BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#153066 - 07/04/11 11:28 AM locking wrist into a semi suitcase release??
looseleftie Offline
Hall of Famer Contender

A/S/L: 45 m
Hi,
I regrettably upon release come right around ball, thus full roller track, I have decided after 11 yrs of releasing ball incorrectly, to try and get it right! Anyway, I have been checking out plenty of PBA bowlers and the like on you tube, and noticed the little counter clockwise movement with their hand before releasing ball from behind and side of ball. I was wondering whether I can lock my hand at the beginning of my delivery into a semi suitcase release and lift from the side and behind ball??? I still lift up and behind the ball, it's just more to the side??

I hope this makes sense, my reasoning was to keep it simple in release, less extra movement with hand..
Love all thoughts on this.
Cheers

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#153068 - 07/04/11 12:06 PM Re: locking wrist into a semi suitcase release?? [Re: looseleftie]
B-Hammer Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 30/M/Bellingham WA
Sounds like you want to do the "money shot" release.

See 1:16 for explination.

#153069 - 07/04/11 12:20 PM Re: locking wrist into a semi suitcase release?? [Re: looseleftie]
aoiten Offline
Legend

A/S/L: amerika ni sunde iru
You could lock into suitcase position, but no. If you have a true full-roller track, "just" change the direction in which you turn your hand.

Try the following two things:

1. C0ck your hand so that the fingers are to the inside of the ball. If your index finger is spread wide, it will point roughly forward. If not, the gap between your index finger and thumb will face roughly forward.

2. Turn your hand slightly to the outside of the ball around release time. That is the turning-the-doorknob motion. You can practise it by spiraling an inflatable ball or by turning a HUGE doorknob.

(I wonder if people turn doorknobs in different directions.)

Temporarily using a wrist positioner or having someone guide your hand through the motion could help. That's what worked for my wife who converted from back-up to full-roller to semi-roller. Back-up and full-roller use similar wrist motions. The semi-roller is opposite.

Keep in mind that Belmo tracks very high and has success with it. So does Tom Smallwood. Pros in general seem to avoid tracking low.

#153082 - 07/04/11 11:29 PM Re: locking wrist into a semi suitcase release?? [Re: looseleftie]
looseleftie Offline
Hall of Famer Contender

B-Hammer, yeah thats brilliant, the money release, thats what I want exactly...Thanks heaps..

Aoiten, yeah I do have an old Mongoose wrist protector at home somewhere, I might try the above mentioned money release, then if still having problems, I will definately give it a go. Cheers mate..

I like the idea of having fewer movements in my release... Less moving parts, less to go wrong perhaps.. Either way, I will try it...Bowling tomorrow can't wait to try this release out.

#153083 - 07/05/11 01:17 AM Re: locking wrist into a semi suitcase release?? [Re: looseleftie]
aoiten Offline
Legend

The Mongoose might not work well for a two-hander. I withdraw that suggestion. The wrist movements are more cupped and dynamic than simple wrist devices allow.

Suitcasing...I'm curious to find out what happens. If that doesn't work for you, maybe try simplifying the earlier suggestion. Just c0ck your wrist throughout the swing, then relax it for the release without even thinking about turning the hand.

In other words, the less CONSCIOUSLY moved parts, the less that might go wrong.

#153084 - 07/05/11 03:44 AM Re: locking wrist into a semi suitcase release?? [Re: looseleftie]
looseleftie Offline
Hall of Famer Contender

Aoiten,I found it, yeah it does limit whether u cup or not, I'l put it away for the present..

I have been on holidays here, it is wet and cold, definately an indoors kinda day so I got a ball out put some cushions in front of the couch and began practising at home.. It was fun, even recorded my release, it looks a bit on and off, but need to get on the lanes to get a better picture of what is happening..Just focused on getting that "money" release.. The hardest thing is to get that hand position fixed on every shot, except for flattening hand out for spares..Any slight variances in angle can spell trouble 60ft down the lane...

#153091 - 07/05/11 08:53 AM Re: locking wrist into a semi suitcase release?? [Re: looseleftie]
VFF57 Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 50's/M/NJ
looseleftie, if your changing your release why not work on staying up the back of the ball? From there, you could come around the side of the ball a little with just your fingers adding side rotation and revs. I think this would give you more flexibility allowing for multiple releases. Unless you have a very strong wrist the suitcase style may still allow your hand to turnover with the ball.

Bowling releases are like a reflexive habit and is hard to change. It's going to take a lot of drills and practice so why not try and get more out of it. Unless of course this is the style you prefer which is good for down and in.

Just my two cents worth....
-------------------------
Motiv: Raptor P7
MoRich: Aggressive Motion
Storm: VG,Crossroad,NP
Hammer: Spike,Psycho,Raw Anger,
Cherry Vibe,Taboo Plastic/Spare,
Black Hammer
Columbia: White Dot

#153098 - 07/05/11 09:07 PM Re: locking wrist into a semi suitcase release?? [Re: looseleftie]
looseleftie Offline
Hall of Famer Contender

Couldn't wait till tonight, went bowling last night.. Tried the money release, to varying amounts of success.. Straight from the get go, got a semi roller release, speed was up, and using straight arm, left bowling with no elbow pain, for the first time, no dull ache which is great..

Scores were irrelovant, I'm feeling like this is the way to go long term, now practise and practise..

VFF57, I find that the semi suitacase is a compromise , at least for the moment.. I do try and hit up from behind the ball, it's just that my hand upon release is a little to the side, similar release to a normal hook release, I just haven't generated the extra turn in fingers prior to release..I lock my hand in to the side (only a little).. At times I still come right around ball, yes bad habits hard to break, but when I get it right, it's very encouraging...

#153214 - 07/11/11 12:53 AM Re: locking wrist into a semi suitcase release?? [Re: looseleftie]
aoiten Offline
Legend

How's it going?

#153215 - 07/11/11 02:23 AM Re: locking wrist into a semi suitcase release?? [Re: looseleftie]
looseleftie Offline
Hall of Famer Contender

yeah, getting there, ball seems to hook harder or break harder before entering pocket.. Track line is outside of thumb hole now, rather than a ful roller..

Still inconsistant, have also been trying a 3 step delivery, trying to get rid of my drift and corkscrewing at fouline... my third step flares out, have been watching Schaub bowl, love his approach, so straight and foot nice and straight at fouline..

I'm forever changing my style over last 8 months, but now I know that I need to change some things in my game if I am to continue bowling 2 handed, or even bowling at all long term..Focusing on straight arm in down and backswing, and planting foot straight at fouline.. Have had regular discomfort with both bowling arm (bent in approach) and knee soreness, this is my bodies way of telling me that I need to change what I am doing...

Took my kids bowling with me an hour ago, just beat my kids with a whopping 132 game, so there is plenty to work on lol...

How about you? Hows your bowling going??

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Fall/Winter 2018-19 Leagues Thread
by Richie V. - 10/18/18 04:06 PM
Mo Pinel "Striking Effectively In Today's Game"
by BOSStull - 10/14/18 06:16 AM
Buying new house shoes.
by BOSStull - 10/11/18 05:58 AM
Storm/Roto Grip MatchMaker Live
by BOSStull - 10/11/18 05:44 AM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2018 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.