BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#147656 - 02/28/11 06:13 PM my form looks terrible!!!
sharnothegreat Offline
Bracket Donor

A/S/L: 25/m/FL
well i think it does but want to hear what you guys think.

arsenal:
Hammer-Raw Hammer ACID
Brunswick-Zone spare

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#147658 - 02/28/11 06:41 PM Re: my form looks terrible!!! [Re: sharnothegreat]
Calvin Pistorio Offline
State Champion Contender

A/S/L: 32/m/maryland
Actually it doesn't look bad. Sure there are a few things that can be improved on. I think your timing is a bit late, it looks like the ball moves a half a step or so too late. I also think the set up can be tweaked some as well. My opinion is the ball is held too far in front of you in the initial set up, and maybe a little too high. I would bring the elbow back to the side of the body. This might also bring the ball down a little as well. I also suggest supporting the ball more with the left hand. With the current set up, I think you are engaging the arm muscle of the right arm to hold the ball up and out and might be causing you to muscle the ball a bit.

I do like that you are not rushing to the line, and you don't seem to be trying to do things to make the ball hook. Like I said it's not as bad you think. A video from behind will help tell the story of your swing plane.
HS:763

#147659 - 02/28/11 06:51 PM Re: my form looks terrible!!! [Re: sharnothegreat]
sharnothegreat Offline
Bracket Donor

i agree with you on your points, i do hold the ball in my right hand mostly with the left just kinda steadying it a little. for the ball being too high that has to do with me trying to combat the lane i was playing on and i was trying to get some more speed, usually it is lower but im not sure how far out it is from my body. i guess i just see other good bowlers bowl and i dont look anything like them lol. but also im not as small as them either, im 6'1" 240 so that might have something to do with it lol. looks like my back is kinda hunched, u think i should straighten up a little? ok enough rambling! thanks for your input

arsenal:
Hammer-Raw Hammer ACID
Brunswick-Zone spare

#147660 - 02/28/11 07:06 PM Re: my form looks terrible!!! [Re: sharnothegreat]
Calvin Pistorio Offline
State Champion Contender

A/S/L: 32/m/maryland
I don't think that "hunch" is an issue, many pros are like that. It's kind of a bit of a forward lean which a little is ok. I'm 6' and close to the 240 lb mark myself. I know some very good bowlers that aren't exactly small either. Sometimes it takes a little work and maybe some things that aren't text book to get there, and it takes work but it is definitely achievable. Look at Wes Malott.
HS:763

#147663 - 02/28/11 07:31 PM Re: my form looks terrible!!! [Re: sharnothegreat]
sharnothegreat Offline
Bracket Donor

oh for sure i can get good, i just cant do the finesse moves lol! i started bowling seriously only 1 1/2 years ago so i think im not doing too bad, im averaging 168 in this league, which is my first full league, i didnt finish last year because i had to move out of town. thanks for your help, i can only get better from here!

arsenal:
Hammer-Raw Hammer ACID
Brunswick-Zone spare

#147664 - 02/28/11 07:58 PM Re: my form looks terrible!!! [Re: sharnothegreat]
sharnothegreat Offline
Bracket Donor

i just read my post and i didnt mean it to sound like i was cocky, i was saying as a big guy i can get good just like anybody else. lol

arsenal:
Hammer-Raw Hammer ACID
Brunswick-Zone spare

#147677 - 03/01/11 12:19 AM Re: my form looks terrible!!! [Re: sharnothegreat]
Fpurhe Offline
Bracket Donor

A/S/L: 20/M
I agree strongly with Calvin on the ball being too high. It threw the timing of your swing off. Holding the ball high really doesn't add speed. Which is a VERY common misconception. I see what the thinking behind it is (gravity will push the ball down if the swing is free). Gravity has a very small effect on ball speed. Ball speed is created from the movement speed of the feet.

I actually hold the ball higher to go slower because it causes the swing to be longer which means you have to move your feet slower to stay in correct timing.

#147679 - 03/01/11 01:38 AM Re: my form looks terrible!!! [Re: Fpurhe]
B-Hammer Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 30/M/Bellingham WA
Originally Posted By: NNBowling
Holding the ball high really doesn't add speed. Which is a VERY common misconception. I see what the thinking behind it is (gravity will push the ball down if the swing is free). Gravity has a very small effect on ball speed. Ball speed is created from the movement speed of the feet.

It all depends on how high you can swing the ball back. If your back swing is limited in height and the back swing is lower then the starting point. Then yeah holding the ball higher will not add any speed and you'll have to find other ways of adding speed like your feet, you just don't want to get to the point where you have to muscle the ball in order to keep up with your feet.

http://www.bowl4fun.com/ron/tip16.htm

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Resurface is always a thrilling topic
by SteveH - Today at 11:06 AM
Leading with the ring finger...
by djp1080 - 09/12/19 12:24 AM
USBC Rule 12
by Dennis Michael - 09/10/19 07:26 AM
USBC General Playing Rule 18 Change
by Mkirchie - 09/03/19 03:33 PM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2019 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.