BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#149605 - 04/06/11 06:11 PM Any ABT members/opinions?
champ Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 32/M/AZ
I'm thinking of joining the ABT and would like insight. I'd like to bowl some tournaments, and have frinds here in town that travel to Nevada and California for events, and are looking for someone else to help with gas money whenever they decide to go.

Outside of participating member, the member fees are kind of steep. According to some folks, you are only guaranteed to bowl 3 games, so the cos of entry would be steep if you don't cash.

Are the tournaments fun and well organized? Are they competitive? Are any events sanctioned through USBC, or do you get recognition from them for honor scores? Do they use sport shots or THS? Any other insights?

USBC Open personal bests: 226/602/1690
USBC Open career average: 174.66 (45 Games)

See you in Reno 2020!

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#149606 - 04/06/11 08:02 PM Re: Any ABT members/opinions? [Re: champ]
aoiten Offline
Legend

A/S/L: amerika ni sunde iru
You can do an event as a guest of a member. If you win, ABT deducts the membership fee from the prize money. The entry fee is kind of high, but I know a guy who just won $10,000! He "only" averages 170-180.

#149608 - 04/06/11 08:54 PM Re: Any ABT members/opinions? [Re: champ]
champ Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 32/M/AZ
Wow, I might be sold. If there is opportunity for 170-180 avg bowlers t pick up ten grand, I like it.

USBC Open personal bests: 226/602/1690
USBC Open career average: 174.66 (45 Games)

See you in Reno 2020!

#149616 - 04/06/11 11:27 PM Re: Any ABT members/opinions? [Re: champ]
spillup24 Offline
High Roller

A/S/L: Philadelphia, PA
The opportunity to win $10k happens once a year...You have to pay $80 for the tournament and you have to get in the Progressinve pot which is another $40 or so.

You are ONLY guaranteed 3 games...to me that is a joke and will never bowl in it again.

A normal tourney is $40-$50 entyr but you have to get in the progressive which is another $20 in order to win the $1000 first place prize. Not worth it to me since you only get 3 games of qualifying. One bad game and you are pretty much done. They usually use a sport shot but do not thell you what it is. Also, it is handicapped which I also hate.

#149618 - 04/06/11 11:58 PM Re: Any ABT members/opinions? [Re: champ]
aoiten Offline
Legend

Originally Posted By: champ
Wow, I might be sold. If there is opportunity for 170-180 avg bowlers t pick up ten grand, I like it.

That was his second win. I don't know what he won in the first one. I do know that you get /some/ money just for making it to the semi-finals. You get bonus pins for future events when you don't advance.

The first time I saw an ABT event, the guy's son won $2500.

Locally at least, they also have drawings for ball give-aways. You can enter side bets as well. Still, it isn't cheap at $55+ to enter. I mean, even as a guest, you have to pay to enter.

If you do join as a member, find a member's name to write down on your application. In my area, if you get a certain number of people to join, you get, I believe, a lifetime membership. It would be nice to help someone else along that path. ^_-

I'm not really trying to promote ABT; just throwing out some data. It would be les expensive to just do virtual tournaments really. A VT uses your league scores.

I /might/ do an ABT tournament as a guest very soon, just because it's 5-minutes away from home and my wife will be competing in it. She's a veteran. I...I'm not technically ready for it, but with a big handicap, I'd like to see what might happen. haha

#149620 - 04/07/11 12:02 AM Re: Any ABT members/opinions? [Re: spillup24]
aoiten Offline
Legend

Originally Posted By: spillup24
The opportunity to win $10k happens once a year...You have to pay $80 for the tournament and you have to get in the Progressinve pot which is another $40 or so.

I don't know about the Progressive Pot thing. If that were true in Delaware, my wife happened to leave that info out! I know she paid more than usual to enter though.

Yeah, three games is kind of [censored]. Five would be nice.

#149636 - 04/07/11 12:04 PM Re: Any ABT members/opinions? [Re: champ]
AmpleSound Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 34/M/CO
It's a tournament so I don't see a problem with only three games, though people also tend to refer to it as "The Sand Baggers Tour". My best finish was 6th place, and I paid $120 or so for entry with progressive, and made about $400. Your goal is + pins over your average which then gives you a shot at bowling more than three games. You can also enter as much as you'd like/can afford lol. I was 1st ranked twice going into the semi's and failed to make the step ladder both times. Fun experience, and here in Denver ABT they let you know what pattern you're bowling on. Which is never a THS in these parts.
Columbia Plastic - (Spares/Dry)

My best:
HGS - 300
HSS - 769

#149664 - 04/07/11 10:16 PM Re: Any ABT members/opinions? [Re: AmpleSound]
kwik8 Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 40/m/Md
My only experience with it is he said she said. That said the guy who was telling me all about it said in the area I just moved from that the guy would purposely put some kind of off the wall shot down to try to make scoring incredibly difficult. He also warned me about the "sandbaggers" were everywhere in them, I took that info from two sources I trust and skipped entering. I did come by the center and watch two events and saw a lot of frustrated complaining bowlers, it seemed to be some sort of reverse block. Seeing the reaction I was happy I didn't enter, I didn't have anything weak enough for that.

#149667 - 04/08/11 12:00 AM Re: Any ABT members/opinions? [Re: champ]
aoiten Offline
Legend

Hey, I did notice that some straight shooters tend to cash regularly. I wanted to enter as a spinner for that reason, but then I started working on a different style.

#149668 - 04/08/11 12:06 AM Re: Any ABT members/opinions? [Re: champ]
General Pounder Offline
3x Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 40/M/Midlothian, IL
I bowled in an ABT once. It was a straight bowlers dream and a nightmare for those with any hand in the ball. I was taking a Red Pearl Shadow and playing 5th arrow out to 10. 9 was out of bounds.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Arthritis?
by 82Boat69 - 12/12/19 09:43 PM
Friends made a dumb bet
by Dylan585 - 12/05/19 07:50 PM
Difference between shammy & microfiber towel
by Dylan585 - 12/05/19 07:49 PM
Bowler turns 100
by Dennis Michael - 11/19/19 05:04 PM
Our Bowling Ally is now Chuckie Cheese
by djp1080 - 11/18/19 07:59 PM
Major News in the Industry
by Mkirchie - 11/17/19 04:35 PM
Good morning everyone...
by djp1080 - 11/17/19 12:50 PM
Plastic or Urethane?
by Dennis Michael - 11/17/19 12:45 PM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2019 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.