BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#151553 - 05/16/11 10:46 PM Re: My newest Videos [Re: Time-To-Roll]
Steven Stroud Offline
Junior Master

A/S/L: 33yo/Male/Austin TX
here's that article you mentioned. Its good material.
The swing slot revisited

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#151554 - 05/16/11 11:02 PM Re: My newest Videos [Re: ijohn83]
Steven Stroud Offline
Junior Master

A/S/L: 33yo/Male/Austin TX
I used to do the whole push away to my target thing. This is good but I find personally that I end up too square at the line and I end up having to muscle the ball out to my target at release (because my armswing went too far behind my back) which needless to say brought on inconsistencies.

So what I did and this wont work for everyone because everyone has different "issues" in there game. Mine was I noticed my balance arm was always tucked up next to my body and I ended up really square to the line (instead of perpendicular to my target)... and I walked like a duck push away to finish lol. I fixed those two things and BAM I felt like I used to a decade ago. My balance is far better and I am far more consistent now. All I did was post a vid here for a few more eyes and input. I went out the next day and implemented the advice from the good people here at bowlingfans.com. thanks again all for the words of advice. I really needed those extra eyes.

#151557 - 05/17/11 07:43 AM Re: My newest Videos [Re: ijohn83]
sk8shorty01 Offline
Virtual League Champion x2

A/S/L: 30/M/Merritt Island, FL
Originally Posted By: ijohn83
Do you push the ball out right of your target in your initial push-away causing a slight wrapping of the ball behind your back?

~ John

Yes I do, slightly. I am still working on slowly building that part of my game because if I push the ball directly at my target for some reason it causes me to figure eight my swing a little bit and I tend to give the ball to much head-belly. I end up swinging the ball out about 3 boards wide of my intended breakpoint for some odd reason.

Here is an older video to compare against, as you can see my push is a little more outside the target and the swing is a little more wrapped behind my body in the older video.

Thanks for the input John, I appreciate it. Your "coaching" eye is definitely getting stronger as I have noticed you have found things that could be altered in quite a few videos. Some times seeing things from the setee area while someone else is bowling teaches you as much about your own game as physically bowling does. Keep it up!
IAB Staff Member

PBA Member
USBC Level 1 Certified Coach
Head Coach - Cocoa High School

Career 300 games - 5
Career 800 series - 6
High Scratch Series - 823

#151558 - 05/17/11 09:00 AM Re: My newest Videos [Re: sk8shorty01]
D-Money Offline
Bantam

A/S/L: 29/m/Baltimore,MD
WOW, that is pretty interesting. Your approach looks very similar to mine except I have a 4-step approach. Plus you make it look a lot better.

Edited by D-Money (05/17/11 09:01 AM)

#151560 - 05/17/11 10:09 AM Re: My newest Videos [Re: D-Money]
sk8shorty01 Offline

Originally Posted By: D-Money
WOW, that is pretty interesting. Your approach looks very similar to mine except I have a 4-step approach. Plus you make it look a lot better.

Thank you very much D-Money, this has been a project for the last five years so its definitely nice to see some improvement. That is my favorite part of video work is I can compare my game over the time and as I make changes. My overall style still looks similar but the suttle differences are what has pushed me from a 180 average to the 230 I am at now.
IAB Staff Member

PBA Member

Career 300 games - 5
Career 800 series - 6

#151570 - 05/17/11 12:28 PM Re: My newest Videos [Re: sk8shorty01]
Rocket Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 45/male/Ohio
Looks pretty good SK, and I am glad I gave this a view I noticed in my own video I had almost zero spine tilt in my approach and added some in my last practice not knowing if that was a good thing or not but the feel and results were pretty good now I see it is a good thing. Thanks coach Jim for the article
Mutant Cell

#151574 - 05/17/11 03:08 PM Re: My newest Videos [Re: Rocket]
CoachJim Offline
USBC Silver Coach

A/S/L: Reston, Virginia USA
If anyone wants a copy, just pm me your email address and I will forward it to you.

#151577 - 05/17/11 04:13 PM Re: My newest Videos [Re: sk8shorty01]
ijohn83 Offline
4x Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 54/male/Palmdale, California U...
[quote=sk8shorty01
Thanks for the input John, I appreciate it. Your "coaching" eye is definitely getting stronger as I have noticed you have found things that could be altered in quite a few videos. Sometimes seeing things from the settee area while someone else is bowling teaches you as much about your own game as physically bowling does. Keep it up! [/quote]

Thanks!

The thing that stood out the most for me in your Video is your step before your slide. It is dead in front of your left foot like it should be. Mine is 2.5 boards right of my left foot & I finish 2.5 boards into my swing. I have wanted to fix that in me for a long time. I think I am too high or something for the right balance to do that correctly - working on it.

Also, I have been practicing pushing out 5 boards inside my target to get use to letting the ball swing back straight instead of wrap behind my back. It felt so bad at first doing this that I almost quit it, but it is now feeling much more natural.

~ John

#151593 - 05/18/11 10:23 AM Re: My newest Videos [Re: Steven Stroud]
sk8shorty01 Offline

Originally Posted By: Steven Stroud
here's that article you mentioned. Its good material.
The swing slot revisited

Has anyone else opened up the article? Is it just me or does it seem that the columns don't mesh up? I cannot seem to figure out how to read this thing. Everything seems like it didn't upload correctly or something because I cannot make complete sentences at the bottom of any page or the end of any column no matter what I try to match it up to.

Anyone notice this?
IAB Staff Member

PBA Member

Career 300 games - 5
Career 800 series - 6

#151629 - 05/19/11 12:47 AM Re: My newest Videos [Re: sk8shorty01]
General Pounder Offline
3x Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 40/M/Midlothian, IL
Opens up just fine for me. Which browser?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Resurface is always a thrilling topic
by BOSStull - 10/04/19 06:17 PM
USBC General Playing Rule 18 Change
by BOSStull - 09/22/19 11:01 AM
USBC Rule 12
by BOSStull - 09/22/19 10:44 AM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2019 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.