BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#153679 - 07/28/11 03:56 AM Ballfitting and me not understanding the concept
FruitFly Offline
Action Bowler

A/S/L: 29/M/Kiel, Germany
Hey all,

I just finished adjusting my ballfit on paper and I gotta say that I am very surprised.
My Span is 4 3/8" with 1/8 left lateral thumb pitch, stiff fingers (40-45 degrees flexibility), a tight thumb (90 degree to the point) and enough "moistness" to green up some smaller desert.

So what I get is:
Span: 4 1/4"
Thumb pitch: 1/8" reverse
Finger pitch: 1/8" forward
Thumb lateral: 1/8" left

This is surprising to me because in my head the idea of forward thumb pitch and reverse finger pitch had formed.
Forward thumb pitch for hanging on the the ball better and not losing it. Reverse finger pitch for more comfort.

Since I'm only playing for about a year now and never had a good fit thus never developed a consistent release. In fakt I dont think I have A release at all.

I dont care much about revs, but I do care about a good feeling when holding the ball. What I imagine it like is, that I can nearly completely relax my hand with just a BIT of fingerpressure. Also I imagine the ball resting comfortabely in the palm of my hand. But with the above mentioned drillingsettings I imagine my fingers to be bend a lot and having to use a lot of fingerpressure to keep the ball in a solid place.

The reason I'm asking about this and not just try is easy: Money. I dont have too much of it an redrilling costs me my dear lanetime because of the resulting budgetcuts.

Thank you for reading

Edited by FruitFly (07/28/11 03:59 AM)

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#153681 - 07/28/11 07:50 AM Re: Ballfitting and me not understanding the concept [Re: FruitFly]
metguy Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 46/m/waverly iowa
Depending on what you're using for finger inserts, you may be able to get that pitch back to zero.

This season: HG-289 HS-685
Career #'s : HG-299 HS-782

Arsonal: Heat (Pearl), 2Fast, Blue Hammer, Raptor P7, Fire Road

TRANSITIONING TO MOTIV EQUIPMENT
(CCWBRA)

#153685 - 07/28/11 08:02 AM Re: Ballfitting and me not understanding the concept [Re: metguy]
FruitFly Offline
Action Bowler

I think my driller sadly only has these power lift thingies

#153690 - 07/28/11 09:43 AM Re: Ballfitting and me not understanding the concept [Re: FruitFly]
Handful Offline
High Roller

A/S/L: 32/male/St Pete, FL/ usa
Instead of adding alot of reverse, you can shorten the span and this is probably the better option. For yrs its been though you want as much span as possible for good rev rate but this just isn't correct. Most drillers stretch the span too much because of this.
Slingshot

#153693 - 07/28/11 10:37 AM Re: Ballfitting and me not understanding the concept [Re: Handful]
FruitFly Offline
Action Bowler

But dont I need too much grippressure to keep the Ball in a solid position throughout my approach if the span is short?
I imagine that if the span is just right there is no room for my ball to change its position within my hand even if I relax completely.
Sorry if I cant explain it good enough

Edited by FruitFly (07/28/11 11:20 AM)

#153704 - 07/28/11 05:31 PM Re: Ballfitting and me not understanding the concept [Re: FruitFly]
B-Hammer Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 30/M/Bellingham WA
Check out the MoRich fitting guide before you make any adjustments, your pro-shop may or may not have all the required tools to get the fit, but if they do this is the most comprehensive fit you can get: MoRich Fitting Guide

#153721 - 07/29/11 01:56 AM Re: Ballfitting and me not understanding the concept [Re: B-Hammer]
FruitFly Offline
Action Bowler

No need since I used that one for my specs.
And this guide is the problem in itself.
The finger pitch~thumb pitch chart seems so weird to me.
As I said: Why mostly forward-forward?
My reverse-forward I can understand, but I thought the other side would be forward-reverse (Which is what I figured for me bedor using the guide)

#153803 - 08/02/11 05:08 AM Re: Ballfitting and me not understanding the concept [Re: FruitFly]
Handful Offline
High Roller

A/S/L: 32/male/St Pete, FL/ usa
The Morich guide is what I use and would really recommend you stick with this. the pitch of the fingers is primarily determined by your span. Think of these extreame examples and it may help

1. Lets say a 3 yr old comes in to your Pro Shop and wants a bowling ball drilled, with such a small span (lets say 2 inches) you really need both the thumb hole and finger holes angles toward each other (forward forward) this will give sort of a suitcase grip so the child can hold onto the ball without dropping it. Any reverse with either the fingers and/or the thumb would require a super strong deathsqueeze on the ball, only superman baby could hold onto the ball.

2. Next the Jolly Green Giant comes in with his 12 inch span hand and he wants a ball drilled up. Since his span is so long, drilling the ball with zero pitch in both thumb and finger would have the fingers and thumb pointed at each other. Assuming the thumb is fully inserted into this bowling ball, it would be physically impossible to even put fingers into the finger holes unless you had super flexible rubberband fingers.

The correct thumb pitch is what will keep the ball in your hand and not flopping around. Finger pitches really are just a comfort thing but changing span is a better idea, alot of reverse in your fingers and your gonna loose revs and having to squeeze on the ball.
Slingshot

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
no one on for 5 days
by 82Boat69 - 1 second ago
Summer Leagues 2018 thread
by Dennis Michael - Today at 11:12 AM
2018 USBC Open Championships Syracuse NY
by 6_ball_man - Yesterday at 08:42 AM
True Motion vs. Black Widow Urethane
by Mkirchie - 05/20/18 07:28 AM
Fall/Winter Leagues 2017-18 thread
by Dennis Michael - 05/12/18 06:43 PM
For the good of the sport?
by Dennis Michael - 04/29/18 10:29 PM
Superstitions?
by Dennis Michael - 04/26/18 06:09 PM
Better Polish
by BOSStull - 04/24/18 12:24 PM
I'm pizzed at my ball driller
by 82Boat69 - 04/24/18 09:55 AM
Some awful lane conditions
by 82Boat69 - 04/24/18 06:46 AM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2018 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.