BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#157449 - 10/31/11 10:20 PM Re: Bowling Two Handed Thread ***** [Re: KahKiat]
KahKiat Offline
Action Bowler

A/S/L: Male, Singapore
The following post is not trying to offend anyone, but just some point of view with bowling.

Guys, we been hearing all sorts of similar stories from people everywhere. Saying that, people who bowl with two handed. Is probably just some form of habit that a person develop when he/she unable to bowl with heavy when he/she was young. Over the time, this becomes a habit/bowling form that stick with him/her even when he/her grow up. Then many people may criticize saying such bowlers, will be sucky/unable when to be ask to bowl with one hand.

Even our spinner bowling style, in western bowling teachings/books. Will often say that, spinner ball reaction is a form of mistake/bad habit. When a bowler tries to overturn his/her wrist, resulting in a form of weak release.

So the conclusions are:

1. Are two handed bowling style develop from young, when the bowlers unable to bowl with heavy balls. Over the time, this becomes a form of habit. In the end, it turns out to become a bowling style?

2. The so called mistakes in bowling. Spinner shots & etc. In the end, we try to study/understand & perfect it. It becomes something useful, respected & new technique?

Spinner:

Spinner: A method of delivering a shot so that only the small portion of the ball (around the 7 o'clock position for right-handers and 5 o'clock for lefties) is in contact with the lane. As a rule this is not a very successful shot for maximizing carrying power and thus is rarely employed by the better bowlers.

The spinner has a track a good distance from the thumb and finger holes and uses a very small cir- cumference. It is created by using a twisting turn with the wrist and the thumb turning sharply downwards, which will cause the track to be slightly tilted. Then it becomes a strong spin like a top. The forward momentum created by the approach and pendulum swing causes the ball to move down the lane, although spinning on a very small area of the ball.

The spinning movement of the ball when it hits the pocket lays the pins down horizontally so they, in turn, knock down further pins. Again, it will maintain its line on extreme hooking conditions but on very oily lanes with oil carried down the ball will be strongly deflected.

The problem with this type of delivery is that there's no real angle of entry force into the pocket, and accuracy and consistency of release vary because it is difficult to repeat the strong wrist rotation. If the spin movement is not strong enough on dry conditions, the ball could stop spinning and just roll for- ward.

Two Handed:

Edited by KahKiat (10/31/11 10:32 PM)

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#157500 - 11/01/11 09:45 PM Re: Bowling Two Handed Thread [Re: KahKiat]
KahKiat Offline
Action Bowler

#157546 - 11/02/11 05:41 PM Re: Bowling Two Handed Thread [Re: KahKiat]
TheDemolitionMan Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 23/Male/California, US
Originally Posted By: KahKiat

1. Are two handed bowling style develop from young, when the bowlers unable to bowl with heavy balls. Over the time, this becomes a form of habit. In the end, it turns out to become a bowling style?

First of all, you are talking about the Belmo and Osku style of thumbless two-handed bowling what I affectionately call the Kamehameha Style. Technically, no bowler is one-handed unless he or she uses only one hand for the entire approach. Now on to the question.

I don't know really. When you're young is the best time to learn and teach the body things. As it becomes familiar and recorded into muscle memory you well get better and better. It really doesn't matter as long as you gain experience and practice with an open mind. As for a habit, DUH! That's what practice is, Belmo-style, spinner style, palm bowling, or more traditional style. That's is the point of practice; to get the muscles to act in habitual ways. We just like big fancy titles like muscle memory.

As for two-handed bowlers being young and not being able to bowl with heavy balls. That's how Belmonte developed his game. It would certainly polarize the viewpoint that way However, last year or the year before, WJW Jr. was bowling two-handed to get more side rotation on his balls and get a better reaction, in his 50s mind you. Personally, I think more people are developing it for the power in allots them in terms of carry as well as, generating a potentially better entry angle.

Originally Posted By: KahKiat

2. The so called mistakes in bowling. Spinner shots & etc. In the end, we try to study/understand & perfect it. It becomes something useful, respected & new technique?[/b]

I don't really get what you mean. If that's your style of play then yes, and others be damned. As long as you understand the style as a whole and know it's pros and cons, can perform it consistently and make adjustments I say yeah. Here's an example for you, I know a bowler who averages anywhere better 190-210(usually closer to 210), but he chicken wings every single shot. That may be something for somebody to look at, study and maybe even adopt into their game. But in my game it serves no purpose, a chicken wing for my preferred style of play is a pulled shot or 3 count. So I exclude that technique from my game but acknowledge that that bowler has something good going on for him.

As for the Spinner, Palm bowler, etc. those styles have their advantages, but I know my capabilities and body as well. So I adopt the style or multiple techniques to me. I don't include them in my game save for the occasional time I want to roll the ball like Belmo or Osku. Biomechanically, my body feels the most at ease and best using a traditional style approach, free swing, and strong release...with some tweaks. My wrist can't handle the strain of the spinner style or a palm bowling style. And for the Belmo-style, my lower back gets strained if I'm off in the slightest. So I don't practice them. My point is that it is a person to person thing really.

In terms of respect, I don't know where to go with that one. I think there will be a bit more discrimination against those that don't use the traditional methods. Mostly because that's how the sport developed and that is how a majority of the coaches are and do teach. However, if you score well, who really cares how you do. 10 in the pit is an X in every (ten pin)bowling alley. Besides, if you go out of your way to get respect, you're an approval junkie. And regardless of who you are or how you bowl, you'll get smashed into the ground. I don't think Belmonte or Osku really went out of their way to say, "Hey! Hey! Look at what I can do." (Maybe they did IDK) They bowled their way and let everybody else be damned.

Be like water making its way through cracks. Don't be assertive, but adjust to the object, and you shall find a way around or through it. If nothing within you stays rigid, outward things will disclose themselves.

#157729 - 11/06/11 09:55 AM Re: Bowling Two Handed Thread [Re: KahKiat]
KahKiat Offline
Action Bowler

Edited by KahKiat (11/06/11 09:55 AM)

#157943 - 11/10/11 01:39 AM Re: Bowling Two Handed Thread [Re: KahKiat]
KahKiat Offline
Action Bowler

Edited by KahKiat (11/10/11 01:39 AM)

#157961 - 11/10/11 10:06 AM Re: Bowling Two Handed Thread [Re: KahKiat]
KahKiat Offline
Action Bowler

Edited by KahKiat (11/10/11 10:40 AM)

#158949 - 12/01/11 05:50 PM Re: Bowling Two Handed Thread [Re: KahKiat]
KahKiat Offline
Action Bowler

#158961 - 12/02/11 06:18 AM Re: Bowling Two Handed Thread [Re: KahKiat]
KahKiat Offline
Action Bowler

#161279 - 01/21/12 09:29 AM Re: Bowling Two Handed Thread [Re: KahKiat]
KahKiat Offline
Action Bowler

#161307 - 01/22/12 06:29 AM Re: Bowling Two Handed Thread [Re: KahKiat]
looseleftie Offline
Hall of Famer Contender

A/S/L: 50m
Well done mate, keeping the 2 handers updated with more vids.. I appreciate, and I'm sure the few 2 handers on this site do as well.

Wheres your vid of yourself though? I'm waiting for it lol..

Keep up the great work..
Looseleftie

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Who is itching to get back on the lanes
by looseleftie - 09/20/20 05:02 PM
Bowled a few games at South Point in Las Vegas
by goobee - 09/03/20 04:38 PM
Roto-Grip Rubicon Video Ball Review
by sk8shorty01 - 08/25/20 05:50 PM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2020 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.