BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#148865 - 03/20/11 01:33 PM AMF $600,000 National League Tournament Injustice
Out Of Luck Offline
Bumper Bowler

A/S/L: 31/M/CT
I recently was involved in the AMF sponsored $600,000 National In League Tournament and would like to share my experiences. Before I begin, I would just like to say that this experience has me not wanting to participate or bowl for anyAMF sponsored events EVER again and I will continue to bash AMF until the proper resolution takes place.

For those of you who are unfamiliar with this tournament, I have included the URL so you may take your time to understand what it is and the situation that I was thrust into.

http://tournament.amf.com/Pages/Rules.aspx

I have been dreaming about going to Vegas ever since this tournament was announced and I looked very forward to displaying my skills and trying to advance to the ultimate goal which would have been an all-expense paid trip to Las Vegas and bowl in the Finals which take place next month in April. I bowled out of my center every week and paid money out of my pocket to ensure that I would make it to the next round. I made it to the Center FInals and achieved the next step which brought me to bowl in the District Finals in White Plains, NY. A week before the actual District Finals would begin, I went to the AMF Bowling Center in White Plains and had 3 practice games. I was placed on Lane 55 and 56 and I instantly became aware of an issue with the lanes, in which, I had to repeatedly call over one of the workers to assist me with issues with the lane. I thought nothing of it and just pondered to myself that I hope this issue is resolved by next week.

The following week on the day of the District Finals, I was excited to be a part of the tournament and prepared myself as best as I could. I was introduced to my lanes which just happened to be lanes 55 and 56. I had my headphones on and was in total "bowl" mode and tried to familiarize myself with the competition. I had six other bowlers in my lanes and we all were competing for that one ultimate goal. As we began our 10 minute practice period, some of the bowlers noticed issues with the lane immediately. Our " Lane Manager" was informed numerous times about issues on the lanes even before the competition began but no action was taken. We all had to bowl 4 games. After the first game and not even into the 3rd frame of the second game, I noticed one of the bowlers sitting on his seat and refuses to bowl any further and was protesting the game. The issues that were happening with our lanes were : pins missing, pins dropping on placement, after first ball, pins were reset and scores would go away, when a ball was thrown down the lane, the gate would come down prior to the ball touching any pins and possibly damaging the ball or lane even further. It had come to a point where a technician was "supposedly" watching our for problems but unfortunately for us, it kept on happening. It even came to the point where pins were being hand placed and we were delayed in our bowling game. Our "Lane Manager" was informed about issues over 30 times the entire event and one would think that we should have been moved to a breakdown lane but we were forced to stay and bowl in that lane and endure the misery of having to witness these happenings and not being able to do anything about it. The "Lane Manager" informed the District Manager who informed him to make sure we just bowl and deal with it. When that guy protested his game, he was informed that if he did not finish, he would be disqualified from the competition. I bowled well over my average and you can view my name here in this URL in Division C 8th Place.

http://tournament.amf.com/Pages/Scores.aspx?divisionId=4&eventPhaseId=3&orgId=530

Unfortunately, those who placed in 17th, 28th, 37th,40th, and 44th were bowling in the same lanes and did not do as well and were VERY dissatisfied with the events that were happening. We stayed after we bowled and demanded to talk to the Manager in charge of this event for clarification and we were informed to wait and that would come talk to us. Meanwhile, as we were waiting upstairs, the winners were being announced and that was more of a slap to the face to us. After the winners were announced, all 9 managers (Center Managers and District Managers) came upstairs and basically explained to to us that, YES, we know you guys were having problems, but unfortunately, there is nothing we can do, have a nice day. Mind you, while they were speaking to us, the technician was under the pin drop mechanism fixing it!!!!!!I instantly became enraged and lost my cool and started giving them a piece of my mind. I pulled myself to the side and the Center Manager from my town came over and spoke to me with ultimate sincerity and tried to explain to me that there was nothing that they could have done. I felt robbed, I felt cheated, I felt disgraced, and I felt for the others who travelled across states to be here and expensed hotels and food and took the day off of work.

After it became evident that nothing was going to come out of this disgrace of a tournament, I dropped my bag in front of the Managers and vowed to never bowl again. How can i bowl again for anything after experiencing this travesty. Luckily, the only good thing that happened, was that my Center Manager picked up my bag, and eventually returned it to me.

I began looking for the people responsible for the tournament and wanted this issue to be heard. I finally got in contact with the Tournament Director (Kathy Hart), only after i send a letter to AMF.com and the outcome I received was a bigger joke than what happened in White Plains. Here I was, thinking that the Director would have some type of resolution that would be satifying but instead, I got this :
Quote:

Sorry, we all came to the agreement that there were issues with Lanes 55 and 56 but we are working to make things right for the future and we welcome your concerns, and it's unfortunate that this happened but there was nothing that could have been done

Am i supposed to be satisfied with this? Am i supposed to be grateful that I got a phone call from the Director of the Tournament. Now I want to to talk with Fred Kipp, the CEO of AMF and I want him to justify what happened to all of us and resolve this issue. If any of you guys or gals have any suggestions, please let me know because I will not let this issue be swept under the rug!

Thank You for allowing me to share my story,

Luis Delgado

Edited by Out Of Luck (03/20/11 01:47 PM)

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#148867 - 03/20/11 01:47 PM Re: AMF $600,000 National In League Tournament Injusti [Re: Out Of Luck]
dinger429 Offline
Junior

A/S/L: 20/Male/Chicago
You should demand a refund for all the money you spent on the tournament. I doubt they would refund traveling expenses, but at least all the fees you paid each week.

#148869 - 03/20/11 01:53 PM Re: AMF $600,000 National In League Tournament Injusti [Re: Out Of Luck]
spillup24 Offline
High Roller

A/S/L: Philadelphia, PA
And how would you like him to resolve the issue? What would make you happy?

#148870 - 03/20/11 02:05 PM Re: AMF $600,000 National League Tournament Injustice [Re: Out Of Luck]
Out Of Luck Offline
Bumper Bowler

7. AMF may satisfy its obligation to a Bowler with respect to any claim or dispute relating to the Tournament, including the termination of the Tournament in whole or in part or a Bowlers participation or AMFs conduct of the Tournament or the conduct or actions of any other Bowlers in the Tournament or the decision or action taken by AMF or any Tournament Official, by refunding the entry fee to a Bowler.

#148871 - 03/20/11 02:10 PM Re: AMF $600,000 National League Tournament Injustice [Re: Out Of Luck]
Out Of Luck Offline
Bumper Bowler

13. A Bowler who has a dispute related to the Tournament must notify (A) a Tournament Official, if one is present at the AMF center, and if not, the GM and also (B) AMF by calling 1-800-DIAL-AMF within 24 hours from the time the dispute happens. The Bowler must tell the GM, if present, and leave a message 1-800-DIAL-AMF explaining in detail the nature of the dispute and his or her contact information for return communication. The National Tournament Director, Kathy Hart, will review the dispute and notify the Bowler of her decision within two (2) business days after she receives the message from 1-800-DIAL-AMF. A decision of the Tournament Director is final and not subject to appeal.

#148872 - 03/20/11 02:12 PM Re: AMF $600,000 National League Tournament Injustice [Re: Out Of Luck]
spillup24 Offline
High Roller

A/S/L: Philadelphia, PA
What did you want them to do for you during the tournament? Doesn't look like you could've moved anywhere. Seems like the lanes were full. I am confused on what youh think they should've done during the tournament. It sucks that the lanes were a bit messed up but it also sounds like a lot of sour grapes on your end. Either way the ball is in your hand and you still had to knock down 10 pins.

#148874 - 03/20/11 02:13 PM Re: AMF $600,000 National In League Tournament Injusti [Re: Out Of Luck]
metguy Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 46/m/waverly iowa
Unfortunately, this does happen.
Big tournaments SHOULD have more than one breakdown pair available. Sounds like they didn't want to give it up for the issues you were experiencing.
Realisticly, nothing will come of it other than recognizing the significants of a strong mental focus.

This season: HG-289 HS-685
Career #'s : HG-299 HS-782

Arsonal: Heat (Pearl), 2Fast, Blue Hammer, Raptor P7, Fire Road

TRANSITIONING TO MOTIV EQUIPMENT
(CCWBRA)

#148875 - 03/20/11 02:16 PM Re: AMF $600,000 National In League Tournament Injusti [Re: Out Of Luck]
Atochabsh Offline
USBC Bronze Coach

A/S/L: 50/F/California
I hate to say it, but that is typical AMF management.

Was there a breakdown pair available?

I would think that the only thing you can do now is for the entire group of you that bowled on that pair, write a letter, present bills and send them to AMF. You can also write to the hosting center in Las Vegas and tell them how poorly the tournament was run and that you hope nothing this bad gets associated with their center in Las Vegas due to this tournament. Tell the Las Vegas center how much you wanted to visit their fascility and participate had you had a fair chance at competing.

I did not once participate in this tournament. I knew it would be near impossible. I would be in the top division (200+) and after the first week, the score to beat in my division was 189 pins over average. COME ON!!!!! I've been known to waste $3 on many things, but it wasn't going to be this tournament. The open division of 200+ included at least 30 bowlers averaging over 225 and about 4 that were over 230. While the other divisions were no more then a 19 pin spread, the open division was nearly 40 pin spread. Knowing I had to bowl a 790+ scratch to be competative, not gunna do it.

Erin

#148878 - 03/20/11 02:22 PM Re: AMF $600,000 National League Tournament Injustice [Re: spillup24]
Out Of Luck Offline
Bumper Bowler

I'm just sharing my story to anyone who listens. I am posting this to every bowling forum possible. I had a problem and it was swept under the rug. On Facebook, AMF lanes has a web page and I posted this there and they deleted it. i asked for the addresses for the CEO, tournament director, and district manager, so I can send out letters and have not received a response Everyday I will continue to find a new way of sharing this story and I have all the other bowlers name and phone numbers and if I need to further pursue this issue then I am prepared to do so. It's not about me anymore, it's as THEY told me, "to ensure a fair, competitive, tournament for OUR FUTURE!!!!

#148880 - 03/20/11 02:29 PM Re: AMF $600,000 National In League Tournament Injusti [Re: Atochabsh]
Out Of Luck Offline
Bumper Bowler

No breakdown lanes, just a great workout to find our lane manager every 5 minutes though.

I contacted AMF and asked for addresses of CEO, Tournament Director, and District Manager, to send out letters and have not heard back yet....

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Bowler turns 100
by Dennis Michael - Yesterday at 05:04 PM
Our Bowling Ally is now Chuckie Cheese
by djp1080 - 11/18/19 07:59 PM
Major News in the Industry
by Mkirchie - 11/17/19 04:35 PM
Good morning everyone...
by djp1080 - 11/17/19 12:50 PM
Plastic or Urethane?
by Dennis Michael - 11/17/19 12:45 PM
What is the best ball to get?
by djp1080 - 11/10/19 09:02 PM
Which fork on the Hy-Road should I take?
by Mkirchie - 11/02/19 07:05 AM
End of Days
by BOSStull - 11/02/19 06:44 AM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2019 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.