shoulder, and this is the position I always move for shooting at either corner. Angle BOTH feet properly with shoulders square to the target. Most speed/most straight = most corner conversion with any ball. It's easier done than said. Trust me.

Ebonite: Challenge, Exceed, Innovate
Storm/RG: Cell Pearl, Tropical Breeze

"Only NBC or CBS for me. New Ball Carry or Clean Ball Strikes. Channel 4 and 14 or nothing." -- D. Ryan

#155246 - 09/13/11 06:27 PM Re: Need 10 Pin Help Badly [Re: Domokun]
ijohn83 Offline
4x Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 54/male/Palmdale, California U...
Originally Posted By: Domokun
is to open your forearm to the target

Another visual that is helping me is to "give blood to the target"

Also, as an improving bowler, be sure to recalibrate your spare game periodically.
My ball has naturally gotten closer to my slide ankle causing me to need to take 1 1/2 boards out of my starting line-up to target. I was fighting my eyes and my old line-ups. I could not trust my eyes and would do my old line-ups and my sub-conscious would get the ball back away from my slide ankle to make the shot (most of the time).

~ John

#155305 - 09/15/11 09:13 AM Re: Need 10 Pin Help Badly [Re: slaterracing]
slaterracing Offline

Well I dont know what I was doing wrong last night but missed 4 out of 6. But I was having a very very bad night last night with everything not just 10 pins. Felt very off last night. Timing was not good, could not hit the same mark 2 shots in a row. I even missed a 5 pin. Going to pract tonight and will hopefully be able to get some video that i can post up to see if i can see what i am doing and see if other can see what i am doing wrong so i can fix it.
Storm Modern Marvel 15#
Storm FireRoad 15#
Storm Furious 15#
Storm Tropicl Breeze #15
Storm Black Ice #15
Turbo Switch Grip

#155329 - 09/15/11 09:59 PM Re: Need 10 Pin Help Badly [Re: slaterracing]
slaterracing Offline

Well here is a little video dont think you can see much but who knows. this is the only 10 pin i had to shoot at tonight.

Storm Modern Marvel 15#
Storm FireRoad 15#
Storm Furious 15#
Storm Tropicl Breeze #15
Storm Black Ice #15
Turbo Switch Grip

#155333 - 09/15/11 11:01 PM Re: Need 10 Pin Help Badly [Re: slaterracing]
ijohn83 Offline
4x Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 54/male/Palmdale, California U...
I think you need to stand on 35 & find out what board you need to roll over to make the ten pin (maybe 16 or 17?). As you get better & have more confidence I bet you end up rolling over center arrow (20).

~ John

#155336 - 09/16/11 01:38 AM Re: Need 10 Pin Help Badly [Re: slaterracing]
Calvin Pistorio Offline
State Champion Contender

A/S/L: 32/m/maryland
Yeah, really can't see much in the video. It should be taken from a higher point than the approach height, at least sitting on a table or chair.

The one thing I do notice is that you are still sliding after you release the ball, which means early timing but not sure what the reason is for that.
HS:763

#155347 - 09/16/11 11:27 AM Re: Need 10 Pin Help Badly [Re: slaterracing]
mmalsed Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 43/M/Riverside, CA
I think you're rushing it. That's what I do quite a bit and I almost always miss when I rush my 10's.

Slow down. I slow down to where it almost feels (psychologically) like I'm dragging (but I'm told I look my normal speed, and my ball goes normal speed) and focus on smooth and slow, and I hit them.

16# IQ Tour Pearl/16# Crux/16# Marvel S/15#White Dot

"Gotta kick at the darkness 'till it bleeds daylight"

#155361 - 09/16/11 02:46 PM Re: Need 10 Pin Help Badly [Re: CoachJim]
J.Brown Offline
High Roller

A/S/L: 31/Ohio/USA
Originally Posted By: CoachJim
I see people struggle with corner pin spares a lot and most of the time they are finishing with their shoulders square to the foul line, and pulling the ball across themselves to try to hit the target..

Ahhh thank you CoachJim, just this past sunday on my league I was having problem's hitting my 10pin's and I know this is the reason I was doing it. I never thought about that before makes perfect sense.

Edited by J.Brown (09/16/11 02:51 PM)

Grape Vibe
Onyx Vibe
T-Road pearl
Tropical Storm

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Fall/Winter 2018-19 Leagues Thread
by Richie V. - Today at 02:55 PM
New Pro Shop Near My House
by Mkirchie - 11/26/18 05:05 PM
Trying to keep my throw straight
by spr3wr - 11/24/18 08:49 PM
Happy Thanksgiving to all
by djp1080 - 11/22/18 10:49 AM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2018 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.