BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#148228 - 03/11/11 09:11 AM Need help
PetyaSol Offline
League Bowler

A/S/L: 23 Male Russia
Okay, I'm a new bowler from Russia, just got my first reactive resin ball in january (Rapid fire pearl) drilled it 4x4x3. I'm really struggling with my technique right now. I'm changing aprroach ,speed, release, but I'm still absolutely unhappy with my consistency and style, especially that elbow. There will be nights when I'm shooting 200 + avrg , and then there will be 130 avrg the other night. So this video i shot last night, and it was horrible, lanes went dry super fast, and I wasn't able to play my Anarchy, which I just got last sunday. Almost every shot was over/under. I need you guys to help me out.
I also need an advice what should I do if the ball on a fresh THS 40 feet won't hook? I'm also thinking about getting a solid ball , but not sure to go agressive with Invasion or get Reign of Fire or even Sure Fire. I will ad pics of layouts in a while.
And sorry for that banner in the center, will get another video editor asap.

Storm Victory Road Solid 15
Roto Grip Critical Theory 15
Storm Vg Nano 15
Storm Anarchy 15
Storm Hy-Road 15
Storm Rapid Fire Pearl 14 (retired)
Ebonite Maxim 14 (retired)

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#148240 - 03/11/11 11:24 AM Re: Need help [Re: PetyaSol]
B-Hammer Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 30/M/Bellingham WA
Your swing is very muscled and powered by a bent elbow. The bent elbow is going to make you really inconsistent as that is a really hard body part to have it behave the same every throw, especially when it's generating most of the power.

See if you can push out to a straight arm or have the arm straighten as it's going back. Ideally your not forcing the arm straight but letting momentum straighten it out freely.

You will lose some revolutions and hooking power initially, but as you learn a proper release it'll come back.

Regarding the oil, try moving in the direction of your miss with your feet and to a lesser extent your target. If the ball isn't hooking enough move right in increments of a couple boards with your feet and maybe one board with your target, if it's hooking too much move left in the same increments.

#148244 - 03/11/11 12:17 PM Re: Need help [Re: B-Hammer]
PetyaSol Offline
League Bowler

So I'm kinda pushing the ball with my hand, instead of doing a pendulum swing.Thats what I'm struggling with most, I will make another video tomorrow it will be much lighter, and I hope to get my swing straightened.
Here are my layouts, what can you say about them , since I don't really trust my driller.

https://picasaweb.google.com/117979942658664275804/BigBowlz?locked=true#5582871975507156450

Edited by PetyaSol (03/11/11 12:18 PM)
Storm Vg Nano 15
Storm Anarchy 15
Storm Hy-Road 15

#148248 - 03/11/11 01:09 PM Re: Need help [Re: PetyaSol]
B-Hammer Offline
Legend

The link doesn't work says no albums found.

In general couldn't really say much anyways without knowing all your specs, but as a newer bowler your specs will change so at this point the more important thing is how the ball fits your hand. You want the thumb to be snug and you want your fingers to be able to sit in the ball so that when your hand is relaxed the nails don't press on the hole. It's normal to have a small gap between your hand and the ball. If your hand has to stretch when in the ball that isn't good.

#148251 - 03/11/11 03:08 PM Re: Need help [Re: PetyaSol]
spillup24 Offline
High Roller

A/S/L: Philadelphia, PA
In regards to the question about a ball on a fresh THS 40 ft pattern....If you cannot get your Storm Anarchy to move on that than another ball will not make much of a difference. The Anarchy is a very aggressive ball and should not have any issues moving on that pattern. Fix your game instead of getting another ball....That is my opinion on that.

#148257 - 03/11/11 05:27 PM Re: Need help [Re: PetyaSol]
TheDemolitionMan Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 23/Male/California, US
Some things stood out to me. The most obvious is as it was mentioned, your swing is very muscled. I think that is compounded by a few things. Your span and pitches may be a little tweaked. It's hard for newer bowlers to get used to the pitches they have. Most get their ball drilled without having a fitted thumbhole ever so when their thumb swells they open the thumbhole. Then thumbhole gets too big and the ball starts to come off early and hello Death Grip. If you don't trust your driller than find a new driller. Make sure they have all the right certifications and if possible use the Dual-Angle techniques. Basically, if the ball doesn't fit right, you're doing yourself more harm than good. I don't care what anybody says, bowling is a feel sport. If the balls doesn't feel right you shouldn't be rolling it.

Your swing also is so muscled because you are charging the line as well. Where's the fire mate? Rhino Page doesn't even get to the line that fast and he got his nickname for charging the line. nut You may want to slow down a bit and work on getting your feet and swing more on the same page so that you can straighten out that elbow and get a more solid and stable finish position. You may even want to consider a 5 or 6 step approach if you like the current speed of your footwork. That way you can start the ball a little earlier and keep everything in time.

Additionally, you'll have to doe some work on your release because it looks to me that you are coming over the top of the ball a bit. It creates a lot of side rotation and a late break however, that could be the culprit for why you can't get your ball to hook. You're losing a majority of your leverage and the ball isn't reading and reacting right because of it. Ideally, you want to stay behind the ball with a cupped and/or cocked wrist and on the downswing start to work the inside of the ball and get the thumb out of your ball as it passes your ankle on your slide foot and torque it with your fingers the rest of the way.

Next, this is kind of a two in one thing. Work on getting low with your legs. You don't have a ton of knee bend in your slide. Additionally, you pop up at the line. Getting low with your legs instead of bending over at the waist (which isn't bad mind you, a little bend at the waist is fine), will generate more power, leverage and momentum that can more easily be transferred to the ball. As an added bonus, it will dramatically improve your finish position which will also help your accuracy, timing and release. Also if you keep your head in the same plane while moving towards the line it is far easier to hit your mark than not. Less involutary adjusting for the brain and body to do. It's a bit tough to do sometimes but like all things it takes practice.

Last but not least, your arms. Personally, I don't like seeing the swing arm over in front of the body. It makes it far too easy for the pushaway to stray out to the right or left, which pushes the ball out of its swing plane/slot (which leads to inconsistencies and muscling to try and correct it). I'd say bring your swing arm over a touch so that your arm is in line with itself and then line up with that arm (shoulder to ball) with your target line and have a go. Next, try to get as much weight of the ball in your non-swing arm. It'll reduce the tension in your swing arm which can only help. Less muscle=more accuracy, less fatigue, less inconsistencies in your approach in more cases than not. And use that balance arm. Don't throw it out there limpy, use that sucker to counter the swing motion. It's a very important part of the swing, like the trail leg, that gets overlooked as frivolous. I'm not saying they're bad but it could help to use them a little more.

Now to finish, like a new bowler with a new ball, you get new ball syndrome and have to have an arsenal of the best balls as soon as possible. DON'T DO THAT WITH FIXING OR IMPROVING YOUR SWING. Unless you're a prodigy, it is very hard to work in new techniques or work out bad habits quickly. Usually they have to be done one at a time on a consistent basis. Some of them you can or have to do together, like the footwork and swing syncing, but again it takes practice practice practice. So first make sure your fit is alright and if need be learn how to tape up your fingers, and thumb to create the right feel for you if you don't already. You wouldn't believe how many bowlers are held back by an ill-fitted ball (one talking to you right now, need my spans adjusted a touch). And then proceed through the rest of the list as you see fit, and perhaps enlist the help of a coach. Experience and an extra set of eyes never hurt anyone.

Hope this helps,

The Demolition Man

Also you want to try and shot a video when it's lighter at the alley and with a couple shots from behind and a few from your swing side.
Be like water making its way through cracks. Don't be assertive, but adjust to the object, and you shall find a way around or through it. If nothing within you stays rigid, outward things will disclose themselves.

#148294 - 03/12/11 12:40 PM Re: Need help [Re: PetyaSol]
PetyaSol Offline
League Bowler

Wow TheDemolitionman, that took some time to read,there's only one driller in my city, will travel to another city next weekend and talk with another one certified by Brunswick.Definetly will ask him about the Dual-angle layouts.
I take back my words about the ball not hooking, probably that was the way they oiled the lane that day. Played on a fresh THS today and it was hooking just the way a wanted, and at the end even my Rapid Fire was to much. A lot of info to consume for me right now.
Worked on straightening my elbow and it seems to work. Changed my Finger posistions, cause I guess the way I was holding it before was totally wrong(I will put pinky away, and bring point finger close to the holes)and now it the other way. Played a lot of 180+ games and made 627 series with 234(7-bagger followed by the gutter ball LOL), 212 and 181(missed single pin in the 10th). Watched a video of me today, seems to be better, but don't like my final stance (small bend) and saw some bringing the ball behind my back.
Here is a new link for Layouts

And the link for todays video

Storm Vg Nano 15
Storm Anarchy 15
Storm Hy-Road 15

#148300 - 03/12/11 02:12 PM Re: Need help [Re: PetyaSol]
TheDemolitionMan Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 23/Male/California, US
Well those are just the things that kinda stood out to me. And I wanted to give you enough detail on how to fix things as well as warn against trying to do them all at once.

Yeah that finger position you were using is to help the ball go straighter and not hook as much. It's a very good finger position for spare shots. That sounds like it was the culprit there.

What I forgot to mention was that there are two websites that a lot of us frequent on here that can help out your game. Coach Ron Clifton's site: bowl4fun.com and Coach Joe Slowinski's website: bowlingknowledge.info. Both are very informative and introduce you to a ton of things and explain them very well.
Be like water making its way through cracks. Don't be assertive, but adjust to the object, and you shall find a way around or through it. If nothing within you stays rigid, outward things will disclose themselves.

#148301 - 03/12/11 02:20 PM Re: Need help [Re: PetyaSol]
B-Hammer Offline
Legend

Leaps and bounds better, nice work. Hand turns a little early, and ball does appear to get behind your back, but the arm looks much better.

#148419 - 03/14/11 08:12 AM Re: Need help [Re: PetyaSol]
PetyaSol Offline
League Bowler

Took part in a tournament this sunday, took 7th place, pretty good for a first timer. Still pretty inconsistent and I was pretty nervous and muscled. Oil was pretty heavy and if I miss right, the ball didn't have a chance to return. I decided to play it down and in ,throwing it straight on a secon arrow , the ball went nicely in the pocket, and after same three shots I got three 10 pins. So I seem to have carry issue, which is not an issue when the lane is a little dryer, after about 4-5 games. So I thinking about getting a ball that will be great for going straight, with a nice hook and carry. Sure Fire,Reign of Fire or Special Agent ? Also want to try a solid ball. Going straight will definitely help my consistency on that tournament. And what can you advice on the lay out?
More videos are coming.
Storm Vg Nano 15
Storm Anarchy 15
Storm Hy-Road 15

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Quitting my League
by BOSStull - 05/25/20 06:01 AM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2020 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.