BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#152760 - 06/24/11 10:59 AM Progress
DrAvery Offline
Bracket Donor

A/S/L: 33 M Seattle, WA
I've been working with a coach for a few months now, and over the last few weeks, my swing has changed more than the entire year before. We've been working backwards, solving one problem at a time. Last week I was in a state of flux, taking my arm out of the swing. This week, something clicked in practice, and I'm hitting my mark much more consistently. It's more than accuracy. accuracy is a fickle beast, if there's a lot of places for your swing to go wrong. It's simplification and efficiency. I had more places to screw up my swing. the more I simplify, the more consistent I get.

Last week, I adjusted my swing, but it felt wrong. Forced, somehow. Didn't matter: If my coach tells me to shotput the ball 30 feet down the lane (he didn't), then by George, that's what I'm going to do. However, after a week of practice, it started coming naturally. I fixed a handful of things last week. It's the most progress I've ever made all at once.

I'm letting go at the ankle, instead of 30 degrees past it - so I've reduced the room to introduce error significantly. My non-muscled backswing is as completely limp as I can manage, and is staying in a straight pendulum groove. This means the ball goes where I look. And it goes straight forward because the ball is going straight back. This makes the hook more predictable. I'm aiming now by lining up facing my breakpoint target, rather than by trying to throw the ball to a point in front of me. This has reduced arm wear to almost nothing, and has increased my power and revs.

No Arm + release at the ankle = more consistency, more power, more revs, more accuracy.

Time after time, the less I do, the better I get. Evidently, the ball knows what it's doing - I'M the one that sucks. If I could find a way to roll the ball without touching it or picking it up or anything, I'd carry a 300 average. Of course, it's not so simple as just 'doing less'. You have to cut the fat, and leave the meat. And every refinement reveals new underlying problems.

Because my consistency is so much better having reduced these sources of 'off the hand' wild shots, my ability to hit specific parts of the lane - and to adjust - has gone up monumentally. Now when I miss it's mostly because I guessed wrong when I aimed.

All of it clicked together somehow this Wednesday. I was bowling above my average, even with adjusting to a much stronger hooking new ball that had too loose of a thumbhole, and a pound heavier than I'm used to.

I guess it sounds stupid to say it, but it's not what I'm seeing on the scoreboard that I'm excited about. It's what I'm seeing on the lane. My up the 3 board easy drift to the pocket move is more solid than ever, because I'm not pulling left or right as much anymore. But that was the only play I had. Now that I can trust my throw, I can stand way to the left, throw it at the 10 pin (or even further right) and recover. I now have two strike balls: straight up the right, and all the way left. Now all I have to do learn how to throw the stuff in the middle.

And if I don't hit the pocket, I hit the headpin dead on. This sounds awful - and it is - but the important thing here is that I'm hitting the headpin squarely, because my margin of error is tightening. All those Brooklyn were luck of the draw deals anyway. I keep tightening that margin of error, and nailing my first 200 starts to seem possible.

It's just a matter of time.

Next week
My arch nemesis: Footwork.

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#152767 - 06/24/11 02:09 PM Re: Progress [Re: DrAvery]
mmalsed Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 43/M/Riverside, CA
that's what's fun - watching the ball do what you want it to do, and what it wants to do, and seeing it actually happen. . .that's what's addictive! laugh

Nice job!

16# IQ Tour Pearl/16# Crux/16# Marvel S/15#White Dot

"Gotta kick at the darkness 'till it bleeds daylight"

#152770 - 06/24/11 02:26 PM Re: Progress [Re: DrAvery]
metguy Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 46/m/waverly iowa
Sounds like your focus is right and you're understanding what it "REALLY" takes to become better. When people ask me what i scored on any given night its hard for me to answer them because i don't pay attention to score. I focus on Execution, and only Execution. Because, if you're not executing then the result can only be luck. Good "Fortunes" to you in your quest, luck is for beginners...

This season: HG-289 HS-685
Career #'s : HG-299 HS-782

Arsonal: Heat (Pearl), 2Fast, Blue Hammer, Raptor P7, Fire Road

TRANSITIONING TO MOTIV EQUIPMENT
(CCWBRA)

#154271 - 08/16/11 08:50 PM Re: Progress [Re: metguy]
metguy Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 46/m/waverly iowa
[quote=metguy] When people ask me what i scored on any given night its hard for me to answer them because i don't pay attention to score. ... [/quote

Well, tonights practice had my attention (score wise) but only after i was finished. I SET A NEW HIGH IN SERIES. Scores go 269-278-256=803. Its my first ever 800 and even though it was practice it shows improvement.

I credit this site and those on it, without your input it would not have happened. Even though we may disagree from time to time your comments are invaluable.

Area's i went to the center to work on were the backswing and footwork. Next thing i knew, 800...

This season: HG-289 HS-685
Career #'s : HG-299 HS-782

Arsonal: Heat (Pearl), 2Fast, Blue Hammer, Raptor P7, Fire Road

TRANSITIONING TO MOTIV EQUIPMENT
(CCWBRA)

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Summer House Tourney
by Dennis Michael - Yesterday at 04:35 PM
End of Days
by explorer05 - Yesterday at 12:19 PM
Help with grip/ Thumb Position
by 82Boat69 - 07/15/18 08:11 PM
2018 USBC Open Championships Syracuse NY
by Richie V. - 07/10/18 12:19 PM
what will become of AMF
by Dennis Michael - 07/09/18 07:13 AM
I'll try again
by Dennis Michael - 07/06/18 12:32 PM
Summer Leagues 2018 thread
by 6_ball_man - 07/06/18 08:44 AM
Bowling ball colors
by BOSStull - 07/04/18 10:28 AM
Tiered Tape...
by BOSStull - 06/30/18 11:33 AM
no one on for 5 days
by steveA - 06/22/18 04:31 PM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2018 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.