BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 7 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#167365 - 05/30/12 05:53 AM Re: All About Rev Rate ***** [Re: KahKiat]
NaSTI Offline
Action Bowler

A/S/L: 33/M/Renton WA
Ok so Ive been trying so many different releases this past week, when I bowled league last night, it totally messed up my game. Shot my worst series yet and couldnt even go back to my "regular" release before trying all these new ones. Bowled 56 pins under my avg for a 583.

Now I feel like giving up on this "Top slap" since it totally messed up my game. Im not sure I can go back to my old release cuz it doesnt feel right anymore. Sigh...back to the drawing boards..aargh

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#167438 - 06/01/12 03:58 PM Re: All About Rev Rate [Re: NaSTI]
10PinGaloot Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 65/m/ Woodburn, OR
Originally Posted By: NaSTI
Ok so Ive been trying so many different releases this past week, when I bowled league last night, it totally messed up my game. ...aargh

I sympathize. But realize that it's not an easy release. I've been working on this shot for 2-plus years, and that's after developing about 20 other releases. So it's not one you just pick up the ball and throw without some preceding experience with movement of the hand around the 3 axes while releasing a ball.

I just this past week put the last piece on the puzzle, which for me was not accelerating the swing during the release. That's after 2 years. Maybe I'm a slow learner. It makes me appreciate the abilities of pro bowlers and all those youngsters who string strikes with ease.

Also, fit is important - thumb pitch, finger grips, span - because the fingers (for the shot I call top slap) are literally vertical, the thumb is out, the ball is falling off the fingers, while the slap is executed (this being different than the "driving through the ball" or coming up the back top quadrant of the sphere which is done by many, including for instance my idol Chris Barnes).
(and BTW - I use that shot too when applicable, because it works better for low axes of rotation..)

BTW - this is funny, although you might not find it so - I seem to have gone from sub-200 performance to about a 200 the same week that your performance went from above 200 to below 200. Let's hope my change is permanent and yours is temporary!
"I love the smell of lane conditioner in the morning!"
current avatar is Gabby Hayes. Looks a lot like me! smile

#167444 - 06/01/12 07:57 PM Re: All About Rev Rate [Re: KahKiat]
NaSTI Offline
Action Bowler

A/S/L: 33/M/Renton WA
@10pinGaloot, thanks for the kind words sir. It is an extremely difficult shot,which I agree can take years to master. I tried taking short cuts and practiced it a week, and continued to do so during league. Ahh bad judgement on my part. I am limited and might have to modify it in some way due to the wrist support that I wear. My normal "A" release is from the stance, cupped and cocked to the point of release, cupped and uncocked. This has been my release for years until I stumbled upon this thread.

On another note, went back to my regular "A" release after a failed "top slap" release and shot 883 for 4 games and 1086 in 5. I will however not give up on the Top Slap but I must find a way to tweak it to my style since I am using a Pro Release. Goodluck to you as well and hope your 200 games are indeed permanent.

Page 7 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
This is a damned shame
by djp1080 - 10/17/20 08:32 PM
Undercover Boss Bowlero
by BOSStull - 10/12/20 07:16 PM
Who is itching to get back on the lanes
by BOSStull - 09/26/20 10:12 PM
The price of new bowling balls
by BOSStull - 09/26/20 09:39 PM
Quitting my League
by BOSStull - 09/26/20 09:32 PM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2020 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.