BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#148189 - 03/10/11 03:11 PM Re: Plastic ball with full weight block? [Re: dinger429]
Fin09 Offline
Hall of Famer Contender

A/S/L: 47/M/Virginia Beach, VA
If you can get your hands on an old Ebonite Clear Wolf or Clear Werewolf, those were clear plastic balls with full, asymmetrical weight blocks. Good luck finding one, though, as I believe they're about 15 years old now. They revved up like their resin counterparts, but they just didn't hook nearly as much.

Bowl up a Storm!

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#148190 - 03/10/11 03:23 PM Re: Plastic ball with full weight block? [Re: B-Hammer]
dinger429 Offline
Junior

A/S/L: 20/Male/Chicago
Originally Posted By: B-Hammer
Adjustments are like adjusting axis rotation, tilt, revs, etc. Where cradling the ball into the forearm (like most no-thumbers do) doesn't allow you to make those kinds of changes very easily.

The Avalanche Urethane isn't a pearl, it's polished OOB but that doesn't make it a pearl. Pearl balls have a different substance added to the cover stock that changes the way they grip the lanes.

Would the Natural Pearl be much different? Hard to say, probably not a huge difference, but with what your looking for there just isn't much out there.

Belmonte throws his clear plastic white storm ball a lot and just relies on his ability to over power the lanes, the ball looks like it has a core but according to storm it does not, so it'll be about the same as your white dot. Plastic balls can have their surfaces adjusted so you could try altering the surface of your white dot to use like you want.

I don't bowl like most normal no-thumbers. I do this weird flip thing in my back swing where my hand ends up in front of the ball pushing it back and then as I bring it forward I get my hand back behind the ball. I can usually switch between throwing a bigger hook and playing more straight up without any issues, but the problem is the ball reaction. Plastic doesn't react enough and the urethane reacts too much.

I prefer to throw a little bit more of a bigger hook. Game 2 and game 3 I really don't have any issues. Its that 1st game where I can't seem to go anywhere. It's always my lowest score of the night(it really makes getting to the next round in survivor hard). I'm not sure if its just a matter of me not being loose enough, or if its just the fresh backend and no oil carry down yet. I think it may be a combination.

I had originally wanted the natural pearl, but it wasn't out yet at the time I bought my avalanche. I didn't know the avalanche wasn't a pearl. I saw it had pearl listed under the "color", but that's obviously different than the "coverstock". Maybe I will have to get the natural pearl and see if its any different.

Belmo's plastic white Storm ball says it has an optical block in it. Any of the pictures of this block that I've seen just show a big rectangle. My local Pro Shop guy said it is an actual weight block, but I don't know what to think. I think I'd rather just spend a few dollars more and get another urethane and see if I can have something different done to it.

#148211 - 03/10/11 10:38 PM Re: Plastic ball with full weight block? [Re: dinger429]
aoiten Offline
Legend

A/S/L: amerika ni sunde iru
Two ideas. One, find some oil near the middle of the lane to help get the ball further before it hooks. (Recently, I've been learning to play around the middle arrow, and today I think I actually walked around the ball return slightly. It's fun.)

Two, try a plastic ball /without/ polish on it, and maybe some surface. Maybe start at a lower grit like 1000 or 2000 Abralon to remove the polish and give the ball some traction. Test it. If it arcs too much, move up to the next grit level--2000 or 4000 Abralon--until you find one that you like. (I swear there is even a 3000 Abralon, but no one believes me. heh)

Oh! If the problem is fresh oil and backend, maybe more surface would smooth out the transition between oil and dry. In that case, I wonder if a sanded urethane would work better.

#148217 - 03/11/11 12:09 AM Re: Plastic ball with full weight block? [Re: aoiten]
dinger429 Offline
Junior

Originally Posted By: aoiten
Two ideas. One, find some oil near the middle of the lane to help get the ball further before it hooks. (Recently, I've been learning to play around the middle arrow, and today I think I actually walked around the ball return slightly. It's fun.)

Two, try a plastic ball /without/ polish on it, and maybe some surface. Maybe start at a lower grit like 1000 or 2000 Abralon to remove the polish and give the ball some traction. Test it. If it arcs too much, move up to the next grit level--2000 or 4000 Abralon--until you find one that you like. (I swear there is even a 3000 Abralon, but no one believes me. heh)

Oh! If the problem is fresh oil and backend, maybe more surface would smooth out the transition between oil and dry. In that case, I wonder if a sanded urethane would work better.
Those sound like some good ideas. I like the 2nd one. That's one of the reasons why I'm asking about plastic balls with a full core(I really like the pin action you get from a core). I figured I'd try and get a plastic ball with a core in it and try and put some surface on it until I get the reaction I'm looking for.

The 1st idea makes sense in theory, but when I actually try and do that, it just doesn't work. I have a really hard time trying to play the middle part of the lane. I think it requires a little bit more accuracy and isn't as forgiving on bad shots. Its just not the spot for me to be playing.

Now, for a sanded urethane(or maybe even just a matte finish), I was wondering if using one of those would be a good idea. Maybe the ball could have more front/mid lane reaction and be a little less reactive in the backend. Once the oil starts making its way to the backend I usually do pretty well.

#148252 - 03/11/11 03:50 PM Re: Plastic ball with full weight block? [Re: dinger429]
aoiten Offline
Legend

Originally Posted By: dinger429
I have a really hard time trying to play the middle part of the lane.

OK.

Well...how do you shoot the plastic ball? Up the 1st, 2nd, or 3rd arrow? Straight up or do you swing it out a little?

On a dry or drier lane, you might not need much of a core, but better to confirm that with someone else. heh

Here's a guy hooking a plastic ball sanded down to 500 Abralon. (I'm pretty sure he's two-handing without the thumb based on the fact that the guy converted to two-handing a year ago and the video was uploaded 9 months ago.)

#148259 - 03/11/11 06:43 PM Re: Plastic ball with full weight block? [Re: dinger429]
aoiten Offline
Legend

Oh, look into the aggressive plastic ball/short pin layout. http://www.morichbowling.com/resources/BTM_June_2010_Article.pdf

There is also the 9" balance hole that basically restores some top weight to a ball after drilling through the pancake.

Have you watched any of the plastic ball championships?

#148260 - 03/11/11 09:36 PM Re: Plastic ball with full weight block? [Re: aoiten]
dinger429 Offline
Junior

Originally Posted By: dinger429
I have a really hard time trying to play the middle part of the lane.

OK.

Well...how do you shoot the plastic ball? Up the 1st, 2nd, or 3rd arrow? Straight up or do you swing it out a little?

On a dry or drier lane, you might not need much of a core, but better to confirm that with someone else. heh

Here's a guy hooking a plastic ball sanded down to 500 Abralon. (I'm pretty sure he's two-handing without the thumb based on the fact that the guy converted to two-handing a year ago and the video was uploaded 9 months ago.)

I never go near the middle of the lane with plastic. I generally swing it out just a little bit, but it usually makes its way over the 2nd arrow. When I throw urethane its between the 2nd and 3rd arrows and out a lot more.

The reason I'm looking for something with a core is because I can't seem to carry anything with the typical plastic ball. I don't have any problems hitting the pocket, but the carry isn't really there.

I've seen some other videos of people throwing plastic. There's one guy who I've seen throw an xxxl starburst(I believe I remember seeing that it was also down to 500 abralon)on some different kegel shots and pba shots.

#148261 - 03/11/11 09:52 PM Re: Plastic ball with full weight block? [Re: aoiten]
dinger429 Offline
Junior

Oh, look into the aggressive plastic ball/short pin layout. http://www.morichbowling.com/resources/BTM_June_2010_Article.pdf

There is also the 9" balance hole that basically restores some top weight to a ball after drilling through the pancake.

Have you watched any of the plastic ball championships?
I have seen the last two plastic ball championships. I'm not a big fan of them, though. They reduce the volume of oil to match the plastic. There is really nothing challenging about them in my opinion. The pros didn't have to change anything about their game for the tournament. It looked to me like they were just bowling like normal, just with plastic balls. It obviously wasn't challenging at all because Jason Couch should have never been able to make the show with the power game he has.

#148262 - 03/11/11 09:55 PM Re: Plastic ball with full weight block? [Re: dinger429]
aoiten Offline
Legend

Maybe try shooting the plastic ball up the 1st arrow. The edges should be dry, giving the ball more time to get some traction. At league one night, two times I swung a plastic ball out farther than expected and the thing turned hard! It turned and rolled straight toward the middle of the pins, but crossed over both times. No doubt a 1-3 pocket hit would have knocked all the pins back. First time seeing that!

From what I've heard, weight is more important for plastic when used as a strike ball. Usually a plastic ball doesn't have the traction and dynamics to make lighter weights as effective. Not as a hook ball.

If you can find a Starburst, get it. Otherwise, like my Pro Shop guy tells me, it's more economical to experiment with coverstock changes first.

#148263 - 03/11/11 10:08 PM Re: Plastic ball with full weight block? [Re: aoiten]
dinger429 Offline
Junior

Maybe try shooting the plastic ball up the 1st arrow. The edges should be dry, giving the ball more time to get some traction. At league one night, two times I swung a plastic ball out farther than expected and the thing turned hard! It turned and rolled straight toward the middle of the pins, but crossed over both times. No doubt a 1-3 pocket hit would have knocked all the pins back. First time seeing that!

From what I've heard, weight is more important for plastic when used as a strike ball. Usually a plastic ball doesn't have the traction and dynamics to make lighter weights as effective. Not as a hook ball.

If you can find a Starburst, get it. Otherwise, like my pro shop guy tells me, it's more economical to experiment with coverstock changes first.
Well, I need a new plastic ball anyway, so I will probably just buy a starburst. I would have some changes made to my urethane ball, but I like the reaction the way it is, especially for the 2nd and 3rd games. Maybe I can try and find a used urethane ball and see what I can do with it.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
The Sinister Unfolds
by SteveH - 6 minutes 47 seconds ago
No interest in PBA Experience Leagues
by BOSStull - Today at 11:00 AM
2013-2014 Honor Scores
by BOSStull - Today at 08:46 AM
Add Bowling Revs By Adding Lag
by BOSStull - Today at 07:57 AM
Summer Leagues 2014 thread
by Dennis Michael - Yesterday at 01:58 PM
Brunswick sold
by SteveH - 07/24/14 10:48 PM
Very Strange Ball Track Problem
by Dennis Michael - 07/24/14 02:05 PM
Resurfacing the Storm Byte
by djp1080 - 07/23/14 11:55 PM
Trying to understand this statement
by SteveH - 07/23/14 10:24 PM
Any rules on speed of play?
by SteveH - 07/22/14 04:17 PM
A loss in my local association
by SteveH - 07/22/14 04:12 PM
Suggestions on a better angel
by mmalsed - 07/21/14 11:41 AM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2014 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.