BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#14830 - 01/15/06 08:57 PM Relatively new bowler
Reconbbs Offline
Pro of the Year Contender

A/S/L: 21/Male/York Pennsylvania
Well Just recently ive gotten more seriously into bowling. I bowl every week in a league with my friends. I just got my own shoes and im in the process of getting a new ball. The problem is im not sure what to do. Im 16 and I use a 14 lb ebonite 300 series. I like the ball alot but I want a new one. Back to the ball issue, I plan to learn to hook the ball the correct way but im happy with bowling straight. I average 140 and my highest is 190. Id like a ball that would be good for bowling straight and hooking a little bit. Thanks for all the help!

Hammer Black Widow Bite
DV8 Misfit
DV8 Reckless
Visionary AMB Centaur

High Game-300x2
High Series-836

Fall League Averages
Tuesday 234
Thursday 225

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#14831 - 01/16/06 01:30 AM Re: Relatively new bowler
Atochabsh Offline
USBC Bronze Coach

A/S/L: 50/F/California
Maybe the Fire or Ice. If you want to step up from there go to the Over Time, Big Time. If you want to go up from there, to to the Xcel line, the XXCel is a good choice. The V2 line is also a good choice. Slow ball speed, get the pearl V2 Sweet, higher ball speed get a V2 Power or V2 Strong.

Erin

#14832 - 01/16/06 08:22 PM Re: Relatively new bowler
Just call me Al Offline
High Roller

A/S/L: 63/M/ Long Island, NY - right ...
If you can, go to a 15#, better carry then with a 14#.

#14833 - 01/17/06 05:11 PM Re: Relatively new bowler
Reconbbs Offline

Well they definately look good but, what would a cheaper auternative be? $100 is a bit too much for me. Could you suggest something a bit cheaper like $70 or under undrilled. Would this be decent? Brunswick Groove Reactive. Also would the fact that its hook rating is high affect me while im bowling straight?

Hammer Black Widow Bite
DV8 Misfit
DV8 Reckless
Visionary AMB Centaur

High Game-300x2
High Series-836

Fall League Averages
Tuesday 234
Thursday 225

#14834 - 01/17/06 05:21 PM Re: Relatively new bowler
Lefty Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 37 / M / Rochester, NY
The power groove or any other ball in that class is about the same. None of them hook a lot and they are considered entry level balls.

If that's what you're looking to spend, all the options are about the same..

#14835 - 01/17/06 06:07 PM Re: Relatively new bowler
Reconbbs Offline

sounds good to me thanks for the help.

Hammer Black Widow Bite
DV8 Misfit
DV8 Reckless
Visionary AMB Centaur

High Game-300x2
High Series-836

Fall League Averages
Tuesday 234
Thursday 225

#14836 - 01/17/06 07:07 PM Re: Relatively new bowler
jpruett2002 Offline
League Bowler

A/S/L: 33/m/north ga
I think you should go to your local Pro Shop, tell them what you have, what you want, and how much you want to spend and let them give you advice from there. Most good pro shops, at least were I bowl at because I've overheard them making ball suggestions, will look at your old ball and how your grip is. After that they can determine what ball will do what you want for the money or if you just need to make adjustments. Believe it or not, I have seen my Pro Shop guy teach his way out of a new ball sale just by helping with technique, or just making drilling adjustments.
Hope I didn't overload you with info. Good Luck and high rolling!!!! thumbsup

#14837 - 01/17/06 07:30 PM Re: Relatively new bowler
Reconbbs Offline

I have my own ball now. Its a alley ball that they sold to me. The reason I got it was that it was only $4. Its not drilled just for me. I might consider going to the Pro Shop and asking them for help. If they find a ball for me ill just get it off the internet. One quick question. Since I throw straight would a ball made for curve sqrew me up? Should I just grab a plastic spare ball. From what I hear Plastic spare balls dont have as much power as reactive balls. Is this true? Also would my speed change which ball I should go for? My average speed is probably around 26 mph.

Hammer Black Widow Bite
DV8 Misfit
DV8 Reckless
Visionary AMB Centaur

High Game-300x2
High Series-836

Fall League Averages
Tuesday 234
Thursday 225

#14838 - 01/19/06 07:49 PM Re: Relatively new bowler
Reconbbs Offline

Just for an update I decided to go with a brunswick power groove reactive ball. Will be recieving it shortly!

Hammer Black Widow Bite
DV8 Misfit
DV8 Reckless
Visionary AMB Centaur

High Game-300x2
High Series-836

Fall League Averages
Tuesday 234
Thursday 225

#14839 - 01/20/06 07:53 AM Re: Relatively new bowler
Lefty Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 37 / M / Rochester, NY
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="VERDANA,ARIAL,HELVETICA,TAHOMA">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="VERDANA,ARIAL,HELVETICA,TAHOMA">
My average speed is probably around 26 mph.
</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="VERDANA,ARIAL,HELVETICA,TAHOMA">Are you sure about that? That's insanely fast. You're going to have a hard time making anything hook with that type of speed.

Also, did you talk with a Pro Shop about what they're going to charge you to drill the ball if you didn't buy it there? The prices at pro shops usually include drilling. A lot of places will charge $50 or more if you bring in a ball purchaced elsewhere. Just don't be suprised...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Fall/Winter 2018-19 Leagues Thread
by Fin09 - 12/14/18 11:31 AM
New Pro Shop Near My House
by Mkirchie - 11/26/18 05:05 PM
Trying to keep my throw straight
by spr3wr - 11/24/18 08:49 PM
Happy Thanksgiving to all
by djp1080 - 11/22/18 10:49 AM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2018 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.