BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#151751 - 05/22/11 03:21 PM my 1st video
Pre-emptive Strike Offline
Bracket Donor

A/S/L: 27/M/NY
Please feel free to give me any helpful tips on my video. I'm about 2 months into the sport and have worked with a coach once to develop this approach. I'm sure I have alot of work to do on my physical game, but my average is rising quickly!!

Btw I know that my backswing is very low, even after reading Ron Clifton's article it doesn't seem to click...anyway tips needed! Thanks guys.

Summer League Average (first league): 193

High Game: 247
High Series: 645

In the bag:
15# RotoGrip Rising Star
15# Storm Tropical Breeze
15# Columbia White Dot
14# Columbia Scout Reactive

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#151754 - 05/22/11 10:14 PM Re: my 1st video [Re: Pre-emptive Strike]
CoachJim Offline
USBC Silver Coach

A/S/L: Reston, Virginia USA
Are you putting your thumb in the hole all the way? The reason I ask is it looks like your thumb is half out of the hole during the swing. I need a side angle shot to see for sure, also for checking your timing.

It looks like your timing might be a half a step late, this is causing you to cut your swing short, again need a side shot to say for sure.

I like your finish position, you can build a great game just from that alone, all you need is to develop your arm swing.

#151760 - 05/23/11 07:29 AM Re: my 1st video [Re: Pre-emptive Strike]
sk8shorty01 Offline
Virtual League Champion x2

A/S/L: 30/M/Merritt Island, FL
I agree with CoachJim, but I will also add that I think part of the low backswing is created from the lack of open shoulders (as well as the late timing). Your shoulders are opened by the balance arm pointing forward, towards the target. Right now your balance arm goes directly from touching the ball to the left wall. The left wall is a great finish for it but it closes off the body and restricts some movement.

Try this without the ball to get what I mean. Take your left arm and point it left, now bring your right arm back in a swinging motion and notice where it stops. Now take your left arm and point it forward and swing your right arm back, notice how high you can get it now.
IAB Staff Member

PBA Member
USBC Level 1 Certified Coach
Head Coach - Cocoa High School

Career 300 games - 5
Career 800 series - 6
High Scratch Series - 823

#151770 - 05/23/11 11:33 AM Re: my 1st video [Re: sk8shorty01]
Bracket Donor

My thumb is all the way in the ball, I put my thumb in first on each shot. Thanks for the encouraging words on the finish position, at least I'm doing something right to start.

I'll try hard to work on getting my timing right. Any quick tips on fixing late timing? A half a step late means that the ball is getting there too long after my slide foot is down right?

I'll also try keeping my arm forward to see how much higher my back-swing is.

I'll post more videos from each angle after I've practiced more. Usually I practice alone so it's tough to get videos of myself.

In the bag:
15# RotoGrip Rising Star
15# Columbia White Dot

#151894 - 05/28/11 05:03 AM Re: my 1st video [Re: Pre-emptive Strike]
DocLogic77 Offline
Action Bowler

A/S/L: m/37/ky
Your swing does look to be about a half a step late. I bowl with a 4 step approach like yourself. If I'm late, my game is toast. Just start the ball with the right foot. Video yourself because it's easy to think you are starting the ball with the foot when you are not.
Storm Virtual Gravity #15
Columbia Bedlam #15
Storm Natural Pearl #15
--------------------------
Current Average-185
High Game-259 (5/4/11)
High Series-690 (5/4/11)
First Clean Game-1/13/11-204, second 234 (1/17/11)

#151906 - 05/28/11 11:28 PM Re: my 1st video [Re: DocLogic77]
Bracket Donor

Originally Posted By: DocLogic77
Your swing does look to be about a half a step late. I bowl with a 4 step approach like yourself. If I'm late, my game is toast. Just start the ball with the right foot. Video yourself because it's easy to think you are starting the ball with the foot when you are not.

So basically what you're saying is just drop the ball immediately out of the approach? I was thinking about changing to a 5-step approach at some point, but I just want to get my fundamentals down...I've been doing a 4-step ever since I started bowling casually.

In the bag:
15# RotoGrip Rising Star
15# Columbia White Dot

#151907 - 05/29/11 01:44 AM Re: my 1st video [Re: Pre-emptive Strike]
looseleftie Offline
Hall of Famer Contender

A/S/L: 45 m
Hey Pre,
2 months into the sport, and you are already ave 172, man, that is very,very impressive...

Re tech, like what others have mentioned, also noticed u have a little skip in the delivery, I wonder if this is due to your small backswing, basicaly trying to rush your feet to catch up to your swing???

Either way, try a 5 step delivery, I like the additional step, just keeps me relaxed at beginning of delivery, as well as giving you a little bit more momentum.. Up to mate, but you are doing so well...

#151912 - 05/29/11 03:16 AM Re: my 1st video [Re: Pre-emptive Strike]
Handful Offline
High Roller

A/S/L: 32/male/St Pete, FL/ usa
how is your grip? Do you need to squeeze the ball during your swing to keep it from falling off. A poor grip or loose thumbhole will require you to squeeze the ball which will cause a low backswing.
Slingshot

#151924 - 05/29/11 05:51 PM Re: my 1st video [Re: looseleftie]
Bracket Donor

Originally Posted By: looseleftie
Hey Pre,
2 months into the sport, and you are already ave 172, man, that is very,very impressive...

Re tech, like what others have mentioned, also noticed u have a little skip in the delivery, I wonder if this is due to your small backswing, basicaly trying to rush your feet to catch up to your swing???

Either way, try a 5 step delivery, I like the additional step, just keeps me relaxed at beginning of delivery, as well as giving you a little bit more momentum.. Up to mate, but you are doing so well...

Thanks you so much for the encouraging words! I had a feeling I was above the curve for how long I've been bowling. I bowled against my uncle who has been bowling for 20+ years, and I bowled better than his entire team. Last time I went to practice I averaged a 192 after 10 games!!! Something def clicked recently.

Bottom line...I think I'm on the right track, but I will try to slow things down a bit the next time I practice. Also my grip feels good at the moment, but I'm going to put some extra tape in there to see what happens, I could be gripping slightly without even knowing it...due to the fact that my previous ball had a span that was too long.

After I do some extensive work I'll post another video...I'm joining my first summer league which starts in a week, should I work on new things in between each game? I'm not sure how to balance improving my physical game with bowling for score.

In the bag:
15# RotoGrip Rising Star
15# Columbia White Dot

#151928 - 05/29/11 08:29 PM Re: my 1st video [Re: Pre-emptive Strike]
looseleftie Offline
Hall of Famer Contender

A/S/L: 45 m
Thats incredible, I do not know of a single bowler, who ever started out that strongly.. Imagine when u really learn how to throw the ball well.. haha!!

Do u practise on your own ? Or with one other person usually?? Reason I ask this is because I bowl better when bowling quickly, rather than sitting around waiting for your turn in league..

Practise last night, think I am getting back my mojo, I forgot how nice it feels to feel like I am improving again.. Had a bad 6 months through lots of change to my game...Scored great last night..

Whatever u are doing mate, keep it up, don't try and learn every new trick under the sun just yet, as u are building up your muscle memory..If it aint broke..... U know what I mean... You must be already extremely consistant...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
What to do?
by Mkirchie - 02/01/20 07:45 AM
Plugging balance holes
by Dennis Michael - 01/29/20 01:20 AM
The price of new bowling balls
by Dennis Michael - 01/28/20 06:14 PM
This is a damned shame
by Mkirchie - 01/26/20 05:10 PM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2020 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.