BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#149841 - 04/11/11 12:49 AM Two handed bowling after one year
d_j_s Offline
Junior Master

A/S/L: M/Göteborg
About a year ago I posted a video of my two handed form. I have now made a follow up video of my new form. It is about 20 mph with a lot of revs, and I have seen results. Since switching to two handed my sport average has gone from 171 to 205 and my house average from 192 to 224, plus I have done way better in tournaments. The video is made to appeal to bowlers and non-bowlers alike, so it is mostly strikes and good shots...but still feel free to critique it.

House Average: 224
Sport Average: 206
Tour Average: 195

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#149843 - 04/11/11 01:28 AM Re: Two handed bowling after one year [Re: d_j_s]
PetyaSol Offline
League Bowler

A/S/L: 23 Male Russia
U need to become smooth , like Osku or Belmo , most people who start bowling with 2 hands , look like they have tourette"s syndrom.
I have fun playing two handed from time to time , but really can't play with reactive equipment, to much revs , but with plastic I had some great times. U can see that my HG and HS are with plastic, though I'm not really two handing , just playing as usual but without my thumb.
Storm Victory Road Solid 15
Roto Grip Critical Theory 15
Storm Vg Nano 15
Storm Anarchy 15
Storm Hy-Road 15
Storm Rapid Fire Pearl 14 (retired)
Ebonite Maxim 14 (retired)

#149856 - 04/11/11 10:30 AM Re: Two handed bowling after one year [Re: PetyaSol]
d_j_s Offline
Junior Master

To me the biggest things are accuracy, consistency, balance, power, and of course the result. If I can consistently throw an accurate shot over and over, getting a strike each time, I really don't think about the "smoothness." I understand what you mean, but even one handed bowlers sometimes have strange motions in their form. Also, I have practiced this form for one year, so I think that I am rather experienced with it, but I could always improve. Thank you for your comment. By the way, what is your ball speed with your plastic equipment?

Edited by d_j_s (04/11/11 10:31 AM)

#149860 - 04/11/11 11:58 AM Re: Two handed bowling after one year [Re: d_j_s]
PetyaSol Offline
League Bowler

A/S/L: 23 Male Russia
What I was trying to say with Smoothness , is that you need to get lower, more knee bend and slide , that will help a lot, since I've watched ur video u tend to lose balance a lot, and that's because u stand on a straight feet , sliding will also help. I'll make a video tomorrow on a pratice throwing without a thumb, since I never really measered my speed.

Storm Victory Road Solid 15
Roto Grip Critical Theory 15
Storm Vg Nano 15
Storm Anarchy 15
Storm Hy-Road 15
Storm Rapid Fire Pearl 14 (retired)
Ebonite Maxim 14 (retired)

#149861 - 04/11/11 12:25 PM Re: Two handed bowling after one year [Re: PetyaSol]
d_j_s Offline
Junior Master

While I do agree that I need to get lower and have more of a bend at the legs and less at the back, I think that my balance may have been a little misrepresented. The clips in the video came from 3 places: 1 practice session and 2 tournaments. In the practice sessions, the one in which I am wearing a blue shirt, I almost never lose my balance and have a very nice finish. The shots where I lose my balance all where in the 2nd tournament, where some idiot starting putting EZ Slide everywhere and messing everyone up.

#149862 - 04/11/11 12:35 PM Re: Two handed bowling after one year [Re: d_j_s]
champ Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 32/M/AZ
I don't think in general that crankers and two handers and no thumbers are too concerned when it comes to balance and that sort of thing. The have the ball speed, revs, and power to trade off the with the finesse that strokers exploit. I say if you have a 200+ sport average, and a 220+ house average, what you are doing is working.

I assume you have a pretty high carry percentage, so maybe working on your spare game (these are just assumptions) may get you into the 230 average range, but you are closing in on the feasible ceiling for average.

USBC Open personal bests: 226/602/1690
USBC Open career average: 174.66 (45 Games)

See you in Reno 2020!

#149864 - 04/11/11 01:32 PM Re: Two handed bowling after one year [Re: champ]
d_j_s Offline
Junior Master

I agree with everything that you said. And yes, my spare shooting could improve. I had a tournament yesterday that I won, and I shot 663 for 3 games. However, the first game I missed two make-able spares, and I thought if I could make those it would really help my performance. That is definitely the next step.

#149866 - 04/11/11 01:54 PM Re: Two handed bowling after one year [Re: d_j_s]
aoiten Offline
Legend

A/S/L: amerika ni sunde iru
Yeah, the first thing that I locked onto is the intensity of the delivery. For anyone learning the two-handed style, I wouldn't suggest /trying/ to be that intense. However, if that's the way you naturally play, it's fine. Over time it might smooth out and it might not. Results sound good though.

I was being coached by a really good one-hander recently. He said that the way I tend to play, I'm turning a "power game" into an accuracy game. I learned some useful things from him, but ultimately I'll have to play my own game. Same for you, I'd say.

#149880 - 04/11/11 04:45 PM Re: Two handed bowling after one year [Re: aoiten]
TheDemolitionMan Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 23/Male/California, US
The thing I noticed the most dj is that you don't have a slide really. It's more of a plant where you jerk the ball through the swing. If you look at Osku and Belmo they have a bit of a slide. Helps with their balance, smoothing out the release and rev and speed generation. The balance will help with the release and the smooth release will help improve your accuracy.

The other thing that I noticed is that you get low by tilting your shoulders and upper body forward. That can cause you rush your shot because your timing will feel sped up. I'd suggest you work on getting a bit lower with your legs and trying to keep your shoulders from being so perpendicular to the lanes and more back and in line with your body. It'll again, help smooth out your approach and help with your balance, release and accuracy. You'll have to learn how to use a dipped shoulder but yeah.

And in regards to spare shooting. Look at some articles or videos on axis rotation. I've found that a two-handed bowler can still apply that. If you can get a handle on the 0 axis rotation one used for spare shooting you may be able to reduce the reaction enough to improve your spare shooting.

There's my two cents worth. Hope it helps.

The Demolition Man

Edited by TheDemolitionMan (04/11/11 04:54 PM)
Be like water making its way through cracks. Don't be assertive, but adjust to the object, and you shall find a way around or through it. If nothing within you stays rigid, outward things will disclose themselves.

#149884 - 04/11/11 05:07 PM Re: Two handed bowling after one year [Re: aoiten]
kwik8 Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 40/m/Md
thanks for posting the video, was fun to watch. Those are some really nice gains in average on both sport and ths. Looks like the two handed style fits you well.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Quitting my League
by BOSStull - 4 seconds ago
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2020 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.