BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#152510 - 06/18/11 02:00 PM What do you think of when u see 2-handed bowler?
tovarnak Offline
Bracket Donor

A/S/L: 24/M/Slovakia
What does came to your mind at first when you see someone bowling with 2-hands? Is it smth like respect for trying new style or is it "hmm, 2-hands are lame" or maybe just nothing at all and see them as any other bowler?
The reason why I am asking this is that I see 2-handed style as some kind of "cheat" (well, not exactly cheat but you dont need to do basically anything and still get revs+speed as pba pros). I like to try things so I played few times with two hands (mostly after my first surgery when I couldnt hold ball with my thumb), but It felt too easy. My velocity enhances, accuracy and consistency as well, just destroying pins (only problems are caused by 6/9/10 pin spares). Maybe I am just naturally good at it, but I didnt need to practice 2-handed to get smooth, consistant and powerfull release. Actually my highest official score comes from playing 2 handed (279, but on the other hand, I have one-handed 278 from times before surgery). Atm I have problems with finding a way to properly release a ball with thumb in it (drilling changes + no coach = big problem), which is not a problem in nothumb style. On the other hand, I just love high backswing with that slap move at the bottom, it looks good and much more pro (always makes me smile when I see ppl in bowling center staring at me putting ball way above my head :P ). I am tempted to stick with 2-handed style (maybe I will be forced if my 2nd wrist surgery wont fix problems Ive been having), but I am not sure how other people (I mean other non-casual) bowlers feel about it.
#15 C300 Encounter
#15 Hammer Swagga
#15 DV8 Hellraiser
#15 Brunswick Slingshot
#15 Storm Anarchy
#15 Columbia 300 White Dot Blackberry

High score: 295

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#152514 - 06/18/11 03:04 PM Re: What do you think of when u see 2-handed bowler? [Re: tovarnak]
aoiten Offline
Legend

A/S/L: amerika ni sunde iru
If you care that much about how other people think about the style, then give it up now. If you want a certain look to your style, then do that. However, it sounds to me that two-handing is a good match for you and I would encourage you to stick with it and reach your full potential.

#152515 - 06/18/11 03:22 PM Re: What do you think of when u see 2-handed bowler? [Re: tovarnak]
aoiten Offline
Legend

Edited by aoiten (06/18/11 03:37 PM)

#152532 - 06/19/11 12:48 AM Re: What do you think of when u see 2-handed bowler? [Re: tovarnak]
aoiten Offline
Legend

OK, you asked for personal reactions to seeing a two-hander...

Hey, a two-hander! If it's a young kid, I think to myself, "That's how it starts. Makes sense."

Then it's on to observation/questioning mode. Is the person serious about the style or just messing around with it? How does the person's style compare to other two-hander styles? Is the person good or show potential? Is the 10-pin or 7-pin safe from harm?

I saw an excellent one-hander roll two-handed in a tournament. I was delightfully shocked. He described it as his "F-it" technique. haha He did strike with it. He also used it for a back-up shot.

I saw another excellent one-hander do a two-handed back-up shot at a 10-pin, but he missed it. heh Another pleasant surprise though.

It's nice to watch people with their variety of styles take down the pins. Especially when they do it at high levels such as the PBA. I'd like to see Brian Valenta more. Osku should come over for more PBA events. Belmo is my favourite though. There are also some two-handers on the Team USA and Junior Team USA. I see more locally as well. I'm good with that. It gives me company. haha

#152540 - 06/19/11 03:11 AM Re: What do you think of when u see 2-handed bowler? [Re: tovarnak]
B-Hammer Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 30/M/Bellingham WA
I have yet to see a good two handed bowler in my area. All the two handers are 140 - 160 average and it seems like they took it up as a short cut to getting the ball to hook like a lot of no thumb one handed bowlers.

#152543 - 06/19/11 07:54 AM Re: What do you think of when u see 2-handed bowler? [Re: B-Hammer]
Mkirchie Offline
Pro of the Year Contender

A/S/L: 37/M/New Jersey
I think of loud, distracting water bottles! laugh

Seriously answering the question, there are none that I know of where I bowl that bowl two-handed seriously. I've seen a few people who were bowling one-handed switch for a few shots, but only when I am practicing, I've never seen it in league. I've also never seen an adult bowl two-handed at my house, it's usually a teenager. Usually, I think that I'm never going to try that, I can't even bowl well thumbless let alone two-handed. But, if that is what someone wants to do, so be it, I really don't form an opinion of them.

Mark

#152565 - 06/19/11 02:09 PM Re: What do you think of when u see 2-handed bowler? [Re: tovarnak]
aoiten Offline
Legend

You can bowl two-handed with the thumb, partial thumb, and thumbless. There are variations to it just as there are for one-handed approaches. So, yeah, it's just a matter of preference or need.

#152569 - 06/19/11 03:42 PM Re: What do you think of when u see 2-handed bowler? [Re: tovarnak]
aoiten Offline
Legend

Belmo just wrote this: "I have spent my entire career labeled a cheat because of the technique I have developed. I have spent years proving that I only beat you on the lanes because I was better than you on the day, not because I am breaking rules or trying to put people off."

#152591 - 06/20/11 10:29 AM Re: What do you think of when u see 2-handed bowler? [Re: tovarnak]
VFF57 Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 50's/M/NJ
Reminds me of a young bowler/child who cannot handle the full weight of the ball with one hand. Iím not making a derogatory statement against two handed bowlers itís just what I think of when I see someone handling the ball like itís heavy.
-------------------------
Motiv: Raptor P7
MoRich: Aggressive Motion
Storm: VG,Crossroad,NP
Hammer: Spike,Psycho,Raw Anger,
Cherry Vibe,Taboo Plastic/Spare,
Black Hammer
Columbia: White Dot

#152592 - 06/20/11 10:46 AM Re: What do you think of when u see 2-handed bowler? [Re: VFF57]
Calvin Pistorio Offline
State Champion Contender

A/S/L: 32/m/maryland
Originally Posted By: VFF57
Reminds me of a young bowler/child who cannot handle the full weight of the ball with one hand.

The lone two hander I know about in my area, that's exactly how he started. As a young boy of maybe 5 years he wanted to use his father's bowling balls, which were 16 lbs. Obviously the only way he could was by shoveling them down the lane two handed. He bowled that way throughout his youth league career. I meet the young man about 5 maybe 6 years ago when he was 14 or so, in a merchandise league we both joined one summer. He was pretty consistent, averaging close to 200. A couple of years later he was talking about trying to bowl one handed but he still is a two hander. About 2 years ago he moved up to adult leagues and is carrying a pretty high average and is very consistent and has a lot smoother form than some bowlers who have more experience on the lanes than he has been alive. I do believe he does put his thumb in the ball as well, as I know some of his father's older equipment had the thumb plugged and moved closer to the fingers.

So just like anyone I see bowling, when I see a two hander I try to see how consistent the bowler is, and how good they are at repeating shot after shot.
HS:763

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Any interest in a winter virtual league?
by SteveH - Yesterday at 10:22 PM
Nothing worse than falling apart late in a game
by Jason_C - Yesterday at 10:04 PM
Fall/Winter Leagues 2017-18 thread
by Richie V. - Yesterday at 09:15 PM
Which ball
by djp1080 - Yesterday at 06:18 PM
Entry Angle
by djp1080 - Yesterday at 12:09 PM
Honor scores 2017-18
by Fin09 - 11/17/17 07:27 PM
My low track
by Jason_C - 11/17/17 01:38 PM
Back-up Bowling
by djp1080 - 11/16/17 08:31 PM
Has this happenned to any one
by 82Boat69 - 11/14/17 01:24 PM
Two handed with pinky and ring
by Dylan585 - 11/13/17 02:48 PM
2017 U.S. Open
by Dylan585 - 11/12/17 05:48 PM
Storm Hy-Road Surface
by SteveH - 11/05/17 09:51 PM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2017 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.