BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#152942 - 06/29/11 01:06 PM Balls layout
pin10standing Offline
Junior Master

A/S/L: 34/male/singapore
Hi everyone i am opening this topic to find out about the layout that the pro bowler use..to begin with anyone knows the layout for michael haugen jr and walter ray williams?thanks

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#152944 - 06/29/11 02:10 PM Re: Balls layout [Re: pin10standing]
B-Hammer Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 30/M/Bellingham WA
I don't know this for fact, but I assume they'll use a variety of layouts depending on what they want the ball to do.

I think a common misconception is that pro-bowlers always bowl the same way no matter what the conditions are, which just isn't true. For example during this year's team shootout, Norm Duke is playing fourth arrow and hooking the whole lane, where you often see him playing straight up two.

Bowling Ball dot Com has some of the pro's favorite layouts listed here http://www.bowlingball.com/info/pro-pin-drilling-layout.html

WRWJ said on his website that he doesn't really pay that much attention to how the ball is drilled as long as he likes the reaction.

#152959 - 06/30/11 03:20 AM Re: Balls layout [Re: B-Hammer]
pin10standing Offline
Junior Master

thanks B hammer, what i find that, the way way walter ray and michael haugen played is much simpler, i read about walter ray wiiams layout, the CG is at the palm and the pin at 1 o'clock. tried to drill my storm fast in a similar fashion and somehow get a similar reaction. Can i know what is a Dual angle layout?

#152968 - 06/30/11 11:55 AM Re: Balls layout [Re: pin10standing]
B-Hammer Offline
Legend

Originally Posted By: pin10standing
thanks B hammer, what i find that, the way way walter ray and michael haugen played is much simpler, i read about walter ray wiiams layout, the CG is at the palm and the pin at 1 o'clock. tried to drill my storm fast in a similar fashion and somehow get a similar reaction. Can i know what is a Dual angle layout?

You need your pap, axis tilt, axis rotation, speed, and revs. You then use that data to create two drilling angles which are adjusted depending on what you want the ball to do. By drilling the ball in this manner it is much easier to fine tune the ball reaction for the conditions and what the bowler wants the ball to do. The angles and ratios can be tweaked for the pattern your bowling on, balance holes can be added to reduce or increase ball reaction.

Why this system exists is because bowlers are like snow flakes, and that unless you bowl exactly the same as someone else you won't have the same stats and as such copying their drilling doesn't make sense because it's for their stats not yours.

That being said ball layout is only part of the big picture, and factors such as surface layout are a bigger factor on ball reaction, but not nearly as much as the bowler themselves, if you want a ball to react like WRWJ on TV then you have to bowl like WRWJ on TV. Keep your hand behind the ball with little rotation, don't tilt the ball, and try to achieve similar speed and revs.

#154310 - 08/18/11 11:49 AM Re: Balls layout [Re: pin10standing]
pin10standing Offline
Junior Master

thanks b hammer i tried it but it seems my ball track run on my finger and thumb hole...why is that so?

#154312 - 08/18/11 12:11 PM Re: Balls layout [Re: pin10standing]
B-Hammer Offline
Legend

Originally Posted By: pin10standing
thanks b hammer i tried it but it seems my ball track run on my finger and thumb hole...why is that so?

The track runs between the finger and thumb, or the oil rings flare over the finger and thumb holes? Can you post a pic, sounds like you need a little axis tilt if your not full rolling.

#154330 - 08/19/11 05:32 AM Re: Balls layout [Re: B-Hammer]
pin10standing Offline
Junior Master

I take a photo shot next time when i bowl...Its the oil ring that runs through the finger and thumb track,.

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Fall/Winter Leagues 2017-18 thread
by IronMike - 1 second ago
I'm pizzed at my ball driller
by Dennis Michael - 04/14/18 04:37 PM
Better Polish
by W9JAB - 04/14/18 09:03 AM
Recommendations requested
by BOSStull - 04/14/18 08:34 AM
It can't come fast enough
by BOSStull - 04/14/18 08:21 AM
Original Gamebreaker
by BOSStull - 04/14/18 07:28 AM
Some awful lane conditions
by Jason_C - 04/09/18 07:08 AM
2018 USBC Open Championships Syracuse NY
by champ - 04/07/18 08:39 PM
A question of degrees
by Fin09 - 04/06/18 01:28 PM
The final cut (Balls in the bag and their job)
by mmalsed - 04/04/18 12:09 PM
For the good of the sport?
by Dylan585 - 03/31/18 11:30 PM
12 pound ball?
by Jason_C - 03/30/18 12:02 PM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2018 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.