BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 4 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#152453 - 06/15/11 10:44 PM Re: Water Bottle Part II - Rash Screams at Belmo [Re: CoachJim]
Fpurhe Offline
Bracket Donor

A/S/L: 20/M
Originally Posted By: CoachJim
Quote:
What is the possibility that some of this might be staged to draw in an audience similar to something like wrestling....

That's an interesting thought, like the one I had about Barnes throwing the match against Richie Allen earlier this year. You will know what's up when PDW gives a chair shot to Rob Stone for yelling out "Hambone" one too many times when he's bowling.

If you "like" the PBA Facebook page there have been about 30 posts about Rash and Belmonte. I see this as no more then a sad attempt to market the tour to a larger audience. The PBA has had more then ample time to edit out what Rash said, which leads me to the only conclusion that I find possible: that the PBA indeed did this as a marketing attempt.(Not saying it was necessarily staged, either way they are using it to market the tour)

I think this was no more then a spur of the moment thing by Rash. Once he struck he probably had a lot of adrenaline going. If I was in the last shot of a 300 game(or in this case an important shot) and somebody yelled really loudly or made a loud obnoxious noise intentionally right before release, regardless of result, I would be livid.

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#152455 - 06/16/11 12:21 AM Re: Water Bottle Part II - Rash Screams at Belmo [Re: spillup24]
champ Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 32/M/AZ
Here's where I stand...

If you can't handle a bottle crackle, and then you react the way Rash did, then you AREN'T a professional; you're not much more than a child.

Personally I'm not much for fancy slacks, collared shirts, and a golf like mentality as it is, so I wouldn't mind knowing that man to man, these "professionals" kept each other in check. Belmo was in the clear to lay that guy out if you want my opinion.

USBC Open personal bests: 226/602/1690
USBC Open career average: 174.66 (45 Games)

See you in Reno 2020!

#152456 - 06/16/11 01:21 AM Re: Water Bottle Part II - Rash Screams at Belmo [Re: champ]
J_w73 Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 37/M/Northern CA
Originally Posted By: champ
Here's where I stand...

If you can't handle a bottle crackle, and then you react the way Rash did, then you AREN'T a professional; you're not much more than a child.

Personally I'm not much for fancy slacks, collared shirts, and a golf like mentality as it is, so I wouldn't mind knowing that man to man, these "professionals" kept each other in check. Belmo was in the clear to lay that guy out if you want my opinion.

Really...???

It is "understood" between the players that they are going to be quiet while someone is on the approach. If in fact Belmo is making those noises on purpose then it is no different then him yelling "Noonan!!" during Rash's shot.. or "hey batter , batter, swing batter" . I would think Rash would be the one with the right to lay Belmo out.

And if Belmo isn't making the noises on purpose then he is just really really ignorant.

If it is understood that the players are to be quiet during someone's shot then how could you defend Belmonte...??

Edited by J_w73 (06/16/11 01:25 AM)

Book Average 220

#152457 - 06/16/11 01:42 AM Re: Water Bottle Part II - Rash Screams at Belmo [Re: spillup24]
champ Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 32/M/AZ
Let me redact my statement a bit. I do realize I am painting a bit of a double standard. A man throwing his fists when he's not in danger is childish behavior too.

My response is based mainly on the fact that I'm not interested in the tenderfoot persona professional bowling has adopted to avoid the blue clollar stereotype of bowlers.

I stand by my statement that if Rash can't maintain composure under that sort of minute pressure, he's no professional athlete, regardless of what is "understood."

Edited by champ (06/16/11 02:01 AM)

USBC Open personal bests: 226/602/1690
USBC Open career average: 174.66 (45 Games)

See you in Reno 2020!

#152461 - 06/16/11 08:24 AM Re: Water Bottle Part II - Rash Screams at Belmo [Re: champ]
spillup24 Offline
High Roller

A/S/L: Philadelphia, PA
Let me redact my statement a bit. I do realize I am painting a bit of a double standard. A man throwing his fists when he's not in danger is childish behavior too.

My response is based mainly on the fact that I'm not interested in the tenderfoot persona professional bowling has adopted to avoid the blue clollar stereotype of bowlers.

I stand by my statement that if Rash can't maintain composure under that sort of minute pressure, he's no professional athlete, regardless of what is "understood."

Then I guess by your standards that there are not many professional atheletes in the world because they lose their cool and composure all the time.

#152463 - 06/16/11 08:33 AM Re: Water Bottle Part II - Rash Screams at Belmo [Re: champ]
Mkirchie Offline
Hall of Famer Contender

A/S/L: 39/M/New Jersey

It's more than a bit of a double standard that you are painting. Belmonte crinking the water bottle during the shots of other bowlers when he likely would appreciate silence during his shots shows that he is not a professional athlete either. Their actions were both unprofessional, I don't defend either of them.

Considering you don't like the fancy slacks, collared shirts, and golf mentality, I don't understand how could you not like the response that Rash gave, it was hardly any of those three things. Also, how can you talk about Rash being unprofessional by yelling and say that Belmonte should have laid out Rash, how would that be in any way shape or form professional? If you feel that way, then Rash would have had the clear to do the same to Belmonte instead of just yelling at him.

It just seems to me like you are saying that Rash was stuffy for wanting silence, then was unprofessional for yelling, Belmonte was not unprofessional in crinkling the bottle, but then it's okay for Belmonte to be completely unprofessional and physically attack Rash. Both of them acted unprofessionally and neither of them deserve to be defended for their actions.

Mark

#152505 - 06/18/11 11:14 AM Re: Water Bottle Part II - Rash Screams at Belmo [Re: spillup24]
BIGHMW Offline
Team USA Contender

A/S/L: 48/M/Port Townsend, WA
Originally Posted By: spillup24

I believe the quote is "Take that you bottle B**ch"

Maybe perhaps payback time for Belmo's little bottle "incident" against fellow Brunswick staffer (Sean Rash is also a staffer) Brad Angelo (who left a split in his match against Belmonte) earlier this past season.

Well, it's gotta be a toss-up for whom is the baddest boy on Tour, look out PDW cause you may have company sooner than you think!!! smile
Where the fans come FIRST!!!

www.BIGHMW.com

#152571 - 06/19/11 03:45 PM Re: Water Bottle Part II - Rash Screams at Belmo [Re: spillup24]
aoiten Offline
Legend

A/S/L: amerika ni sunde iru
Blog entry by Belmo:

My thoughts
June 19th, 2011

I was maybe 7 or 8 years old. The Orange Open was on and it saw many of Australiaís best bowlers come to town. For us small town locals, seeing these guys who could curve the ball and shoot well over 200 every game was a sight we all loved. I was so excited, bursting to just jump out of the car and see those I idolized.
The bowling centre was packed, finding my favourite player wasnít easy, but a few games in I had found him. I remember trying to see his every shot, peering through the legs of those in front of me. After he struck one shot, I stuck my arm through the crowd to get to him and offered him a high 5 for the shot. He looked down at me and said ďI donít give 5, thatís for girls.Ē

People laughed and I remember feeling embarrassed and ashamed that I even admired someone like that. I go back to that story every time I am in a bowl, every time someone asks me for an autograph or a photo or a high 5. No matter who they are, they deserve the same respect they give me. They deserve a small portion of my time because they have given a small portion of theirs.
That lesson has also been taught to me by my family. My family has been in the bowling industry for all my 27 years and the most important part of their success, is friendly and honest customer service. They have taught me to treat those around me exactly how I want to be treated.

Over the last few months my credibility as a bowler, as a person and as a friend has been cast over a shadow of doubt.
I have been labeled a cheat, a child, and much worse things by fans, and other pros. Even worse, pros that I considered friends.
For what? Because I drink water out of a bottle? Donít all athletes during pressure filled situations?

I said sorry to Angelo during and after our match at the [censored] Weber Playoffs last season. I felt like the timing in which the bottle popped was extremely unfortunate. It caught him and even though I didnít agree with how he reacted, I did the right thing and told him it was accidental, that I felt horrible about it and in no way did I intend to put him off. This incident was then blown out of the water by certain staff at the PBA, blasted all over Facebook and PBA.com, with poorly chosen headlines and edited YouTube clips to not only cause doubt over my intentions while bowling against Angelo but also to cause doubt over who I am as a person. To say after that incident I was upset was an understatement. I hate that it happened and I thought I made that clear by how apologetic I was on the day and in interviews there after that show.
Fast forward to June for the PBA Summer Series, one of the last matches of the summer series ended up with Sean Rash and I being the last bowlers left standing.
Like I had for every single other frame of every other match I start my pre-shot routine by taking a drink from the water bottle given to me by the TV crew on the set.
On one of the closing shots of our match, while Rash was preparing, I had searched for my bottle that had fallen under my seat. I picked my bottle up off the floor. I held it by the bottle cap waiting for him to complete the shot. It popped in my hand, well before I was ever thinking about opening it. Not in his 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th or 5th step, but before he had even taken a single step on the approach. I didnít hold the bottle on the sides, pressing it in, trying to pop it during his approach. I simply was waiting.

He pulled back, set himself again and bowled a great shot. When it struck, the verbal abuse started and his language with children present and the fact that it was on TV was appalling.
He claimed in his rant, between the cursing, that what I do with the bottle I do to everyone else on tour and that he took it upon himself to express that for everyone.
If Rash or Angelo or any other of the proís out there believe that I need Ďan ace up my sleeveí to beat them on tour, itís not only disrespecting my talents as a bowler but it disrespects me as a person. I donít care who you are, or where you are from or what you have accomplished in the sport, I fear no one. I only admire and respect them and their talents as a player and mostly as a person bowling for their living. Itís all I expect from them in return.
At this point in this competition Brunswick and Sean were no threat to Storm or myself and previous to Rashís outburst, we were still good friends. I had no motive and nothing to gain from putting Rash off.

I have spent my entire career labeled a cheat because of the technique I have developed. I have spent years proving that I only beat you on the lanes because I was better than you on the day, not because I am breaking rules or trying to put people off.
I work harder than almost anyone with the promotion of bowling and I try my absolute best to give bowling the positive image it deserves. I stand up for bowling when people of the public slam it or when news reporters try to make bowling into a joke story.

Why?
Because I respect the sport that has given me so much. I respect the sport I love. I would never do anything to put bowling and itís fragile image at any more risk than what it is at right now. Further more, Iím not one of the depressed, negative bowlers who believe bowling is ruined for all eternity, I believe in the words of Thomas Fuller, ďThe Darkest hour is just before the dawnĒ. This is bowlingís darkest hour and we as a bowling community need to do what we can to make sure we see the dawn rise. I donít believe that cursing, abusing or trying to imply that a professional bowler on the PBA tour is out there cheating his way to victories by putting people off by popping a water bottle is the best way to promote bowling. Look, if I wanted to put them off using the water bottle I would throw the bottle at their heads.

I am completely insulted and disappointed by Rash and his actions. I am embarrassed and feel so stupid that I once not only called him a friend but when Rash was away from his family and friends in foreign lands across the world it was I who was there for him.
The PBA tour is tough to be on. The money is low, the expenses are high and time away from home is horrible for each player. I understand that the pressures of succeeding on tour are high and we all need to win to support our families and ourselves. I understand that at times this pressure leads to frustration, which will then lead to outbursts either on the lanes or behind closed doors. Usually though, these outbursts are directed to ourselves because of the disappointment about our performance and the knowledge that we did something wrong for the entire event or on one special shot that caused our departure from the tournament, but never directed at another opponent.
This blatant verbal abuse and disrespect is not what the PBA deserves from one of itís current and for sure future stars, nor do I deserve it as a player or as a human being.
I will say this loud and very clear and I say it to those who have bowled against me in the past, those I will play in the future and to the fans watching. I am a respectful, honourable and honest bowler and person. If you beat me, you did it because you were better than me on the day and the same goes if I beat you. Simple as that.
Jason Belmonte

#152574 - 06/19/11 04:40 PM Re: Water Bottle Part II - Rash Screams at Belmo [Re: aoiten]
metguy Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 46/m/waverly iowa
Sorry Belmo, ain't buyin' it. You got caught and called out, simple as that.

Rash, what was you thinking? Never allow someone else to make you respond like that. Good to see you got a strike though, otherwise you would have probably got a beatdown on national TV.

This season: HG-289 HS-685
Career #'s : HG-299 HS-782

Arsonal: Heat (Pearl), 2Fast, Blue Hammer, Raptor P7, Fire Road

TRANSITIONING TO MOTIV EQUIPMENT
(CCWBRA)

#152586 - 06/20/11 05:42 AM Re: Water Bottle Part II - Rash Screams at Belmo [Re: spillup24]
Upriser Offline
2 x Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 34/male/australia/south austra...
he wouldn't have opened his big mouth if he didn't strike Metguy, that's for sure!
Storm Heat
Track Spare

Page 4 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
This is a damned shame
by djp1080 - 10/17/20 08:32 PM
Undercover Boss Bowlero
by BOSStull - 10/12/20 07:16 PM
Who is itching to get back on the lanes
by BOSStull - 09/26/20 10:12 PM
The price of new bowling balls
by BOSStull - 09/26/20 09:39 PM
Quitting my League
by BOSStull - 09/26/20 09:32 PM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2020 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.