BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#152014 - 06/02/11 01:08 AM Is there any hope for my game?
JW123 Offline
Team USA Contender

A/S/L: 45/M/NJ
I just finished my first full season league with a 160 average on the button. I know, basically that makes me one of the worst bowlers who ever picked up a ball. I'm thinking that if I practice a lot this summer, by next season I can improve my average to 161 or if I work real hard, perhaps 162. In any event, I don't want to drop any further.

I've checked a lot of the high average guys in my league on bowl.com, and virtually all of them have been averaging 190+ since the first league they ever bowled in. One of them has never had an average less than 210 in his entire life except in one PBA experience league he did once where he averaged 192.

Is there anybody who ever had a first year adult league average as bad as 160 and went on to become a 190-plus later on?

HG: 279 santioned/300 unsanctioned
HS3: 671
HS4: 847

12-13 Averages:
177 full season league
171/175 (both halves short-season)

First "Triple Deucey" 3/28/2012: 226-212-202 for 640.

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#152015 - 06/02/11 01:27 AM Re: Is there any hope for my game? [Re: JW123]
Upriser Offline
2 x Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 34/male/australia/south austra...
there is plenty of hope for you JW, i started approx 3 years ago and had about a 170 avg, its steadily gone up in those 3 years and i now carry a 201 avg after 23 weeks of our 26 week leauge. think the main reason is my spare game is a heap better now, i used to miss the 7 pin spare 9 out of 10 times and now get it 9 out of ten:) has always been my goal to get to a 200 avg and i've finally got there, just gotta keep it now lol!!
Storm Heat
Track Spare

#152017 - 06/02/11 02:02 AM Re: Is there any hope for my game? [Re: JW123]
champ Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 32/M/AZ
Keep in mind, those records only go back to 1998. There are some people who do pick up the game right away, and others (most) who don't. Keep practicing, get a coach, have the mindset that you will improve. You'll get there.

USBC Open personal bests: 226/602/1690
USBC Open career average: 174.66 (45 Games)

See you in Reno 2020!

#152022 - 06/02/11 08:00 AM Re: Is there any hope for my game? [Re: JW123]
sk8shorty01 Offline
Virtual League Champion x2

A/S/L: 30/M/Merritt Island, FL
Originally Posted By: JW123

Is there anybody who ever had a first year adult league average as bad as 160 and went on to become a 190-plus later on?

Just a reminder, bowl.com only shows information from about 2000 and forward so they could have bowled 20 seasons before that and you would never know because it doesn't show up.

Just to make you feel better go look my stats up, Michael J Bauer, I am the one sanctioned under "Florida Space Coast" and I Have the PBA emblem next to my name. Notice my first season (5 years ago) my average was not of PBA quality either haha.
IAB Staff Member

PBA Member
USBC Level 1 Certified Coach
Head Coach - Cocoa High School

Career 300 games - 5
Career 800 series - 6
High Scratch Series - 823

#152023 - 06/02/11 08:02 AM Re: Is there any hope for my game? [Re: JW123]
sk8shorty01 Offline
Virtual League Champion x2

A/S/L: 30/M/Merritt Island, FL
Oh, and side note, my first season leagues are the "NASCAR League" and "Kings and Queens", the other two were summer leagues so they came after those two leagues.
IAB Staff Member

PBA Member
USBC Level 1 Certified Coach
Head Coach - Cocoa High School

Career 300 games - 5
Career 800 series - 6
High Scratch Series - 823

#152024 - 06/02/11 08:10 AM Re: Is there any hope for my game? [Re: JW123]
Calvin Pistorio Offline
State Champion Contender

A/S/L: 32/m/maryland
My first 2 or 3 years in league I only averaged around 140, usually a couple pins shy of it. I finished this year with a 189, but that's only 48 games, not even half the season. I started the season off averaging in the low 200s for the first couple months of the season before I started to get down into the 190s before I found out I had something wrong with one of my at the end of October and had to have surgery. I didn't bowl for two months after that, gave up my spot when the second half of league came around and just filled in a couple times and never practiced. My game suffered some and I dropped down into the high 180s.

Back in the 2006-2007 winter season I held a 190+ average in two leagues after just ending the previous season at a 171. At the end of that season I started working on my game and my average took a hit again where my composite average between multiple leagues dropped to the low 180s again and it just finally started to feel like I got it back together at the end of last season, and that's without much practice.

So there is hope for your game. Just filling frames with marks and throwing a few strikes in there will boost your average. Being a 190+ bowler doesn't just happen overnight. I'm sure most of those guys you looked up have league history that goes back further than what bowl.com shows. Many probably came up through the youth programs as I know several in my area that are like that and put up big numbers on a regular basis.
HS:763

#152028 - 06/02/11 09:15 AM Re: Is there any hope for my game? [Re: JW123]
Pre-emptive Strike Offline
Bracket Donor

A/S/L: 27/M/NY
Hey, I can shed some light. I literally just got into the sport about 2-3 months ago, although I have been bowling casually my whole life. I'm averaging a 170 at my house after a ton of games, this is just practice, not in a league yet (starts next week).

Honestly my goal is to reach avg 200 by 1 year. Not that I'm good or anything, but I feel like this could be my sport. I'll say that key to my early success has been to just have a consistent approach with "decent" mechanics (you don't need a Chris Barnes-like physical game)

And even more important I feel is paying attention to ball reaction is big even for a beginner. Getting you to move around early and often.

Most important of all is spares as I'm sure everyone will say, it's hands down the quickest way to increase avg, if you feel like you're missing the 10, take 20+ shots at it in practice, until you are no longer afraid of it when it's left standing.

Summer League Average (first league): 193

High Game: 247
High Series: 645

In the bag:
15# RotoGrip Rising Star
15# Storm Tropical Breeze
15# Columbia White Dot
14# Columbia Scout Reactive

#152029 - 06/02/11 09:24 AM Re: Is there any hope for my game? [Re: Pre-emptive Strike]
Pre-emptive Strike Offline
Bracket Donor

A/S/L: 27/M/NY
Originally Posted By: Pre-emptive Strike
I'll say that key to my early success has been to just have a consistent approach with "decent" mechanics (you don't need a Chris Barnes-like physical game)

Don't get me wrong though, I am striving for a physical game that's on par with Chris Barnes...hahaha

Summer League Average (first league): 193

High Game: 247
High Series: 645

In the bag:
15# RotoGrip Rising Star
15# Storm Tropical Breeze
15# Columbia White Dot
14# Columbia Scout Reactive

#152034 - 06/02/11 11:29 AM Re: Is there any hope for my game? [Re: JW123]
mmalsed Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 43/M/Riverside, CA
Originally Posted By: JW123
I just finished my first full season league with a 160 average on the button. I know, basically that makes me one of the worst bowlers who ever picked up a ball. I'm thinking that if I practice a lot this summer, by next season I can improve my average to 161 or if I work real hard, perhaps 162. In any event, I don't want to drop any further.

I've checked a lot of the high average guys in my league on bowl.com, and virtually all of them have been averaging 190+ since the first league they ever bowled in. One of them has never had an average less than 210 in his entire life except in one PBA experience league he did once where he averaged 192.

First, JW, don't feel bad. You're nowhere near the worst! In my Friday night league, you'd be in the upper third!!!!

But how to improve?

1. Is your ball drilled for your hand or are you using a house ball? If you're using a house ball, don't expect to get much higher - they're crap (and do you really want to stick your fingers where thousands of others have stuck their grimy fingers???? I think NOT). . . Get a ball that is drilled for YOUR hand. If it's your first, ask your pro-shop for a moderately hooking ball. I got my first ball used. . . was inexpensive and was a great entry.

2. Are you throwing the ball or rolling it? By this I mean are you just throwing it straight down the lane or are you aiming at a target and letting the ball hook and do the work? I see a lot of new people who think that speed = score but remember, your ball weighs 14-16 pounds and the pins weigh 3. . . which is going to win? Let the ball do the work. . .

3. Are you picking up your spares? At 160, I will bet that you're missing a lot of spares. If you can start picking up spares - even one or two more per game - your score will jump. Remember that a spare not only gives you more pins in THIS frame, it gives you bonus pins from NEXT frame. . . and if you can get the "easy" spares, that will help. There are various systems for getting spares - I use the 3-6-9 system (well, a variation) and it helped a TON (here's one link: http://bowlersworld.com.au/tips/How_To_Make_Spares.pdf - you can find others)

4. Get a coach. You will make progress by leaps and bounds with someone who knows how to coach watching you (notice I did not say "knows how to bowl" but rather "how to coach"). . .

5. Lastly, bowl within yourself. My knees are going so I have to change my style to be less power and more grace (LOL . . . me, grace! ROFLMAOPMP nut ) Most of us have some physical limitation somewhere. . . learn what yours is/are and find a way to bowl within those and then be happy with it. my future M-in-law (77) averages 150ish, has a ball speed of about 7-8, and has a very nice but very slight hook. I help with minor adjustments as she's always in and around the pocket, but has little to no carry - she just picks up a TON of spares. She's content with it (still strives to be her best) and enjoys it. Look for that spot!

Hope this helps!

16# IQ Tour Pearl/16# Crux/16# Marvel S/15#White Dot

"Gotta kick at the darkness 'till it bleeds daylight"

#152054 - 06/02/11 09:45 PM Re: Is there any hope for my game? [Re: JW123]
looseleftie Offline
Hall of Famer Contender

A/S/L: 50m
Hey JW, I bowled for 5-6 yrs before ave got to 160, then took another 3 yrs floating up to 170. Now 2 yrs later over 200..

There is no hurry in this sport.. There are always going to be guys who ave 200 after their first season or two, then theres the other 99% who may take many,many years to get even close to it...

Mmalsed raised a great point, pick up all your spares, really focus on them..

You are kicking by butt JW in comparison with my own first year or two of bowling, 160 by end of year, thats great mate. You should feel proud of that, and use that very respectable average to build upon...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Ultimate Adjustable Thumb
by EdW - Today at 05:53 AM
This is a damned shame
by 82Boat69 - Yesterday at 10:05 PM
Plugging balance holes
by BOSStull - Yesterday at 04:35 PM
COVID-10 and center closings
by BOSStull - 06/27/20 09:00 PM
Who is itching to get back on the lanes
by Mkirchie - 06/24/20 02:10 PM
Quitting my League
by mmalsed - 06/22/20 12:42 PM
The price of new bowling balls
by BOSStull - 06/20/20 05:06 PM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2020 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.