BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#154531 - 08/23/11 09:37 PM Set new averages or use book averages
Big panda Offline
Bumper Bowler

A/S/L: 36/M
The league I joined votes to use the first night to set the averages every season and every season, bowlers complain about sandbaggers (typically when their team is losing). I learned that other leagues use book averages, which appears to make sense and should prevent those types of complaints. Is one better than the other?

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#154533 - 08/23/11 10:02 PM Re: Set new averages or use book averages [Re: Big panda]
metguy Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 46/m/waverly iowa
The problem with todays game is too many bowlers relate handicap to winning. Its only a factor (for most bowlers) if there is major gaps in how they start out the season. I'm a believer that ALL bowlers use their last seasons average all year. This rewards improvers and pushes the slow starters. If a bowler is new, most leagues have the right to adjust averages accordingly.

Todays league winners aren't usually the best teams but the slowest starters when it comes to what they're averaging and what they will more likely end the season averaging. Its the main reason there is so much debate about what "FAIR" handicap should be.

To answer your question, book average for 3 weeks is the better option for those teams trying from day one of the season and are prepared to bowl. Setting averages after the first night is a benefit for those who are not ready yet feel they deserve to win right away.

This season: HG-289 HS-685
Career #'s : HG-299 HS-782

Arsonal: Heat (Pearl), 2Fast, Blue Hammer, Raptor P7, Fire Road

TRANSITIONING TO MOTIV EQUIPMENT
(CCWBRA)

#154534 - 08/23/11 10:04 PM Re: Set new averages or use book averages [Re: Big panda]
Calvin Pistorio Offline
State Champion Contender

A/S/L: 32/m/maryland
Other than summer leagues, every league I've been in uses averages from the previous season. If you were in the league the season before then that average is used, if not the highest yearbook average. One league used a cumulative average of all leagues you have an average for in the year book. Usually it's for the first 9 games you bowl that season, then your new average is set using those 9 games and then constantly re-calculated every week there after. Is one better than the other, I doubt it as you can still sand bag, or someone could have taken lessons over the summer and vastly improved and shot well over their entering average. I've heard of a few different set ups to try to curtail sandbagging but I think there are still many who could do it where it's not noticeable.
HS:763

#154544 - 08/24/11 12:28 AM Re: Set new averages or use book averages [Re: Big panda]
Atochabsh Offline
USBC Bronze Coach

A/S/L: 50/F/California
I was in a league that used your last year's league average or last book average and you could not drop more then 10 pins off that average for 7 weeks! After 7 weeks then your league cumulative average was finally used. So you would have to sandbag for 7 weeks in order to make any significant headway. Most people will not sandbag for 7 weeks.

#154547 - 08/24/11 04:54 AM Re: Set new averages or use book averages [Re: Atochabsh]
CoachJim Offline
USBC Silver Coach

A/S/L: Reston, Virginia USA
I have seen people trash the first half of the season in a two half season, then the second half they show up with new equipment, and a new "attitude". I don't miss league bowling much at all.

#154556 - 08/24/11 11:10 AM Re: Set new averages or use book averages [Re: Big panda]
Fin09 Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 53/M/Virginia Beach, VA
Using last year's book average for the first 2 or 3 weeks is fair. The only ones who complain about that are the people coming into a low scoring center from the high scoring one they bowled in last year, or the ones who took the summer off and normally take the first few weeks to remember how to bowl. Sandbagging aside, setting an average the first night makes for some pretty extreme situations in week 2 (and sometimes a week or two beyond). Occasionally, you'll have someone shoot way over their head the first night, then not show up for a couple of weeks so their team can use their inflated average as the absentee score. There should be a rule in the bylaws preventing this from being abused (2-3 weeks max, then revert to a low, vacancy score).

Bowl up a Storm!

#154560 - 08/24/11 11:37 AM Re: Set new averages or use book averages [Re: Big panda]
mmalsed Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 43/M/Riverside, CA
I actually had the opposite problem my last season - our "fun" league establishes on the first evening. All well and good, right? Fairly normal?

Yeah - but I bowled 753 . . . WORST night to have my best night! LOL - we rocked all four points that night, but it hurt us the rest of the season!

16# IQ Tour Pearl/16# Crux/16# Marvel S/15#White Dot

"Gotta kick at the darkness 'till it bleeds daylight"

#154587 - 08/25/11 02:32 AM Re: Set new averages or use book averages [Re: Big panda]
Atochabsh Offline
USBC Bronze Coach

A/S/L: 50/F/California
Quote:
Yeah - but I bowled 753 . . . WORST night to have my best night! LOL - we rocked all four points that night, but it hurt us the rest of the season!

Been there done that!!! Took our team an entire 1/2 to cover my outgrageous bowling at the begining of the season.

Erin

#154590 - 08/25/11 09:36 AM Re: Set new averages or use book averages [Re: Big panda]
Dennis Michael Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: M/Barrington, Ill
Ha, shooting 700 on the first night may do the same thing for me. I am not a 233 average bowler.
Legends - L/M Xtreme Damage 15# Strong pearl

#154598 - 08/25/11 11:43 AM Re: Set new averages or use book averages [Re: Atochabsh]
Gemfire Offline
Bracket Donor

A/S/L: 48/F/Everett, WA
Originally Posted By: Atochabsh
Quote:

Been there done that!!! Took our team an entire 1/2 to cover my outgrageous bowling at the begining of the season.

Same thing happened to me the first night of Spring league. First game, I rolled a 298. Everyone kept reminding me that we were establishing averages, but I still ended up shooting over 700. Why couldn't it happen during sweeps?? grin

High Game - 298
High Series - 733

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
PBA 2 Game Formats and Roll-Offs (No Spoilers)
by champ - Yesterday at 05:30 PM
2019 Summer Leagues
by champ - Yesterday at 12:44 AM
Tips to get back to a semi-roller release?
by djp1080 - 07/21/19 07:26 PM
Last Online 10 days ago
by BOSStull - 07/13/19 10:08 AM
Bowling Ball Hall of Fame
by BOSStull - 07/13/19 10:03 AM
2019 USBC Open Championship's Las Vegas
by champ - 07/09/19 12:12 AM
So the 3-unit oil rule is dead.
by wronghander - 06/24/19 11:47 PM
tennis elbow
by TheDemolitionMan - 06/24/19 10:34 AM
Creative Bowling Solutions Power Finger Grips
by MNsportsfan - 06/24/19 09:20 AM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2019 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.