BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#148354 - 03/13/11 01:01 PM BUYING A NEW BALL?
metguy Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 46/m/waverly iowa
For years i thought buying the latest "Big bender" ball was the answer to improving my hook and improving my score. And i did, until (one day when i was practicing) these 3-4 kids started bowling on the next pair over from me with house balls. We've all seen these kids, throwing them 8 pounders off the rack. I suddenly came to a realization that those kids (with them house balls) were out-hooking my $230 stuff. At first i thought how can this be. Then it hit me. ANY ball will hook if thrown properly. These kids were PALMING the ball to get that plastic to hook. You hear about technique and fundamentals but most of us shrug that off as obvious. Not so fast, we may not know as much as we think sometimes and going back to the basics isn't something to be discarded as a waste of time. So, next time you're struggling to carry, getting to the breakpoint consistantly, or even getting your ball to finish, you may want to take a long look at what your doing and with what (depending on how the ball is drilled and the general charactoristics of the ball) you are trying to do it with. A new ball isn't always the answer.

This season: HG-289 HS-685
Career #'s : HG-299 HS-782

Arsonal: Heat (Pearl), 2Fast, Blue Hammer, Raptor P7, Fire Road

TRANSITIONING TO MOTIV EQUIPMENT
(CCWBRA)

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#148357 - 03/13/11 01:19 PM Re: BUYING A NEW BALL? [Re: metguy]
spillup24 Offline
High Roller

A/S/L: Philadelphia, PA
A new ball does help. It is easier having a strong ball to use early in the night and letting the ball do the work rather than having a weaker ball and having to put more on it to make it hook.

You might be able to make any ball hook, but not every ball you make hook will carry.

#148360 - 03/13/11 02:03 PM Re: BUYING A NEW BALL? [Re: spillup24]
metguy Offline
Legend

Hooking and Carrying are two different issues. Its true though that a new ball can help if your equipment is a bit passive. There will be times ALL balls will struggle carrying the corners but thats when your experience in making the right adjustments come into play. I try not to confuse hook strength with carry.

(CCWBRA)

#148362 - 03/13/11 02:31 PM Re: BUYING A NEW BALL? [Re: metguy]
Lizard75 Offline
Bracket Donor

A/S/L: 39/m/Oconomowoc, WI
Originally Posted By: metguy
For years i thought buying the latest "Big bender" ball was the answer to improving my hook and improving my score.

Throwing the biggest hook means nothing(ie....Walter Ray Williams, Norm Duke). The kids palm the 8 pounders because it looks cool not because it works. I can hook a plastic but why would I when there are stronger covers to chose from that take far less effort

High Game-300
High Series-721

15# Hammer Spike
15# Storm Polar Ice
15# Brunswick Copperhead
15# Dynothane AU-79
15# Columbia Freeze

#148365 - 03/13/11 03:15 PM Re: BUYING A NEW BALL? [Re: Lizard75]
metguy Offline
Legend

Very true, i agree 100% but you may be missing the point. These kids were achieving an entry angle they shouldn't be able to with a plastic ball through simply altering their hand position. This example may be extreme but its the best way to visualize how changing hand positions alter ball reaction. I was once told "I'll take cash over flash everytime", and thats right but you have to be able to get to the breakpoint while holding your entry angle and knowing how to alter your hand positions to achieve that is a huge plus. If your hand is in a nuetral position you can get a stronger reaction by going to a stronger position without needing to buy a new ball.

(CCWBRA)

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Quitting my League
by BOSStull - 05/25/20 06:01 AM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2020 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.