BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#151277 - 05/09/11 03:32 PM Re: Frustrated at practice thursday took video today . [Re: Rocket]
CoachJim Offline
USBC Silver Coach

A/S/L: Reston, Virginia USA
If you are going to work on your game this summer, make the most of it and get your grip fixed so you don't have to squeeze the ball to death. Go 1/4" forward to 0 and see if that doesn't feel better. If you find that you end up squeezing the ball again, go another 1/4" forward and so on until you aren't squeezing the ball, and you are able to straighten your arm without the ball slipping from your grip.

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#151280 - 05/09/11 04:43 PM Re: Frustrated at practice thursday took video today . [Re: Rocket]
mmalsed Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 43/M/Riverside, CA
CoachJim - priceless: "kill a bus load of nuns"

16# IQ Tour Pearl/16# Crux/16# Marvel S/15#White Dot

"Gotta kick at the darkness 'till it bleeds daylight"

#151286 - 05/09/11 06:45 PM Re: Frustrated at practice thursday took video today . [Re: CoachJim]
Rocket Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 45/male/Ohio
Originally Posted By: CoachJim
If you are going to work on your game this summer, make the most of it and get your grip fixed so you don't have to squeeze the ball to death. Go 1/4" forward to 0 and see if that doesn't feel better. If you find that you end up squeezing the ball again, go another 1/4" forward and so on until you aren't squeezing the ball, and you are able to straighten your arm without the ball slipping from your grip.

Thats just it coach Jim I dont have to but I clearly was, I can put my hand in leave it relaxed and pick my ball up no problem. I am not sure if you remember awhile back I was complaining about not being able to get my thumb out of the ball and having an unusually long thumb. Then posted pics of my span and everyone was convinced it was stretched a tad, and you suggested talking to my pro about it and my thumb. The pro without me saying anything about others opinions said right away my span was a bit stretched.

Then we discussed my long thumb and he checked how I was clearing my old ball and said definitely need 1/4" rev pitch and could probably go more but to try the 1/4" first. After that is when my ball started looking like it should and all my equipment felt the same.

I do agree I was squeezing the ball but I think you hit the nail on the head when you stated I was trying to force the hook and I believe that's where the squeeze came from.

I will get another Video up soon with me focused on keeping the hand relaxed and not ripping the cover off the ball. Demo you are right I do see the arm never extends fully I will try some one steps here at home before practice Thursday and see how it goes.
Thanks so much again all
Mutant Cell

#151291 - 05/09/11 10:07 PM Re: Frustrated at practice thursday took video today . [Re: Rocket]
CoachJim Offline
USBC Silver Coach

A/S/L: Reston, Virginia USA
Pay very close attention to your grip as the ball enters the swing and make sure you aren't catching the ball. If you are then you are going to have to go forward with the thumb pitch and shorten the span 1/8".

#151292 - 05/09/11 10:10 PM Re: Frustrated at practice thursday took video today . [Re: Rocket]
Atochabsh Offline
USBC Bronze Coach

A/S/L: 50/F/California
Though Jim's advise is always more then valid. I see the tensing as more of a desire to HOOK THE BALL. Same with the bent arm, because of trying to cup the ball.

If at release you let the ball fall off your thumb, then your fingers are going to naturally roll through the ball. But your arm and hand have to be relaxed enough to let that thumb get out of there.

Think of that desk ornament...Newton's Cradle.

that's how your arm swing should be.

Erin

#151294 - 05/10/11 06:44 AM Re: Frustrated at practice thursday took video today . [Re: Atochabsh]
Rocket Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 45/male/Ohio
Thanks again Erin and Coach Jim, Yes Erin I wouldn't argue with Coach Jims advice lol he has helped me and Jordan a ton. Coach Jim I will try to pay attention to that and here at home since these post I have been swinging my ball with no squeeze So I am convinced it was whatever I did Thursday night to kill the hook turned into trying to force it there for leading to the death grip.

Now the bent arm has plagued me for the longest time although looks a lot worse them before. It used to be mainly at the top of my swing on the way back down where I tend to pull down though another bad habit.

So My plan for practice this week is nothing but swing drills Jordan should be with me his coach is going to be at a tournament so that will help as hard as it is to believe I can not feel that bent arm I imagine where I have done it so long it feels normal, so at least I will have a set of eyes to let me know when I am doing it.

Now to convince myself not to care if I throw it in the gutter 100 times its just practice lol
Mutant Cell

#151296 - 05/10/11 09:39 AM Re: Frustrated at practice thursday took video today . [Re: Rocket]
10PinGaloot Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 65/m/ Woodburn, OR
Most of the time I don't cup the ball. When I do, it's at the top of the backswing, zero gravity point.

Keep in mind that changes in pitch will change your release, in particular the point in the swing at which the ball will release itself from your hand.

Kettlebell wrist curls.

You should be able to swing the ball back and forth without gripping it at all. If not, more tape or a more firm hand position help, but bent elbow is thumbless bowler land.

"I love the smell of lane conditioner in the morning!"
current avatar is Gabby Hayes. Looks a lot like me! smile

#151310 - 05/11/11 02:05 AM Re: Frustrated at practice thursday took video today . [Re: Rocket]
Atochabsh Offline
USBC Bronze Coach

A/S/L: 50/F/California
For you Rocket....you need to lock your elbow. That will get a full extension in your pushaway and help in your free armswing....IMO.

#151321 - 05/11/11 10:09 AM Re: Frustrated at practice thursday took video today . [Re: Rocket]
sk8shorty01 Offline
Virtual League Champion x2

A/S/L: 30/M/Merritt Island, FL
Rocket,

I believe CoachJim and Erin are both correct on things you need to be checking. I would also check the shape of your pushaway, if you do not get it smooth (think the ball starting at the top of a ferris wheel) you will want to catch it. If there is a quick change in direction, think ball falling off a cliff) at the end of your push away you will automatically grab on the ball as it will be tricking your brain into thinking it has to catch the ball. By creating shape in the pushaway you will be able to keep the brain from thinking the ball is falling and let yourself realize that the ball is swinging.
IAB Staff Member

PBA Member
USBC Level 1 Certified Coach
Head Coach - Cocoa High School

Career 300 games - 5
Career 800 series - 6
High Scratch Series - 823

#151334 - 05/11/11 11:56 AM Re: Frustrated at practice thursday took video today . [Re: Atochabsh]
DocLogic77 Offline
Action Bowler

A/S/L: m/37/ky
Originally Posted By: Atochabsh
In addition I think a lot of this bent elbow comes from trying to cup the ball. And you can cup the ball, but you need to use a different set of muscles to do it. Not the arm muscles.

Erin

For me, I think this is the issue. I can only remember feeling my elbow bend during one session and it was my last one. But, I'm a "cupper", and my wrist has gained strength over time. So, I am able to stay under and to the left of the ball until release. But, I think my hand positioning is exaggerated and might be contributing to this elbow bend. Good to know.
Storm Virtual Gravity #15
Columbia Bedlam #15
Storm Natural Pearl #15
--------------------------
Current Average-185
High Game-259 (5/4/11)
High Series-690 (5/4/11)
First Clean Game-1/13/11-204, second 234 (1/17/11)

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
End of Days
by steveA - 10/16/19 06:00 PM
Resurface is always a thrilling topic
by BOSStull - 10/04/19 06:17 PM
USBC General Playing Rule 18 Change
by BOSStull - 09/22/19 11:01 AM
USBC Rule 12
by BOSStull - 09/22/19 10:44 AM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2019 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.