BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#150083 - 04/15/11 12:04 AM Recommend ball for new 2 hander
Bubbershrimp Offline
Bumper Bowler

A/S/L: 27, male, Spokane, WA
Little background, I had always been a 1 handed palmer. I was restricted to basically a house ball due to my low speed (11-12mph) and high revs. I averaged 185 as a casual bowler, bout once a week, with very consistent 200-220 games. Eventually I wasnt really improving and I was starting to hurt my arm with my 2 finger style. So about 3 weeks ago I switched to two handed. I have already had a few 175 games but I am totally relearning the game all over, which is very enjoyable. I need to purchase a good all around ball and it will be my only ball at this point due to the casual nature of my bowling. I have been using friends equipment who are all right handers, thus fighting the weight of the ball and not getting anywhere near the reaction I would if I was throwing a ball properly drilled for a lefty. So I am a lefty, 2 hander, throw between 15 and 16 mph (for now), stand with my left foot on the second dot from the far right, and aim just to the right of the third diamond from the left (sorry for the confusion, don't know the proper terminology for each of the individual boards). Thoughts? Any input is greatly appreciated, don't know where to start.

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#150086 - 04/15/11 12:51 AM Re: Recommend ball for new 2 hander [Re: Bubbershrimp]
PetyaSol Offline
League Bowler

A/S/L: 23 Male Russia
Lefty 2-hander, that sounds like a killer.

Get a tropical heat from Storm , decide by the color you like more.
Storm Victory Road Solid 15
Roto Grip Critical Theory 15
Storm Vg Nano 15
Storm Anarchy 15
Storm Hy-Road 15
Storm Rapid Fire Pearl 14 (retired)
Ebonite Maxim 14 (retired)

#150087 - 04/15/11 01:00 AM Re: Recommend ball for new 2 hander [Re: PetyaSol]
B-Hammer Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 30/M/Bellingham WA
Originally Posted By: PetyaSol
Lefty 2-hander, that sounds like a killer.

Get a tropical heat from Storm , decide by the color you like more.

Good ball selection, but not all the colors are the same. The black silver has a hybrid cover that is slightly stronger then the other colors.

Sling Shot is also a good choice if you want a ball a tad less aggressive.

#150105 - 04/15/11 11:47 AM Re: Recommend ball for new 2 hander [Re: Bubbershrimp]
aoiten Offline
Legend

A/S/L: amerika ni sunde iru
As a two-hander myself, I usually suggest a urethane ball for a new two-hander. I have an Avalanche, but a Grenade, Natural, or Natural Pearl to name a few, are good options. Your speed may allow you to use a stronger ball though. Usually the speed is lower for people learning a two-handed approach and a urethane coverstock keeps the revs from making the ball hook like mad.

We have both Tropical Heats right now. The pearl and the hybrid versions. I haven't tested the pearl much, but so far I would NOT recommend it to a new two-hander. The hybrid, maybe.

A ball that I took interest in recently is the Dark Star (pearl), which should be weaker than the Heat hybrid and maybe smoother than the Heat pearl. At the opposite end, I've been spying a used Cell pearl. It depends on the lanes and your technique.

#150112 - 04/15/11 02:27 PM Re: Recommend ball for new 2 hander [Re: Bubbershrimp]
aoiten Offline
Legend

Hey, BTW, I don't know if you've noticed, but with two-hands you can draw the ball into the backswing without cupping your hand. (Is that possible for a one-handed thumbless bowler?) The elbow must bend somewhat though--Belmo style. It kind of feels like lifting an over-filled box with your fingers under it.

#150113 - 04/15/11 02:54 PM Re: Recommend ball for new 2 hander [Re: Bubbershrimp]
Bubbershrimp Offline
Bumper Bowler

Yeah that was the biggest benefit to my style change. As a 1 handed very high rev bowler, I was putting a ton of strain on my wrist by cupping the ball. Now 2 handed, I no longer have to cup the ball (at least no where near as much), keeping much less pressure on my wrist. I am still able to straighten my arm out during my release to increase velocity. Thanks for the ball suggestions so far, keep em coming. Lane conditions I usually play on are pretty burnt up but I don't want a ball meant completely for low oil, I will adjust accordingly. So far looking at the tropical heat.

Edited by Bubbershrimp (04/15/11 02:55 PM)

#150114 - 04/15/11 03:08 PM Re: Recommend ball for new 2 hander [Re: Bubbershrimp]
aoiten Offline
Legend

Sounds good. Yeah, even if the elbow bends in the backswing, the arm should straighten as it begins to swing forward. By bending the elbow you can also get the ball higher which increases the free swing distance and potential energy (in theory).

With your speed and the tendency for higher revs, I'd guess that the Heat pearl would go long and shoot sideways. The Heat hybrid is smoother and the coverstock should be more responsive to sanding or polishing.

It seems that professional two-handers tend to favour hybrids.

Hmm...how about a Rising Star hybrid?

#150129 - 04/15/11 09:02 PM Re: Recommend ball for new 2 hander [Re: Bubbershrimp]
aoiten Offline
Legend

OK, tested the Heat pearl today on a fresh lane. Had trouble keeping it from crossing over and that's with only 1-1.5" of visible track flare. Some extra speed might've helped and it might be easier to control the ball on a broken down lane. I had similar results with the Cell pearl which is technically a much stronger ball.

#150131 - 04/15/11 09:29 PM Re: Recommend ball for new 2 hander [Re: Bubbershrimp]
Bubbershrimp Offline
Bumper Bowler

Ordered the tropical heat hybrid (black/silver), should be here in a week. Will have it drilled for length with an aggressive back end. I will let you know what I think

#150133 - 04/15/11 10:50 PM Re: Recommend ball for new 2 hander [Re: Bubbershrimp]
aoiten Offline
Legend

Originally Posted By: Bubbershrimp
Ordered the tropical heat hybrid (black/silver), should be here in a week. Will have it drilled for length with an aggressive back end. I will let you know what I think

Decisive. I would have laboured over that for days. heh

If you don't like the reaction, you could always play with different coverstock finishes. See the attached video.

Just make sure you base the drilling off your positive axis point(PAP), or at least your initial track position. With my high track, the length drilling that I chose (pin centred above the fingers) didn't flare at all. Later I had a balance hole added to engage the core and get some flare. If I had placed the pin an inch or so to the side, the ball would have had flare to begin with, with the option either reduce or increase it with a balance hole. The good news is that a balance hole can make a big difference. Now, if someone with a lower track were to use the ball, it should flare even more.

Heat surface change video:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Duplicating the reaction of an obsolete ball
by Dennis Michael - Yesterday at 03:59 PM
Fall/Winter 2018-19 Leagues Thread
by Richie V. - Yesterday at 01:06 PM
2018 USBC Open Championships Syracuse NY
by wronghander - 08/07/18 08:45 PM
Summer Leagues 2018 thread
by Vic44 - 08/04/18 10:41 PM
Short Pin to Axis Layouts for Full Rollers?
by nord - 07/28/18 04:27 PM
Axis Weight Layout for Full Roller?
by Mkirchie - 07/28/18 07:45 AM
PBA Moving From ESPN to Fox
by Gutterballqueen313 - 07/25/18 01:50 PM
End of Days
by Gutterballqueen313 - 07/25/18 01:41 PM
Summer House Tourney
by Dennis Michael - 07/24/18 08:26 AM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2018 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.