BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#151252 - 05/08/11 09:58 PM Frustrated at practice thursday took video today .
Rocket Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 45/male/Ohio
Like topic says Thursday I felt like I went backwards a year nothing worked. So today Jordan was at another house with his coach getting ready for a tournament I decided to get some video and see whats going on boy was I disappointed when I watched them.

I thought my arm was bending on my back swing but its just never getting straight so much for free swing. My timing looks like a Clydesdale on ice, my swing doesnt stay on plane I see me looping it out and turning my hand way early coming off the top. Do I need to lean more forward would that help with the bent arm? Oh yeah the side video doesnt show my finish which was bad as well but I left shortly after those shots I was so frustrated with myself.
Mutant Cell

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#151256 - 05/09/11 12:00 AM Re: Frustrated at practice thursday took video today . [Re: Rocket]
DocLogic77 Offline
Action Bowler

A/S/L: m/37/ky
It's odd, I seen this same hitch in my swing the last time I went. I have no idea where it came from. I can never remember bending my elbow before last session.

I would love to know what causes that to crop up in a swing.
Storm Virtual Gravity #15
Columbia Bedlam #15
Storm Natural Pearl #15
--------------------------
Current Average-185
High Game-259 (5/4/11)
High Series-690 (5/4/11)
First Clean Game-1/13/11-204, second 234 (1/17/11)

#151258 - 05/09/11 12:35 AM Re: Frustrated at practice thursday took video today . [Re: Rocket]
Atochabsh Offline
USBC Bronze Coach

A/S/L: 50/F/California
You carry the ball back, in a controlled manner. Your arm never fully extends,thus using the full "wing span" available to you. Once you fully extend your arm, you can start to engage gravity on your side. Until then you are controlling the ball aka muscling the ball. When you muscle the ball you get inconsistencies and its hard to repeat movement. Which is why you probably seem to feel like you go from doing well to ground zero. I would suggest that you learn to free your arm up and extend fully. You need to lock that elbow and let it fall back.

Erin

#151259 - 05/09/11 12:39 AM Re: Frustrated at practice thursday took video today . [Re: Rocket]
Atochabsh Offline
USBC Bronze Coach

A/S/L: 50/F/California
In addition I think a lot of this bent elbow comes from trying to cup the ball. And you can cup the ball, but you need to use a different set of muscles to do it. Not the arm muscles.

Erin

#151263 - 05/09/11 06:28 AM Re: Frustrated at practice thursday took video today . [Re: Atochabsh]
Rocket Offline
Virtual League Champion

Thanks Erin, So I guess a good way to practice at home would be to just drop the ball into my swing and get used to that feeling I guess I was squeezing the snot out of the ball as well if I am controlling my swing that much.

Looks like some appointments with a coach is in my future.
Mutant Cell

#151264 - 05/09/11 07:15 AM Re: Frustrated at practice thursday took video today . [Re: Rocket]
OhioBowler Offline
Bantam

A/S/L: 37/male/Columbbus, Ohio
Yeah rocket it looks like 90% from the free arm swing, which is probably causing the balance issue at the end also, and the chicken winging. You may also want to try and get more knee bend,

From the drop away your never reaching full extension.

#151266 - 05/09/11 09:08 AM Re: Frustrated at practice thursday took video today . [Re: Rocket]
Dennis Michael Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: M/Barrington, Ill
From your side view, you can see that your ball hand is not under the ball. It is primed to grab it as soon as it falls. Get the ball in the palm of your hand, equally supported by both hands.

Then as the ball falls, your hand is behind, but not under it. Further gripping is required to hold the ball. Keep your back of hand and forearm straight. This will give you a natural cup.
Legends - L/M Xtreme Damage 15# Strong pearl

#151267 - 05/09/11 09:33 AM Re: Frustrated at practice thursday took video today . [Re: Rocket]
CoachJim Offline
USBC Silver Coach

A/S/L: Reston, Virginia USA
The predominant issue is the bent arm. There is something in the back of your brain saying "You had better hang on tight to this ball, or it will fall off and kill a bus load of nuns". Watch your right hand when the ball leaves your left hand, you will see your hand tense right up as soon as the ball's weight transfers to your right hand. This tension travels all the way up to your shoulder and your arm locks in that position. You need to look into what is making you "catch" the ball.

1. Check your grip, the primary issue in squeezing the ball is that if you don't the ball actually will fly off your hand and kill a bus load of nuns! Your subconscious is usually right with the exception of muscle memory, where you got in the habit of squeezing and keep doing so even after your grip is right.

2. You are having the word "HOOK" engraved into your swing thoughts and you are trying so hard to hook the ball that you aren't having a moment where you are just letting things happen.

The balance issue is your slide foot is going to the left instead of underneath your belly button. The usual suspect is universal soled shoes, if you have a pair of these, burn them and get a decent pair of right handed bowling shoes. If you left foot goes off to the left then the rest of you will fall off to the right simple as that.

The best way to fix this is to bend your right knee low going into the slide, this will shift your body weight to the right to where your left foot will have to slide under to maintain balance.

#151270 - 05/09/11 12:15 PM Re: Frustrated at practice thursday took video today . [Re: CoachJim]
Rocket Offline
Virtual League Champion

Thanks all, Yeah Dennis I noticed the bad hand position at the begining as well. Coach Jim the hook on the brain definetly makes sense up until thursday I was hooking even my weakest ball without thinking about it. Thursday night at practice everything I threw was flat more of a slide action so I definetly changed something Thursday night and must be back to trying to force the hook.

Now that you mention grip Coach Jim I had been concoiously feeling the ball rest down on my palm and feeling comfortable at my setup previous to Thursday and Sundays practice I do not remember checking for that feel then.

And yes still cheap Dexter either hand shoes. As far as fit goes I did have all my equipment checked and changed and that is actually when my hook blossemed 1/4" reverse pitch and shortened up a hair I posted pics after the change. I know all the issues wasnt fit but I hope I didnt miss I simply needed to add a piece of tape or two especaillly after pounding in Jordans head he has to feel that.

I was supposed to start the PBA league the 8th but for now I believe I am going to cancel that and focus on proper setup (balance hand doing the work), swing, and finish. I will get this!
Mutant Cell

#151275 - 05/09/11 01:56 PM Re: Frustrated at practice thursday took video today . [Re: Rocket]
TheDemolitionMan Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 23/Male/California, US
I think you can get rid of the elbow in the backswing by getting your arm straight in the pushaway. In the side view shots, none of them have a fully exstended pushaway. Your arm is bent through the whole swing, it shows the most though in the backswing because instead of using your shoulder as the fulcrum (I think that's the right term) you are using your elbow. I would suggest doing this. When next you're out practicing, practice only your first step. By the time your first step is down your arm should be fully exstended and straight, ready to travel through the swing. Then you can progress and drop the ball into a free swing (still not moving mind you). That way you can get the start of the swing where it looks like you're having the bulk of your problems at and the feel of the free swing at the same time.
Be like water making its way through cracks. Don't be assertive, but adjust to the object, and you shall find a way around or through it. If nothing within you stays rigid, outward things will disclose themselves.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Major News in the Industry
by Mkirchie - Yesterday at 07:42 AM
Plastic or Urethane?
by LindaDelcamp - 11/12/19 03:19 PM
Good morning everyone...
by Mkirchie - 11/10/19 09:52 PM
What is the best ball to get?
by djp1080 - 11/10/19 09:02 PM
Which fork on the Hy-Road should I take?
by Mkirchie - 11/02/19 07:05 AM
End of Days
by BOSStull - 11/02/19 06:44 AM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2019 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.