BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#148141 - 03/10/11 12:31 AM Been a while, but I've returned.. for more help!
Zergling128 Offline
League Bowler

A/S/L: 21/m/ct
Alright.. So I actually have a really [censored] video of me I took last week, well my friend took it on my iPod. Quality isnt TOO bad if you make it full screen, mp4's seem to preserve alot of the quality of the vid. anyways, on sunday ill use a real camera.

but what can you make of this? any discrepancies?

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#148149 - 03/10/11 01:05 AM Re: Been a while, but I've returned.. for more help! [Re: Zergling128]
B-Hammer Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 30/M/Bellingham WA
Your push away is a step late, try bending less with your back and more with your knees for better leverage, hand turns early.

#148150 - 03/10/11 01:08 AM Re: Been a while, but I've returned.. for more help! [Re: Zergling128]
Lizard75 Offline
Bracket Donor

A/S/L: 39/m/Oconomowoc, WI
Your timing is a little off, you should be releasing the ball at your left ankle as your stepping on to it, in your vid slo-mo your slide foot is already stopped and planted then your swing comes through. And your not keeping your hand under the ball, you start off correct in your stance, but once you start your back swing you break your wrist and it never comes back under the ball.

High Game-300
High Series-721

15# Hammer Spike
15# Storm Polar Ice
15# Brunswick Copperhead
15# Dynothane AU-79
15# Columbia Freeze

#148151 - 03/10/11 01:08 AM Re: Been a while, but I've returned.. for more help! [Re: Zergling128]
hi_there Offline
League Bowler

A/S/L: 24/M/Montana
I think you might be bent too far forward to begin with. Usually, coaches seem to advocate a slight bend of the knees and a few degrees forward lean toward the lane when setting up on the approach. You also start the ball a step late; the ball should be pushed out at the same time that you take the first step in a four step approach rather than at the second step like you are currently doing. You are also probably muscling the ball because of that late timing and it is causing you to cut off the backswing. I think straightining up and getting the timing of the push-away right will help you a lot. I'm sure others will be able to give more insight and hopefully correct me if I am off on my analysis. Good luck!
Black Widow Pearl 15 lbs
Roto Grip Cell 15 lbs
Hammer Blue Vibe 15 lbs
Hammer Razyr 15 lbs
plastic spare ball 15 lbs

#148166 - 03/10/11 08:37 AM Re: Been a while, but I've returned.. for more help! [Re: Zergling128]
Zergling128 Offline
League Bowler

Ah, I see. Yeah i agree my pushaway a little late, it used to be REAL late. I also noticed I have a slight problem where I travel to the right while im walking, and it accounts for quite a few gutters and me scratching my head.

My knees are actually bent alot.. at least I think they are, when I get my tripod in there behind me my knees are really bent, I think if I go any further ill start walking like a penguin.

Being a little more bent over seems to help me prevent the really bad swingout I used to have. But I'll try to straighten up again.

Yeah my release still needs work. Keeping my thumb at 7 during my swing makes me feel very awkward, as I begin my pushaway I guess I subconsciously let it break to something more comfortable. I actually havent watched myself bowl in months so I never noticed what that looked like. It feels like i had a strong wrist cup but apparently not.

#148179 - 03/10/11 11:47 AM Re: Been a while, but I've returned.. for more help! [Re: Zergling128]
B-Hammer Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 30/M/Bellingham WA
Originally Posted By: Zergling128
Ah, I see. Yeah i agree my pushaway a little late, it used to be REAL late. I also noticed I have a slight problem where I travel to the right while im walking, and it accounts for quite a few gutters and me scratching my head.

My knees are actually bent alot.. at least I think they are, when I get my tripod in there behind me my knees are really bent, I think if I go any further ill start walking like a penguin.

Being a little more bent over seems to help me prevent the really bad swingout I used to have. But I'll try to straighten up again.

Yeah my release still needs work. Keeping my thumb at 7 during my swing makes me feel very awkward, as I begin my pushaway I guess I subconsciously let it break to something more comfortable. I actually havent watched myself bowl in months so I never noticed what that looked like. It feels like i had a strong wrist cup but apparently not.

You don't have to walk to the line like a penguin, walk with a slight back bend, but then push into a slide where they knee will bend.

Not understanding the thumb at 7, where are you visualizing the clock? Floor, back wall, on the ball, etc?

Watch Steph Nation regarding the back and knee bend, if you can get into that same position you'll be in a good place.

#148196 - 03/10/11 05:18 PM Re: Been a while, but I've returned.. for more help! [Re: B-Hammer]
Zergling128 Offline
League Bowler

Whoops! I meant the thumb at 2, not at 7, haha. And my fingers at 6 or 7 puts my hand in a uncomfortable position.

OH, Thats what you meant about the knee bend. Thats a great vid too, thanks : ). Ill practice that

#148372 - 03/13/11 04:34 PM Re: Been a while, but I've returned.. for more help! [Re: Zergling128]
Zergling128 Offline
League Bowler

Alright, I tried to bend less at the waist and more at the knees,I felt like I was doing it, but it still looks the same.

Though I did alot better today than I did last week, i was a little more upright and my shots were way more consistent.

But getting that knee bend in the slide makes me feel like im going to fall, my foot slips to the left as I slide, and i end up hopping to avoid a fall. I must be not balanced.

Heres the better vids.

#148412 - 03/14/11 03:20 AM Re: Been a while, but I've returned.. for more help! [Re: Zergling128]
hi_there Offline
League Bowler

A/S/L: 24/M/Montana
Take all I say with a grain of salt because I'm not a coach, but what do you think about your foot placement when trying to post the shot? I believe there are several articles that say to either slide with the toe pointed straight or actually pointed out to the left and your heel in toward the center of the body. I think this allows one to be more stable at the foul line and promotes better knee bend which might help you somewhat with your hopping problem.

Also, it's hard to see without a side view, but I think you are still starting the ball a bit late. I personally struggle with this as well, but I think if you can concentrate on that aspect, it will help your game.

I think you looked better in setting up, like you mentioned. Not as much waist bend. Hope others will correct me if I've misstated anything. Good luck.

Black Widow Pearl 15 lbs
Roto Grip Cell 15 lbs
Hammer Blue Vibe 15 lbs
Hammer Razyr 15 lbs
plastic spare ball 15 lbs

#148424 - 03/14/11 10:08 AM Re: Been a while, but I've returned.. for more help! [Re: Zergling128]
Zergling128 Offline
League Bowler

I agree, I did also read that the heel should be turned inward. Everytime my toe points to the right, i slip, or the ball just goes in the gutter, it actually hurts my armswing too, I throw way right when that happens. It also might be because you can see I actually travel to the right when I walk, instead of walking straight. I know I'm supposed to do something similar to walking the tightrope, I read a ton of slowinskis articles. When my toe is straight, I'm balanced. I'm also balanced when I'm drunk but thats a different story. Hahaha

Yeah, the few times I was able to start the ball at the right time, made everything alot smoother, felt kind of strange though, as changing any bad habit would. Next sunday I'll bring my tripod, I had my little brother recording, trying to teach him how to bowl too since he wants to be on the bowling team in his highschool. He has a long way to go.. lol

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
I'll try again
by BOSStull - 42 minutes 14 seconds ago
what will become of AMF
by BOSStull - Today at 09:41 AM
no one on for 5 days
by steveA - Yesterday at 04:31 PM
Summer Leagues 2018 thread
by 6_ball_man - 06/17/18 06:08 AM
For the good of the sport?
by BOSStull - 06/16/18 06:39 PM
2018 USBC Open Championships Syracuse NY
by wronghander - 05/27/18 05:03 PM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2018 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.