BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#149143 - 03/27/11 12:12 AM Need help on keeping arm straight
bpage Offline
Bumper Bowler

A/S/L: Spartanburg, SC
I am having a problem on my swing that i always keep my elbow bent. I have tried to straighten my arm out but even when i try to keep it straight i still seem to bend it on the way back down. How can i fix this, are there certain drills i can do to fix this.

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#149147 - 03/27/11 11:42 AM Re: Need help on keeping arm straight [Re: bpage]
CoachJim Offline
USBC Silver Coach

A/S/L: Reston, Virginia USA
Does your arm straighten, meaning is there something medical preventing you from straightening it?

If the answer is NO, then it is in your head, what thoughts are in your head when the ball is in motion?

If you are thinking "I need to do _____ to the ball to make it hook", then this is the thought that is making your arm bend. Take that thought away and think about just rolling the ball down the lane nice and easy and see what happens. Just go through your normal approach and don't try to do anything to the ball and just roll it down the lane and let it do what ever it wants and see if your arm is straight.

#149153 - 03/27/11 01:29 PM Re: Need help on keeping arm straight [Re: bpage]
bpage Offline
Bumper Bowler

A/S/L: Spartanburg, SC
No there is not a medical problem with my arm. I will try to get it out of my head and not think about it. Thanks for the help and i will let you know how it goes. Thanks again

#149154 - 03/27/11 01:51 PM Re: Need help on keeping arm straight [Re: bpage]
Calvin Pistorio Offline
State Champion Contender

A/S/L: 32/m/maryland
This is also a tendency of bowlers that muscle the shot and control the armswing through the whole swing. Learning to let gravity swing the ball with the shoulder working as a pivot like a pendulum will do wonders. Most bowlers who bend the elbow do think they need to to this or that to make the ball hook when just keeping the wrist locked straight will allow it to hook. May not be a large hook but a big hook isn't always needed.
HS:763

#149162 - 03/27/11 05:55 PM Re: Need help on keeping arm straight [Re: Calvin Pistorio]
Rocket Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 45/male/Ohio
All the above is good advice and I am going to chime in unusual for me to give advice but I had the same issue and it seemed no matter what I did I could not get away from it.

One night I was practicing and one of the youth coaches came over and ask me if I had arm pain after I was done bowling I replied no and believe it or not I know I bend my arm but it feels totally relaxed.

He said that was good but he noticed my balance arm was all over the place and he believed that was what was causing my swing arm to bend, my balance arm was causing me to have tension in my swing arm because sub consciously it knew it had to help keep me balanced. he suggested that I keep my balance arm pointed down lane through my approach and letting my swing arm naturally force to the out position at release, bingo no more bent swing arm.

Now I am not sure if that was a bunch of whoie just to get my mind of my swing arm or what but it did work for me and if I don't point my balance arm down lane my swing arm will bend so it seems to work for me anyway.

Again just my 2 cents take it for what it worth.
Mutant Cell

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

It's never too early for a good deal!

Shop Amazon - Countdown to Black Friday

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Fall/Winter Leagues 2014-15 thread
by Calvin Pistorio - Today at 07:41 PM
My Hyroad solid was solid today
by Rocket Jr - Yesterday at 08:52 PM
Fall '14 virtual league announcements & discussion
by BOSStull - Yesterday at 04:53 PM
New Sinister Layout matching up well on 42' THS
by BOSStull - Yesterday at 09:23 AM
Brunswick Product Preview
by BOSStull - Yesterday at 08:34 AM
Do you remember the 1979 bowling movie "Dreamer"?
by VFF57 - 11/18/14 06:51 PM
Fall '14 Week 10 virtual league results
by wronghander - 11/18/14 09:11 AM
Reverse finger pitch
by Dennis Michael - 11/17/14 02:37 PM
Why deflection bowlers can annoy us!
by samdasham - 11/17/14 09:31 AM
2014 WTBA World Men's Championships
by Richie V. - 11/16/14 03:15 AM
Reactive Ball for Older Bowler
by NoThumbNoProblem - 11/14/14 06:19 PM
Sore wrist.
by Pat013 - 11/14/14 07:19 AM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2014 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.