BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#149216 - 03/29/11 12:56 AM Seeking comments/criticisms about my game
crabstyle Offline
Bumper Bowler

A/S/L: 28/M/CA
Hi all,
I have been bowling for about 4.5 years. My first two years I averaged around 170 then the next two I did 182. This year I made a big jump to 210-215 depending on the house. I wanted to post these videos of me bowling to get feedback about my game. I know there is a ton wrong with my game, but I dont know where to start. So if you see good things/ bad things I am eager to hear what you guys have to say.
CrabStyle

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#149266 - 03/30/11 01:05 PM Re: Seeking comments/criticisms about my game [Re: crabstyle]
aoiten Offline
Legend

A/S/L: amerika ni sunde iru
Let me try to open the flood gates. To me, your slide is a bit long. At a 210-215 average it's clearly working for you, so it's just a matter of preference. I'm sure your knee is happy about it as well.

(I see a little, possible future Belmo in the background.)

#149273 - 03/30/11 02:59 PM Re: Seeking comments/criticisms about my game [Re: aoiten]
crabstyle Offline
Bumper Bowler

A/S/L: 28/M/CA
Thanks aoiten,
While it may be working I am curious to know if it is something that would be of benefit to change. What would I gain from a shorter slide?
Again I appreciate your help,
CrabStyle

#149274 - 03/30/11 04:29 PM Re: Seeking comments/criticisms about my game [Re: crabstyle]
Steven Stroud Offline
Junior Master

A/S/L: 33yo/Male/Austin TX
Your game looks good, and GREAT AVERAGE bud! The slide looks long because your far away from the foul line on your sliding step and naturally you're gonna want to get to the foul line. I'd step up a foot or two and see how you feel and also try to slow your feet down. Moving up on the approach will help with the rushing the approach too.

Maybe work on staying behind the ball a little more (this is small and is something you can work on when ever). More then anything bowling is about repeating shots, and it looks like and from your avg. id say you do that well. Oh and in what ever adjustment you make in your game always remember to keep the swing free (one of my big issues hehe).

Keep up the good work! thumbsup

#149275 - 03/30/11 04:33 PM Re: Seeking comments/criticisms about my game [Re: crabstyle]
aoiten Offline
Legend

A/S/L: amerika ni sunde iru
Originally Posted By: crabstyle
Thanks aoiten,
While it may be working I am curious to know if it is something that would be of benefit to change. What would I gain from a shorter slide?
Again I appreciate your help,
CrabStyle

I'll let someone else give you a better answer. heh I just get the impression that your heel isn't braking as much as I would want for my self. If you have interchangeable heels and soles, just experiment a little.

Do you feel a difference in your slide at different bowling alleys? Who knows? Maybe that accounts for the 5 pin difference. The averages are very consistent though, aren't they?

Edited by aoiten (03/30/11 04:33 PM)

#149623 - 04/07/11 12:27 AM Re: Seeking comments/criticisms about my game [Re: aoiten]
DocLogic77 Offline
Action Bowler

A/S/L: m/37/ky
Terrific average and I don't see a ton wrong with your swing. But, if I seen anything it was with your follow through. I didn't really pick it up on the back view. But, on the side view you can see your follow through needs some work. It looks abbreviated and too compact. Seeing you extend a bit more towards your target will do a couple things for you. 1) increase your accuracy. 2) Give you a bit more length. And in my book both of those tend to help my game. Forgive the advice from a newb but I hope it helps. smile
Storm Virtual Gravity #15
Columbia Bedlam #15
Storm Natural Pearl #15
--------------------------
Current Average-185
High Game-259 (5/4/11)
High Series-690 (5/4/11)
First Clean Game-1/13/11-204, second 234 (1/17/11)

#149634 - 04/07/11 11:37 AM Re: Seeking comments/criticisms about my game [Re: crabstyle]
Dennis Michael Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: M/Barrington, Ill
Timing and tempo look good. The only thing I saw was your wrist turning through the backswing. You have an early turn, then on a couple of shots, you got your wrist behind the ball, then rotated back out again. On those balls, you were high.

I would keep your wrist from turning so much to maintain consistency.
Legends - L/M Xtreme Damage 15# Strong pearl

#150572 - 04/22/11 11:01 PM Re: Seeking comments/criticisms about my game [Re: crabstyle]
IBowlPaul1969 Offline
League Bowler

A/S/L: 41, M, Fort Wayne
Not bad, only a couple of small points: At the push away you are lifting the ball into the swing. This can cause your muscles to work a bit much and make you come around the ball too soon. Try setting up with the ball a little higher and closer to your body. Try the bottom of the ball at waist height, then push the ball out and down into the swing.
The next small thing is your slide. You are still sliding after you release the ball. You can lose some leverage on the ball if your slide doesn't stop when the ball swings past the ankle. Try a different heel and sole combo to work out what is comfortable.
A last note: Don't make too many changes at once. Make a correction and work with it for a week or three, then once your muscle memory has kicked in add another improvement. Changing too much at once can really mess up your game.
Nice bowling, keep up the good work!
Dexter SST shoes
Brunswick balls 15#

#150600 - 04/23/11 11:13 AM Re: Seeking comments/criticisms about my game [Re: crabstyle]
CoachJim Offline
USBC Silver Coach

A/S/L: Reston, Virginia USA
One thing I see, is your timing appears a touch early, in that you are still sliding as you release the ball, this is taking leverage away from your release. You are also a good 2 to 3 feet behind the foul line when the ball enters the release zone.

Your elbow is bent right after the ball comes off your hand, this is telling me that you are trying to hook the ball instead of just letting the ball do it's own thing. If you are thinking that "If I just let the ball do what it wants, then it won't do anything" then you are probably right, because your hitting up through the ball is what's putting the motion on it because you don't have a proper release technique, where you keep your wrist in a strong position and let the weight of the ball uncoil your hand through the release, you are trying to do the work yourself, this is forcing your swing past your slide and making your timing early.

To fix this you will have to entirely change your mental approach to how you bowl, you will need to unlearn many things in order to get past this. You may or may not want to go through these changes, if you are happy with what you are doing and happy with your game in general then keep on keeping on, but if you want to make these changes let me know and I will go more in depth in what you need to do, be forewarned though it will be a long process that will test you on every step.

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Bowler turns 100
by Dennis Michael - 11/19/19 05:04 PM
Our Bowling Ally is now Chuckie Cheese
by djp1080 - 11/18/19 07:59 PM
Major News in the Industry
by Mkirchie - 11/17/19 04:35 PM
Good morning everyone...
by djp1080 - 11/17/19 12:50 PM
Plastic or Urethane?
by Dennis Michael - 11/17/19 12:45 PM
What is the best ball to get?
by djp1080 - 11/10/19 09:02 PM
Which fork on the Hy-Road should I take?
by Mkirchie - 11/02/19 07:05 AM
End of Days
by BOSStull - 11/02/19 06:44 AM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2019 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.