BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#152133 - 06/05/11 10:17 PM My Video
Mike O (molankuma) Offline
League Bowler

A/S/L: 29/M/Indiana
Here's a video that I just took of me bowling today, any critiques or comments would be helpful smile

Note: I already know things:

1) I have a stutter-step approach about halfway through my approach.

2) I fall off to the left often (it wasn't as bad on this clip).

Also, I apologize about the angle on this video, was the first time taking a video clip on my phone smile

Thanks in advance smile

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#152138 - 06/06/11 07:19 AM Re: My Video [Re: Mike O (molankuma)]
sk8shorty01 Offline
Virtual League Champion x2

A/S/L: 30/M/Merritt Island, FL
Would you be able to rotate the video and then re-post?

Its just a little difficult to break down timing with the video sideways smile .
IAB Staff Member

PBA Member
USBC Level 1 Certified Coach
Head Coach - Cocoa High School

Career 300 games - 5
Career 800 series - 6
High Scratch Series - 823

#152149 - 06/06/11 08:40 AM Re: My Video [Re: Mike O (molankuma)]
League Bowler

Hmm...I'll try to, but video editing isn't my forte...may need to take another video but won't be able to until next weekend.

#152157 - 06/06/11 10:47 AM Re: My Video [Re: Mike O (molankuma)]
sk8shorty01 Offline
Virtual League Champion x2

A/S/L: 30/M/Merritt Island, FL
If you are using Microsoft you can download Windows Movie Maker for free. It is very easy in there to rotate the video so that would be your best bet.

Others might be able to chime in and give you some other good products as well.
IAB Staff Member

PBA Member
USBC Level 1 Certified Coach
Head Coach - Cocoa High School

Career 300 games - 5
Career 800 series - 6
High Scratch Series - 823

#152173 - 06/06/11 05:12 PM Re: My Video [Re: Mike O (molankuma)]
CoachJim Offline
USBC Silver Coach

A/S/L: Reston, Virginia USA
I don't see too much wrong in your approach, at least from the angle your camera is. You didn't fall off in the video I and your pacing looks fairly good, I didn't notice a severe stutter step, at least not a pause step, your steps do get progressively shorter and faster which is causing some of the problems you are having.

The main issue I see is your swing looks a little forced and cut off (symptom), work on letting the ball drop into the swing, and use the momentum of the ball dropping into the swing to propel the ball into the back swing and let the ball swing back as far as it wants, and feel the zero gravity point at the top of the back swing. Late timing is the culprit here, I can't see how you are starting the ball into the swing, but the ball should be swinging faster than it is. The slow swing is delaying your swing and forcing you to pull it back before it gets to the top, that combined with the speedy quick feet = cut off swing.

Speeding up the swing by letting the ball drop into the swing without you catching it or slowing it down in any way. If you are grabbing the ball just after the pushaway, this will kill the momentum of the swing (again I can't see if you are doing this or not). Taking longer/normal length steps on steps two and three will give you more time to let the swing get to the top of the back swing.

#152174 - 06/06/11 06:14 PM Re: My Video [Re: Mike O (molankuma)]
League Bowler

First, here's another video....same video, just rotated 90 degrees:

I'll try and get another video sometime from the other angle so you would be able to see if I'm grabbing the ball or not. I'm not sure though but I do know that I've always had a short backswing which really hasn't been a problem for me, just assumed it was due to a weaker shoulder or something.

#152312 - 06/12/11 02:45 AM Re: My Video [Re: Mike O (molankuma)]
looseleftie Offline
Hall of Famer Contender

A/S/L: 50m
I just love the wife/gf saying "Ok, wait,ok Well I didn't have it started".. I can see u are a patient man.. lol

Just a few question, is your hand right behind the ball , or is it my eyes, it appears that your hand is to the side of ball?? Also are u dropping the ball onto the lanes, or putting it out onto the lanes??

Looks good, like CoachJim mentioned...Your approach is a little rushed, but if u can repeat that shot to shot, with a bit more speed, then things should work out nicely.. Have u been bowling long using the same step cadence??

#152320 - 06/12/11 12:30 PM Re: My Video [Re: Mike O (molankuma)]
League Bowler

First off, it was my mom that said that smile haha.

I'm trying to think (as I don't have my ball with me right now, but I think my hand is halfway between the 2, halfway between behind and on the side. I typically just put the ball out on the lane...I have from time to time "dropped" the ball, but it doesn't seem to happen that often.

I have been bowling like this for a while...have tried in the past to correct it but I seem to continue having that stutter-step. I've also noticed my speed has slowly been increasing over the years, i'm now closer to 14 MPH constantly, used to be around 12.5.

Edit: I may be able to get another video today from a different angle, but I'm not sure....If I do, I'll post it.

Edited by molankuma (06/12/11 12:32 PM)

#152321 - 06/12/11 02:57 PM Re: My Video [Re: Mike O (molankuma)]
League Bowler

Sorry about the double post, but here's another video from a different angle smile You can't tell as the video was cut off early, but I did get a strike on this one (but was high in the pocket).

#152331 - 06/12/11 09:19 PM Re: My Video [Re: Mike O (molankuma)]
CoachJim Offline
USBC Silver Coach

A/S/L: Reston, Virginia USA
From this angle it looks like your arm is coming away from your body after the push away, then your hand tries to get back where it needs to be, but doesn't quite make it, at the top of the back swing it appears that your hand is on the bottom/front of the ball instead of behind/on top of the ball.

I also hear a bounce, not sure if that is you and the film and sound are out of sequence, if it is I need a closer view of the ball and your hand in the swing, and at the release. I still need a shot from the side to see your timing and cadence.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
This is a damned shame
by Mkirchie - 08/06/20 06:48 AM
Who is itching to get back on the lanes
by Mkirchie - 07/18/20 08:37 AM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2020 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.