BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#147440 - 02/26/11 04:36 PM for coachjim
DrAvery Offline
Bracket Donor

A/S/L: 33 M Seattle, WA
This is a repost of another post, so if you guys delete it, that's cool. I'm not trying to blatantly cross-post, just wanted to make sure jim saw this.

Coachjim asked to see some pictures of my hand in my ball. The other thread is kind of buried, and I was a bit slow getting this up so I'm posting the video here.

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#147442 - 02/26/11 05:12 PM Re: for coachjim [Re: DrAvery]
ijohn83 Offline
4x Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 54/male/Palmdale, California U...
my 2 cents:
Spands look okay as best I can tell. Your thumb has a fat base like mine. I have been playing around with an oval hole based on my first knuckle, then a round hole drilled on top of the oval hole that is based on my fat thumb base (1.25")to get my thumb down to it's crease; I am digging it!

~ John

#147482 - 02/27/11 05:23 AM Re: for coachjim [Re: DrAvery]
Vini Offline
Team USA Contender

A/S/L: 32/m/Al
yeah span looks ok. Thumb hole looks bigger than it should.
But maybe I am getting the wrong impression.
Do you have knuckling problems ?

#147487 - 02/27/11 07:09 AM Re: for coachjim [Re: DrAvery]
10PinGaloot Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 65/m/ Woodburn, OR
Not an expert by a long shot, but my spans are 1/8" less than that. Basically I had them shortened time after time until the pain went away. However, one of my balls has just about that same span and I can throw it all day, so go figure. In other words, your span is good enough, but (IMHO) not perfect.

As Vini implies, a long span could cause your thumb to get a callus on the knuckle as it bends to fit into the hole.

Also, the pitch of the thumbhole affects the proper span. I have balls of 0, 1/8 rev, and 3/16 rev. The ones with reverse pitch can be a tad longer. Of course I have to throw each pitch differently, so I have to make a mental note of which one I'm throwing. Just to spice things up, I have a set of 0-pitch IT slugs and a set of 1/8 pitch, so I can actually go from 0 to 5/16 pitch if I want to. Very confusing at times, but that's what gives me joy, so... whatever....

"I love the smell of lane conditioner in the morning!"
current avatar is Gabby Hayes. Looks a lot like me! smile

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Bowler turns 100
by Dennis Michael - Yesterday at 05:04 PM
Our Bowling Ally is now Chuckie Cheese
by djp1080 - 11/18/19 07:59 PM
Major News in the Industry
by Mkirchie - 11/17/19 04:35 PM
Good morning everyone...
by djp1080 - 11/17/19 12:50 PM
Plastic or Urethane?
by Dennis Michael - 11/17/19 12:45 PM
What is the best ball to get?
by djp1080 - 11/10/19 09:02 PM
Which fork on the Hy-Road should I take?
by Mkirchie - 11/02/19 07:05 AM
End of Days
by BOSStull - 11/02/19 06:44 AM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2019 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.