BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#151168 - 05/05/11 07:35 PM Making Molded Thumb in Turbo Switch grips
ijohn83 Offline
4x Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 54/male/Palmdale, California U...
Hi friends.

I thought I would post this Video I made with my Daughter. This, I hope is the end of my trek to get a perfect thumb hole for me. My issue is that the base of my thumb is bigger than my knuckle when I put my thumb all the way into a bowling ball. I was having the perfect oval slugs made, then having a round drill open up the top 1 5/16 round and 1/2" deep to get my thumb all the way in to its crease. This was causing the top of the thumb slugs to break and the ball to chip, along with making the slugs hard to put in & out. This solution has fixed all that and has, some how, cut my ball speed from 18.5 to 16.0?

Feed back wanted.

~ John

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#151175 - 05/05/11 10:33 PM Re: Making Molded Thumb in Turbo Switch grips [Re: ijohn83]
B-Hammer Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 30/M/Bellingham WA
You and your daughter did a great job, very in depth. Do you do different slugs for different times of the year, or how do you account for when your thumb changes sizes?

#151178 - 05/05/11 11:23 PM Re: Making Molded Thumb in Turbo Switch grips [Re: B-Hammer]
ijohn83 Offline

The thumb slug I used for my thumb mold was my best one. The hole was drilled for my proper reverse & right pitch, along with the proper oval with room for two black tapes. So when I use them now I have two black tapes in them. With summer coming I might go to only one black tape.
When I was harder on my thumb I had 2nd & 3rd pairs to switch to. I do not like to switch from strike ball to spare ball durring a game only on ball changes so I like pairs. That, also, gives me a back-up slug just in case of problems.

~ John

#151180 - 05/06/11 05:43 AM Re: Making Molded Thumb in Turbo Switch grips [Re: ijohn83]
10PinGaloot Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 65/m/ Woodburn, OR
Awesome. You deserve today's good citizenship award.
"I love the smell of lane conditioner in the morning!"
current avatar is Gabby Hayes. Looks a lot like me! smile

#151214 - 05/07/11 09:00 AM Re: Making Molded Thumb in Turbo Switch grips [Re: ijohn83]
CoachJim Offline
USBC Silver Coach

A/S/L: Reston, Virginia USA
You guys did a great job on this, does your daughter bowl?

Can you make a cast of your thumb and make a mold from that? Then all you would need to do is work it out with a drum sander when your thumb expands or swells. This would prevent bending of the thumb in the hole and give you an exact fit to your thumb.

#151223 - 05/07/11 07:32 PM Re: Making Molded Thumb in Turbo Switch grips [Re: CoachJim]
ijohn83 Offline

Originally Posted By: CoachJim
You guys did a great job on this, does your daughter bowl?

Can you make a cast of your thumb and make a mold from that? Then all you would need to do is work it out with a drum sander when your thumb expands or swells. This would prevent bending of the thumb in the hole and give you an exact fit to your thumb.

Candice does not bowl. But we had so much fun acting like she knew what she was talking about.
I did not just cast my thumb (yet). I have too much time and money invested in getting the perfect pitches that I wanted to make sure that they were right. At a later date I will cast my thumb without the line-up slug to compare the two.

~John

#151238 - 05/08/11 02:20 PM Re: Making Molded Thumb in Turbo Switch grips [Re: ijohn83]
CoachJim Offline
USBC Silver Coach

A/S/L: Reston, Virginia USA
Quote:

Candice does not bowl. But we had so much fun acting like she knew what she was talking about.

Wow! I was going to recommend people see her for fitting/lessons smile

When you get your pitches the way you want, take the tape out of the hole, put a latex glove on your thumb, put your thumb in the properly pitched thumb sleeve and keep your thumb pressed to the front of the hole and make the mold around it, this will keep the pitches the way you have them. If the molding compound gets between the front of your thumb and the sleeve then it will alter your pitch away from where you want it.

One other thing to take into consideration is you might have to back off on the forward pitch once you have a hole that is perfectly molded to your thumb. You will have to try it and see for yourself.

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Major News in the Industry
by Mkirchie - Yesterday at 04:35 PM
Our Bowling Ally is now Chuckie Cheese
by Dennis Michael - Yesterday at 01:00 PM
Good morning everyone...
by djp1080 - Yesterday at 12:50 PM
Plastic or Urethane?
by Dennis Michael - Yesterday at 12:45 PM
What is the best ball to get?
by djp1080 - 11/10/19 09:02 PM
Which fork on the Hy-Road should I take?
by Mkirchie - 11/02/19 07:05 AM
End of Days
by BOSStull - 11/02/19 06:44 AM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2019 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.