BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#153572 - 07/25/11 09:31 AM Benefits of semi roller comapred to full roller?
looseleftie Offline
Hall of Famer Contender

A/S/L: 42 m
Hello,
Been bowling a lot of late, trying to get semi roller, have been trying semi suicase, but after a lot of practise , and I do mean a lot of practise, noticed that it still feels so foreign to me, I guess after spending most of my bowling life coming around the ball, to try and hit up back of ball, and hold a rigid hand in a strange position just asking myself whether I should continue... I have been floundering for months and months between various changes to my game, with sporadic success... My approach, and speed feel good, but my hand position in approach and upon release are like YUKK.. Some good balls, then poor balls...

I understand that the semi roller has the more favourable axis position to help cary and keep the pins flying around in more horiontal position... I just suck at it.. The full roller has the less favourable axis tilt, yet is the more consistant by far in relation to release..

I would like to go back to full roller, but am looking for some advice..

PS My game is like the weather, always changing, but in last month, have gotten many things sorted out, just my release, which is pivotal to my game, just plain inconsistant..

PPS I don't like clogging up the board/forum with all my dramas just would like some advice, I guess that I am just kinda fed up, with my technical and physical hang ups.. My scoreshave gone only downhill, which is hard to take, but I always look at positives, yet, my release is the bane of my life... Hence advice on full roller?

Always appreciative of all advice.
Cheers
Looseleftie

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#153608 - 07/26/11 04:42 AM Re: Benefits of semi roller comapred to full roller? [Re: looseleftie]
CoachJim Offline
USBC Silver Coach

A/S/L: Reston, Virginia USA
Here are some pros and cons of using a full roller:

Pros
1. Consistent ball reaction.

2. You are left handed so you don't need to cover as many boards.

Cons
1. Ball rolls so early that it tends to burn out quick and not carry.

2. You have two drilling patterns as opposed to many.

3. Ball tends to roll over fingers and thumb causing weak erratic ball reaction.

If you want to learn to throw a semi roller Track properly, you should focus on rotating your fingers outside of your thumb. Full roller type bowlers tend to let the thumb rotate outside of the fingers like a back up ball, this sets the Track between the thumb and fingers. If you can turn the ball like a door [censored], it will send the thumb back to the inside and allow the Track to stay outside of the fingers and thumb.

#153619 - 07/26/11 06:35 PM Re: Benefits of semi roller comapred to full roller? [Re: looseleftie]
J_w73 Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 37/M/Northern CA
I honestly can't figure out how someone throws a full roller. I Track pretty high but not over the thumb hole or close to a full roller.. There was a full roller on my team and it looked like he released the ball just like everyone else.
I couldn't figure it out.

#153624 - 07/26/11 08:57 PM Re: Benefits of semi roller comapred to full roller? [Re: looseleftie]
looseleftie Offline
Hall of Famer Contender

thanks for the replies guys, appreciated.

Yes Jw I don't know how I seem to get a full roller either lol?!?!, my hand is behind (mostly) the ball, and lift from the back of ball, with fingers at 5 o'clock.. My release is too inconsistant, still I'm not giving up, even now my release is only marginally better..

Hey Coach, I guess throwing it over either finger hole or thumb hole is a big no no. Less traction on lanes and getting ball into process from skid,roll and hook delayed or signicantly reduced from this.....

Bowled yesterday, tried to throw it like I use to, and noticed Track was just the same as the way I currently bowl now... God I wish I could have learnt the right way to bowl from the beginning..

#153638 - 07/27/11 04:59 AM Re: Benefits of semi roller comapred to full roller? [Re: looseleftie]
CoachJim Offline
USBC Silver Coach

Try bringing the fingers from 3 or 4 o'clock and see if that helps, if not try bringing them from 7 or 8 o'clock, you never know what will happen unless you try different things.

The key is to let your thumb exit the ball first, then turn the fingers, if your thumb doesn't exit the ball when it should, this can cause a full roller sometimes.

Edited by CoachJim (07/27/11 05:00 AM)

#153640 - 07/27/11 06:06 AM Re: Benefits of semi roller comapred to full roller? [Re: looseleftie]
looseleftie Offline
Hall of Famer Contender

Cheers Coach, off to lanes shorty, and will try having more of a pronounced hand turn say fingers at 8 o'clock (little more than wahat I usually use, give it a go, want to get Track outside of both middle finger and thumb, at present till cross middle finger, with an inch or two outside of thumb....

My game in terms of approach,speed,balance are all developing nicely, but release grrrrr...

#153662 - 07/27/11 04:40 PM Re: Benefits of semi roller comapred to full roller? [Re: looseleftie]
CoachJim Offline
USBC Silver Coach

Take some video of your release and try to slow it down, you will see right away what you are doing.

#153780 - 08/01/11 04:50 AM Re: Benefits of semi roller comapred to full roller? [Re: CoachJim]
FruitFly Offline
Action Bowler

A/S/L: 29/M/Kiel, Germany
I'm beginning to get a "better" release, which sadly brings a load of problems with it.
My release is not yet consistant, but I'd say I'm a semi roller.
The greatest problem is, that my houseshot is very dry.
So I either have to play the ball "very" fast (raised it shoulder high at the start), or more inside. The fast method leads to more inconsistancies and the moving inside to a lot of weak hits.

Is there another way to increase skid? So far my Track is not that far away from my thumb-/fingerholes (which if I understand it right means, that my axis tilt is not that high). Might a greater distance (and thus a smaller oil ring) help with my problem, or is a high axis tilt always bad?
And is my understanding, that I might be able to achieve this by using a broken wrist correct?

Is there maybe a good educational site on the web that explains the cause and effect relations of the Track? (Using google I found nothing good).

Thanks for reading

Edited by FruitFly (08/01/11 05:04 AM)

#153781 - 08/01/11 09:16 AM Re: Benefits of semi roller comapred to full roller? [Re: looseleftie]
VFF57 Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 50's/M/NJ
Quote:
Is there another way to increase skid?

You can try targeting further down lane or learn how to change axis rotation with your new release. Check this out:

http://bowlingknowledge.info/images/stories/slowinski_4_point_btm_nov_2006.pdf
-------------------------
Motiv: Raptor P7
MoRich: Aggressive Motion
Storm: VG,Crossroad,NP
Hammer: Spike,Psycho,Raw Anger,
Cherry Vibe,Taboo Plastic/Spare,
Black Hammer
Columbia: White Dot

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Fall '14 virtual league announcements & discussion
by SteveH - 21 minutes 56 seconds ago
Up to five bowlers needed to fill virtual league
by Richie V. - Today at 03:05 PM
Fall/Winter Leagues 2014-15 thread
by Richie V. - Today at 03:03 PM
need some coaching
by mmalsed - Today at 12:46 PM
Summer Leagues 2014 thread
by svengali - Today at 12:07 PM
Trying to get back into it!
by Dennis Michael - Today at 10:08 AM
Leagues that simply aren't social :(
by MDLee3 - Yesterday at 10:43 PM
Brunswick sold
by Richie V. - Yesterday at 09:27 PM
what will become of AMF
by Richie V. - Yesterday at 09:21 PM
Ball Damage and a Question
by Mkirchie - Yesterday at 02:04 PM
Confused I have been at this
by Rick S - 08/20/14 06:59 PM
Quiet Eye
by Doogie - 08/20/14 09:04 AM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2014 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.