BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#150158 - 04/16/11 10:18 AM Getting hassled by drunks, What the.....?
looseleftie Offline
Hall of Famer Contender

A/S/L: 45 m
Hey all,
It's Sat night, my wife had a friend over, they were watching a "chic" flik, and it was kindly suggested by my wife, do u want to watch the movie or if u like u can go bowling... Well, I was straight out the door lol...

Anyway, so I'm at my bowling centre, a few lanes down from me, 6 guys were bowling and drinking pretty full on.. No big deal, except when I left they were hanging out near the car and still drinking, and one guys begins by complimenting me, I say thanks, then he becomes a real smartass, then gets verbally abusive and very confrontational, with his mates all eagerly looking on.. I'm sure they were waiting for me to tell to ***** off, in the hope that they can have an excuse for a fight.. He keeps mouthing off, I'm beginning to get my back up, but I play along, smile, and eventually hop into my car, and head home...

Man I wish I knew UFC.. I have never experienced a threatening situation in bowling before... It was totally unnecessary, but these guys were just looking for trouble big time..

I hate bullies, and especially cowardly bullies who act accordingly to how many mates are backing them....

Bowled great, shame that kinda put a downa on the evening...
Anyone had problems with as*holes at your centre?

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#150160 - 04/16/11 11:12 AM Re: Getting hassled by drunks, What the.....? [Re: looseleftie]
TheDemolitionMan Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 23/Male/California, US
You'd want to know MMA (Mixed Martial Arts) or a Martial Art Leftie. You can still learn them. The biggest issue would be flexibility and balance.

But some stand-up fighting, kicking, evading, trapping and locks and some grappling and you're good to go. I still think my favorite submission is a tie between the flying arm bar and the standing headlock choke. Either will put people down fast. And a backfist to the temple or a vertical punch to the throat will always slow them down to. Oh oh, and the palm strikes to the ears will work too, I'm not to sure how well on drunks though because that is meant to disorient and screw with the equilibrium. A drunk already has their equilibrium jacked up...so meh.

Also, be careful fighting drunks, alcohol has a way of enraging people along with not letting them feel as much pain.

That being said, I hate bullies too. They are extremely annoying and for what, because their self-esteem is so low that they have to bring someone down to their level and feel powerful. Bah! Those hacks better look elsewhere, or my skull will crack theirs.
Be like water making its way through cracks. Don't be assertive, but adjust to the object, and you shall find a way around or through it. If nothing within you stays rigid, outward things will disclose themselves.

#150166 - 04/16/11 02:30 PM Re: Getting hassled by drunks, What the.....? [Re: looseleftie]
DocLogic77 Offline
Action Bowler

A/S/L: m/37/ky
I haven't yet had to deal with difficult drunks at my local lanes but I tend to bowl in the afternoon. I like bowling when the lanes are quiet.

With that said, anytime something like this happens it's hard for a guy to swallow. Even if there are a 100 guys there, we feel "punked" and allow it to hurt our egos. Been there...get it but you did the right thing.

You could have always gone up to him, hit him in the mouth...gotten your butt kicked by several drunks, gone to jail, gone to the hospital or even gotten killed. IMO, you chose the better route. Swallow your pride, get in your car and go home.

If it becomes an issue in the future, public drunkeness isn't legal and I'm sure the local authorities would pay them a visit. If you are lucky they might mouth the cop...lol.

Don't sweat it.
Storm Virtual Gravity #15
Columbia Bedlam #15
Storm Natural Pearl #15
--------------------------
Current Average-185
High Game-259 (5/4/11)
High Series-690 (5/4/11)
First Clean Game-1/13/11-204, second 234 (1/17/11)

#150167 - 04/16/11 02:42 PM Re: Getting hassled by drunks, What the.....? [Re: looseleftie]
ebon betta Offline
Team USA Contender

A/S/L: 54/m/nyc /ny2
If it were me I'd have gone back into the bowling alley as though I had forgotten something and dialed 911.
1. I felt threatened ..
2. They are publicly intoxicated...
3. They might get into their car or cars....a dui would give them enough to worry about.
There is no need to be assaulted just to feel manly.

#150168 - 04/16/11 02:49 PM Re: Getting hassled by drunks, What the.....? [Re: looseleftie]
aoiten Offline
Legend

A/S/L: amerika ni sunde iru
TheDemolitionMan...good backup plan!

looseleftie, you handled it brilliantly considering the outcome. Getting on the mobile and bringing in some legal support would have been a good option as well.

At my local alley, there are "security" people there at night. I've never seen a real problem. They just keep things going smooth, I guess.

I had a problem with drunk and/or high people and *I* ended up in jail! Get the law on your side from the start and keep it that way. Or just stay for the movie next time! haha

#150170 - 04/16/11 03:20 PM Re: Getting hassled by drunks, What the.....? [Re: looseleftie]
trekguy Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 56/M/Mn
Agreed, you did the right the right/smart thing. It's a kick in the pants when something like that happens... tends to make a person feel small. But, the alternative usually turns out worse, way worse.
Motiv Venom Shock
Motiv Arctic Sniper
Motiv Tank

#150171 - 04/16/11 03:24 PM Re: Getting hassled by drunks, What the.....? [Re: looseleftie]
One Pin Standing Offline
Action Bowler

A/S/L: 44/Male/Forsyth Co., GA. USA
I am sitting here gritting my teeth at the moment wanting to comment, but I will refrain due to my lack of "political correctness" regarding what recourse is appropiate in this situation, other than to state any type of UFC, MMA, or law enforcement is useless against the immediate perceived threat of a group of drunks. I've seen all the above fail too many times, and that's all I have to say on the subject.

Edited by One Pin Standing (04/16/11 03:26 PM)

In the bag:

811C/T
300C
300A
912T
508A
811ASE

#150175 - 04/16/11 04:28 PM Re: Getting hassled by drunks, What the.....? [Re: looseleftie]
Calvin Pistorio Offline
State Champion Contender

A/S/L: 32/m/maryland
I've never had this issue myself, but I would have just got in my truck and pulled off. I would have probably had been irate, but it would be better than getting in a fight and either ending up in jail or in a hospital. It's not worth it to get into something over nothing. Now I have seen issues arise in bowling league and alcohol was involved, just not the main cause of the incidents.
HS:763

#150181 - 04/16/11 06:06 PM Re: Getting hassled by drunks, What the.....? [Re: looseleftie]
kwik8 Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 40/m/Md
Hey, never really had this happen at any of the centers I bowl at and glad to says so. I have been involved in Pancrase, Muay Thai and some other grappling since I was a kid and can tell you first hand that won't stop six guys from beating your head in if you get jumped. Movies are about the only place you will see someone succesfully defend against that kind of thing, not reality. I have walked away from a few altercations over the years and been very happy to. Getting in your car and leaving without getting into trouble or getting jumped was the best thing you could do. As mentioned not a bad idea to call the police or center and let them know. Sorry it ruined a good evening of bowling.

#150189 - 04/16/11 09:31 PM Re: Getting hassled by drunks, What the.....? [Re: kwik8]
TheDemolitionMan Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 23/Male/California, US
I haven't had anything like that happen to me at the alley either. I'm more of a peace-loving person first in the midst of those confrontational types. Then if need be they'll wake up face down in the parking lot wondering why they're bleeding and their arm doesn't work right and is bent the wrong way. But that's if and only IF things go that far.
Be like water making its way through cracks. Don't be assertive, but adjust to the object, and you shall find a way around or through it. If nothing within you stays rigid, outward things will disclose themselves.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Summer Leagues 2018 thread
by 6_ball_man - Yesterday at 06:08 AM
For the good of the sport?
by BOSStull - 06/16/18 06:39 PM
what will become of AMF
by Dennis Michael - 06/10/18 05:29 AM
2018 USBC Open Championships Syracuse NY
by wronghander - 05/27/18 05:03 PM
no one on for 5 days
by 82Boat69 - 05/23/18 04:38 PM
True Motion vs. Black Widow Urethane
by Mkirchie - 05/20/18 07:28 AM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2018 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.