BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#152055 - 06/02/11 10:46 PM Re: Is there any hope for my game? [Re: JW123]
JW123 Offline
Team USA Contender

A/S/L: 45/M/NJ
I know I need to work on my spare game, especially those corner pins. But I also have to come up with a way to make, or not leave, some of the freaky ones that I've been told good bowlers never leave more than once a year; I leave these things multiple times a night sometimes (and these don't even give me count on a spare or a double like a single-pin does):

4-6-10
4-6-7
3-9-10
4-7-9-10
4-6-7-9-10
1-2-8-10
8-10

I'm also bummed about going the entire season without a single 225 game or 600 series; not a single breakout game or series which qualifies for USBC awards. The other guys who are in the 160-165 range had big nights, one even had a 158 average until he shot a 278 game and 658 series. I think I had 5 deuces in 108 games and they were low deuces, the best was a 221.

My league options are kind of limited by my game. I'm too young to be in a senior league, too old to be in a youth league (lol), don't have kids so I can't do adult/child, and am not good enough for a men's league or a 2x2 mix league where taking me would clinch last place before the season even starts, so I can only do the four person any mix league with the 90% handicap. And even there, I'm costing us points with series like 170-140-170 or 150-165-165, not helping us win. Our team ended up 119-133 and between 70-80 of those lost points were directly attributable to me, well more than the difference between second place and ending up in the bottom third of the standings.

HG: 279 santioned/300 unsanctioned
HS3: 671
HS4: 847

12-13 Averages:
177 full season league
171/175 (both halves short-season)

First "Triple Deucey" 3/28/2012: 226-212-202 for 640.

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#152057 - 06/02/11 11:09 PM Re: Is there any hope for my game? [Re: JW123]
10PinGaloot Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 65/m/ Woodburn, OR
Originally Posted By: JW123

4-6-10
4-6-7
4-7-9-10
4-6-7-9-10

Looks like you go through the nose a lot. I would say that when you do that, you should change any one thing - speed, ball, revs, or axis rotation - and you'll get something more manageable. Oh yeah, I forgot the most obvious - move right 2 boards.

Leaving 4-7 or 6-10 makes it so much easier to mark.

I only get big-four etc when I try to adjust after a brooklyn and don't adjust enough. Funny thing about oiled lanes. You don't know where the oil is and sometimes adjust right into a puddle or a dry spot. When that happens, you just have to try various spots, not stay in the same place.

I see you have two very strong balls and a spare ball. It might help to get a weaker ball. I love the Jigsaw Trap, but it's got a mean hook. A weak ball - just something a little less hooky - will get you a different look on those difficult nights. Maybe a Tropical Heat or Nomad Pearl. I prefer more pearl than less, but a lot of folks here like the hybrids. I don't like solids except on wet lanes, where they really shine.

8-10 (which I call a Stoner in honor of Rob Stone) is just plain bad luck.

"I love the smell of lane conditioner in the morning!"
current avatar is Gabby Hayes. Looks a lot like me! smile

#152058 - 06/02/11 11:42 PM Re: Is there any hope for my game? [Re: JW123]
looseleftie Offline
Hall of Famer Contender

A/S/L: 50m
Wow, it sounds like you are really down JW about this..

Mate, realise that everyone was once in your bowling shoes as they begun bowling in their respective leagues.. I'm sure your team mates don't care too much whether u bowl great or not, if they do care about the winning of the league and money/trophies, then find another relaxed league.. Or practise in phantoms leagues or just open bowl until you feel u are ready to rejoin a league..Do u think that perhaps u are more worried about your scores than what your team mates are?

Social leagues are about having fun and enjoying your bowling..They generally aren't too full on...Unless it's a money league (man, people get real upset over the old dollar)

Re your splits, I'm currently getting quite a few splits at the moment.. My game is getting back to where it was, so I accept that this is normal, work out why u are getting these splits.. First thing I do is look at what is happening as the ball enters
the pocket... Is it too heavy, too light, how are the pins hitting??

Envy, one of the 7 dadly sins isn't it!! Forget about it JW.. You will get those rewards, so it didn't happen to u your "first" ever year of bowling.. Guess what, I got nothing for about my first three years, and I also use to think why can't I get some kind of award/badge/trophy, other newish bowlers seemed to get things..I admit I suffered from a bit of envy myself... Now after I have worked at my game, more than them working at their game, my ave,high game,high sereies have moved far beyong theirs.. Things work out for the better. Your'e a keen and improving bowler JW, don't sweat it, it will come, probably much sooner than myself..

Take care, keep your head up mate.

#152065 - 06/03/11 04:58 AM Re: Is there any hope for my game? [Re: JW123]
Atochabsh Offline
USBC Bronze Coach

A/S/L: 50/F/California
Well you nailed part of the problem. You said you need to work on your spares. So do it. 10 pin is right, either your splits are due to you not moving fast enough during the night, thus adjusting to the lane or you are making too many very poor shots. Again...practice. Take this summer and work on your spares. Don't be so concerned about good nights bad nights. Everyone has them, even the other people on your team.

Which brings me to another point. When a teammate is down, not doing very well, the rest of the team carries him until he can get back going again. That's the way it is. Everyone on a team knows how it is to be the one not doing so well and the one doing well. That's why its a team.

I didn't have a good year either. But I also know that I didn't practice like I have in the past. I know that's why my spare game and game in general is weak right now. It'll get better, but I have to recognize that I, me, yep myself was the one that did not practice like I know I needed to.

So stop beating yourself up and just get out there and work on it.

Erin

#152070 - 06/03/11 07:46 AM Re: Is there any hope for my game? [Re: JW123]
sk8shorty01 Offline
Virtual League Champion x2

A/S/L: 30/M/Merritt Island, FL
JW123, let me ask you a quick question, did you feel your teammates were to blame for losses during the season at any point? Did you ever say to yourself, "They just lost us the game"?

If not then why do you feel that your teammates are looking at you any differently than you are looking at them? If you take any one game and look at each persons score 99% of the time it is an equal blame all the way across the team when a team loses. That 1% is when someone shoots 300, otherwise each bowler left something on the table.

I can be quoted on here repeating the same two quotes quite often, so I will do it again for you since you might have missed them:

"Treat yourself like you are your doubles partner"

What that means is that after your partner throws a bad shot do you jump all over their case, do you criticize or yell? Do you act like they are terrible? If not then why are you doing it to yourself?

"Some times we have to be smart enough to get out of our own way"

This one means that your brain knows how to bowl, it sends signals to your body on the movements that you have engrained. Those signals are always the same as long as your brain runs on instincts and past experience. When you start to think and you try to do something, your brain is no longer sending the same signals, it is sending mixed signals and it causes havoc to your muscles. They get out of whack and you end up with a shot that is not the same. Just go up there and flow through the motions, you don't have to tell yourself to take a step with each foot to walk right, why is bowling any different?
IAB Staff Member

PBA Member
USBC Level 1 Certified Coach
Head Coach - Cocoa High School

Career 300 games - 5
Career 800 series - 6
High Scratch Series - 823

#152111 - 06/04/11 02:21 PM Re: Is there any hope for my game? [Re: 10PinGaloot]
MikeHL Offline
Pro of the Year Contender

A/S/L: 34/M/da U.P. of Michigan, eh
Originally Posted By: 10PinGaloot
8-10 (which I call a Stoner in honor of Rob Stone) is just plain bad luck.

No, it's not. It's a shot that enters the 1-3 a hair too light to kick out the 10 and doesn't have enough energy to drive through 5-pin enough to touch the 8. It's an accurate but very weak ball...and I would know, as I have certainly left the blower 8-10 enough to tell the difference. lmao.

Right on about everything else, though. JW, listen to sk8 as well. I am one of the many people he's offered that advice to, and it helped a great deal. I beat myself up bc of mental conditioning left over from my dad (who I have now neither laid eyes on or spoken to in 11 years). Pondering sk8's advice made me realize that I don't have to cuss myself out after a bad shot. I don't do it nearly as often now and when I do, I can grab hold of myself and stop much earlier than I always had.

JW, I have also had the same issues with wide-open splits and washouts that you have. In my own case, though, it's the opposite end of the spectrum from yourself -- shots rolled much too hard for my rev rate which never grab the lane surface, and which often pull me inside of target bc of very early timing. These are proving VERY difficult to fix (crazy), but I'm working very hard on them.

I first picked up a ball a year and a half ago and finished the season @ 161 and 162 in my two leagues. That was using a plastic ball most of the time, one that was too light and was also poorly fit besides. Sorting out ball fit issues (fortunately) brought me to 180 and I'm trying to get past the low 180s now. You will probably have to look very, very hard to find someone who averages in the 180s on a THS who rolls as few strikes as I do. (2-3 per game.) Please hang in there! We don't all start out from the same place. It's about making the most of what we have. smile
-- Mika Koivuniemi

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
This is a damned shame
by Mkirchie - Yesterday at 06:48 AM
Who is itching to get back on the lanes
by Mkirchie - 07/18/20 08:37 AM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2020 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.