BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#152226 - 06/08/11 01:05 PM Re: How do you bowl on "very" dry lanes? [Re: sk8shorty01]
Pre-emptive Strike Offline
Bracket Donor

A/S/L: 27/M/NY
Originally Posted By: sk8shorty01
When you change your hand position bring in your index as well as your pinkie, not just the index.

If you just bring the index you are tricking the ball to make it promote earlier roll, this is not always what you want on the dry stuff. By bringing in both you lower your axis of rotation, which will remove the big snap and burn on the backend and instead tame the ball down so that it will be a little more user friendly.

Another option on dry lanes is to go to loft. Loft is a good tool if its done correctly, and attempting to throw the ball up is not the best way to do it. The easiest way, in my opinion, is to have a taller position at the line. Use less knee bend and the ball will be in the air longer which means it sees less of the lane surface.

Great tips! Thank you

I yet to truly use loft as I'm still a newbie, but I def want to try this/incorporate it into my game. If I can do this and use the hand position (if necessary), I'd be able to keep the Tropical Breeze on these torched lanes, which hits a heck of alot harder than my plastic ball. When I actually throw a good shot into the pocket on these lanes which is 30% or less, I don't want to see an ugly split or a solid 10.

So I got it...stay upright when approaching the fouline

Btw, does hitting light into the pocket have anything to do with entry angle? or is it merely where the ball ends up in relation to the pins (hitting more of the 3 pin for a right hander)

Summer League Average (first league): 193

High Game: 247
High Series: 645

In the bag:
15# RotoGrip Rising Star
15# Storm Tropical Breeze
15# Columbia White Dot
14# Columbia Scout Reactive

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#152271 - 06/10/11 09:33 AM Re: How do you bowl on "very" dry lanes? [Re: Pre-emptive Strike]
Bracket Donor

Sk8Shorty01,

I took a lesson last night from a local coach and learned some valuable tips. He told me that loft hooks the ball more, which I found to be correct after experimenting later in the night. My Rising Star isn't quite enough ball I need to get to the pocket cleanly on a fresh oil pattern so I found that lofting helped get it there a bit.

You mentioned that I should loft to get the ball further down the lane on dry conditions, are you sure the ball won't grab too much and send it further left?

Basically on dry conditions, should I be rolling the ball with practically zero loft? or stand upright and get it further down the lane?

In the bag:
15# RotoGrip Rising Star
15# Columbia White Dot

#152272 - 06/10/11 11:11 AM Re: How do you bowl on "very" dry lanes? [Re: Pre-emptive Strike]
mmalsed Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 43/M/Riverside, CA
You have a couple of options:

1. Move toward the center to find what oil is there. There should be SOME in the center.

2. Use more roll.

When I'm on this condition, I pull in my pinky and stick out my first finger (I also do this on my 10-pins)

Just don't keep doing the same thing expecting different results. . . be willing to experiment! laugh

16# IQ Tour Pearl/16# Crux/16# Marvel S/15#White Dot

"Gotta kick at the darkness 'till it bleeds daylight"

#152279 - 06/10/11 03:46 PM Re: How do you bowl on "very" dry lanes? [Re: Pre-emptive Strike]
ebon betta Offline
Team USA Contender

A/S/L: 54/m/nyc /ny2
Only thing I can say is badly....
Grab the plastic ball and try not to leave a dozen splits.

#152281 - 06/10/11 04:21 PM Re: How do you bowl on "very" dry lanes? [Re: ebon betta]
Bracket Donor

Originally Posted By: ebon betta
Only thing I can say is badly....
Grab the plastic ball and try not to leave a dozen splits.

Hey I noticed you're from nyc. Where do you bowl? I bowl in a league at port authority. If you've ever bowled there or at Bowlmor, you'll understand exactly what I'm talking about. I refuse to give up, if I shoot a couple of 200+ games I'll be satisfied.

In the bag:
15# RotoGrip Rising Star
15# Columbia White Dot

#152282 - 06/10/11 04:53 PM Re: How do you bowl on "very" dry lanes? [Re: Pre-emptive Strike]
ebon betta Offline
Team USA Contender

A/S/L: 54/m/nyc /ny2
I'm in queens....bowl at "astoria Lanes" on 49 st.

#152350 - 06/13/11 07:16 AM Re: How do you bowl on "very" dry lanes? [Re: Pre-emptive Strike]
sk8shorty01 Offline
Virtual League Champion x2

A/S/L: 30/M/Merritt Island, FL
Originally Posted By: Pre-emptive Strike
Sk8Shorty01,

I took a lesson last night from a local coach and learned some valuable tips. He told me that loft hooks the ball more, which I found to be correct after experimenting later in the night. My Rising Star isn't quite enough ball I need to get to the pocket cleanly on a fresh oil pattern so I found that lofting helped get it there a bit.

You mentioned that I should loft to get the ball further down the lane on dry conditions, are you sure the ball won't grab too much and send it further left?

Basically on dry conditions, should I be rolling the ball with practically zero loft? or stand upright and get it further down the lane?

Loft does not increase hook, its lifting the ball that causes increased hook. Hitting up on the ball causes you to lose momentum going forward, thus the ball hooks earlier because it loses momentum faster. Lofting the ball, correctly (hard to do), is very different. The momentum is still going forward, but the body position is higher so the roll is the same.

It is something that is difficult to learn to do, but once you do its a very valuable tool.

Your coach is not wrong, I think they are just attempting to make sure you do not hit up on it because when most people think loft, they think throw it in the air. Its all a learning curve, what was told to you at first was wrong is then added in later as being right, I believe this is the case.

Until you learn enough fundamentally it is going to be difficult to do without hitting the ball, after you progress you will notice things are added that were originally scaled back or removed.
IAB Staff Member

PBA Member
USBC Level 1 Certified Coach
Head Coach - Cocoa High School

Career 300 games - 5
Career 800 series - 6
High Scratch Series - 823

#152360 - 06/13/11 12:10 PM Re: How do you bowl on "very" dry lanes? [Re: Pre-emptive Strike]
aoiten Offline
Legend

A/S/L: amerika ni sunde iru
After bowling on very dry lanes last night, I've decided to quite that "fun" league. It was so bad that I switched from my two-handed approach with a urethane or plastic ball to a one-handed straight shot using a house ball and did better! I actually thought of reverting to spinning, but then I thought, playing on concrete is not helping me at all. The modern sport is all about oil patterns and ball reactions.

I just realised that I could have tried using my spare shooting technique on the first ball to have a straighter, more predictable line. That would have been good practise. Ironically, I was able to hit the corner pins. I just couldn't hit much else.

#152365 - 06/13/11 12:58 PM Re: How do you bowl on "very" dry lanes? [Re: aoiten]
Bracket Donor

Originally Posted By: aoiten
After bowling on very dry lanes last night, I've decided to quite that "fun" league. It was so bad that I switched from my two-handed approach with a urethane or plastic ball to a one-handed straight shot using a house ball and did better! I actually thought of reverting to spinning, but then I thought, playing on concrete is not helping me at all. The modern sport is all about oil patterns and ball reactions.

I just realised that I could have tried using my spare shooting technique on the first ball to have a straighter, more predictable line. That would have been good practise. Ironically, I was able to hit the corner pins. I just couldn't hit much else.

I totally understand your frustration, but I'm not ready to give up just yet. I want to be versatile and be able to bowl on ANY oil condition. I have been close to just switching back to the houseball for similar or even perhaps better results, but I just can't go backwards.

With a two handed approach the amount of revs you're getting on the ball must be quite intense for that condition, so I can understand why you would make the move. For some reason I think bowling on this condition could be improving my game. Even though I bowled 130s last time.

In the bag:
15# RotoGrip Rising Star
15# Columbia White Dot

#152408 - 06/14/11 02:07 PM Re: How do you bowl on "very" dry lanes? [Re: Pre-emptive Strike]
mmalsed Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 43/M/Riverside, CA
See, to me it's fun to bowl on demanding surfaces and treatments. I want to be able to bowl anywhere at any time so I want to be able to change my style to fit anything.

Dry lanes? Get into the oil and cut down on the revs and use less aggressive equipment.

Wet lanes? Get out of the oil, increase revs, use aggressive equipment.

(caveat - oversimplified. . . laugh )

16# IQ Tour Pearl/16# Crux/16# Marvel S/15#White Dot

"Gotta kick at the darkness 'till it bleeds daylight"

Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Fall/Winter Leagues 2017-18 thread
by IronMike - 04/20/18 10:56 AM
I'm pizzed at my ball driller
by Dennis Michael - 04/14/18 04:37 PM
Better Polish
by W9JAB - 04/14/18 09:03 AM
Recommendations requested
by BOSStull - 04/14/18 08:34 AM
It can't come fast enough
by BOSStull - 04/14/18 08:21 AM
Original Gamebreaker
by BOSStull - 04/14/18 07:28 AM
Some awful lane conditions
by Jason_C - 04/09/18 07:08 AM
2018 USBC Open Championships Syracuse NY
by champ - 04/07/18 08:39 PM
A question of degrees
by Fin09 - 04/06/18 01:28 PM
The final cut (Balls in the bag and their job)
by mmalsed - 04/04/18 12:09 PM
For the good of the sport?
by Dylan585 - 03/31/18 11:30 PM
12 pound ball?
by Jason_C - 03/30/18 12:02 PM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2018 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.