BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#147291 - 02/24/11 02:00 PM Re: Avoid Pulling the Ball [Re: Johnny5]
BowlerBob Offline
Team USA Contender

A/S/L: 40/Pittsburgh, PA
At risk of repeating anyone else in this thread (not readiong all responses), here are my two major problems are:
1. 'chicken arm', i.e. not keeping my elbow tucked into my side
2. squeezing the ball with my thumb

Also, follow through is very important (apparently, but I've seen many consistent bowlers with poor follow through, go figure). So don't bring your arm across your body.

Nomad Pearl 1200 grit
Dark Star Step Two
Rapid Fire 800 + polish
Ebonite Pin Slasher grey scotch (~800)

Innovative 1/2 hp Spinner

I could be wrong smile

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#147296 - 02/24/11 04:23 PM Re: Avoid Pulling the Ball [Re: Johnny5]
JW123 Offline
Team USA Contender

A/S/L: 45/M/NJ
Originally Posted By: Johnny5
Wow that's a lot of input, thanks everyone. I really like some of the suggestions and I'll apply it on my next practice game. Currently the checklist I go through mentally are:

1. let the ball drop STRAIGHT on the push-away because this will also promote a straight backswing?
2. on the release make sure thumb points 12 o'clock position
3. follow through over the shoulders

One thing - I've heard of the keeping the elbow close to the hips and tried it before, but sometimes if I think about it too much I end up hitting the side of my hips on my downswing! Why is that? Am I not leaning sideways enough?

Your second one about the thumb pointing to the 12 o'clock position at release isn't going to help you avoid pulling the ball and isn't recommended unless you are throwing a straight ball. To get proper finger rotation so you hook the ball, your thumb should be left of 12 o'clock. I keep it at 11 throughout my swing, some put it at 10, others put it at 11:30. I like the 2 other items on your mental checklist though.

As to your other point, if you are hitting the side of your hip on your downswing, you MAY be drifting to the right. There are other possible causes, but a drift may be the culprit, you need to figure out if you are.

HG: 279 santioned/300 unsanctioned
HS3: 671
HS4: 847

12-13 Averages:
177 full season league
171/175 (both halves short-season)

First "Triple Deucey" 3/28/2012: 226-212-202 for 640.

#147305 - 02/24/11 06:04 PM Re: Avoid Pulling the Ball [Re: Johnny5]
Johnny5 Offline
Bantam

A/S/L: Los Angeles, CA
JW, I think I phrased #2 wrong. I meant make sure on the follow-through my thumb ends up pointing at the 12 o'clock position. Also when you speak of keeping it at 11 throughout your swing, you're speaking as a left-handed bowler? Otherwise this newbie is confused...

Dennis - I try to walk the line instead of crossing over, only because in one of Norm Duke's youtube videos he mentioned that to his student. But I guess it's just a matter of preference?

#147306 - 02/24/11 06:31 PM Re: Avoid Pulling the Ball [Re: Johnny5]
Dennis Michael Online   jestera
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: M/Barrington, Ill
Johnny, when you start, the ball should rest in your cupped hand and weight equally distributed between both of your hands. In your swing, your hand should be behind the ball with your fingers under the equator of the ball. At the release, your thumb exits and your fingers roll up the side of the ball, moving from 6 o'clock to about 4 o'clock. As I do that, my thumb is at 12 o'clock.
Legends - L/M Xtreme Damage 15# Strong pearl

#147317 - 02/24/11 10:21 PM Re: Avoid Pulling the Ball [Re: Johnny5]
DocLogic77 Offline
Action Bowler

A/S/L: m/37/ky
I must agree with many of the other posters. If I miss I almost always miss right which I have been told is unusual. But, if I'm pulling the ball the first thing I look at is timing. Then I look at my timing...then my timing. smile I know there are many other reasons to pull a ball, but if my set up is correct, I'm not muscling it and my timing is on I rarely will ever pull a ball.
Storm Virtual Gravity #15
Columbia Bedlam #15
Storm Natural Pearl #15
--------------------------
Current Average-185
High Game-259 (5/4/11)
High Series-690 (5/4/11)
First Clean Game-1/13/11-204, second 234 (1/17/11)

#147319 - 02/24/11 10:40 PM Re: Avoid Pulling the Ball [Re: B-Hammer]
trekguy Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 56/M/Mn
Originally Posted By: B-Hammer
I struggle with this as well, when I check the video it's because at the top of my swing my hand has already moved to the outside of the ball, and then if I'm trying to rev the ball with my fingers at release they are pointed at the 7 pin so the ball will get yanked in that direction.

This is a good one to watch for! Keep the shoulder and hand open til the very end, and you'll find it's easier to get the ball out to the right. As a bonus, the ball will roll much better.

One simple thing that I do if I'm having a little trouble missing my target left.... or more so if I'm playing a deeper inside line... is to adjust the ball in my setup to the right a bit. This is just a small adjustment, maybe an inch or two, but it does work.

And, as mentioned already, don't pull the ball down from your backswing. Let it swing, then let it fall. This is probably the single most important factor in repeating your swing, and repeatedly hitting your target.
Motiv Venom Shock
Motiv Arctic Sniper
Motiv Tank

#147402 - 02/26/11 05:01 AM Re: Avoid Pulling the Ball [Re: Johnny5]
Vini Offline
Team USA Contender

A/S/L: 32/m/Al
As everyone here, I had that problem.

The solution for me was very easy to read :

KEEP YOUR HEAD OVER THE BALL AT ALL THE TIME !

And that is it.
It may look like those pills that cure everything, but it really does cure a lot.

Why ?
Because by keeping the head on top of the ball, you will lower the bowling shoulder, your spine will be tilted, it will promote a lot of good things.

Of course the long version would be:
"Well this is what works for me"

1. Hinge push-away in front of you
2. Make sure that on the way down you touch your body with your elbow (so there is no space between you and the arm).
3. On the top of the swing rotate the hand (open hand). Keep that hand position until the release.
4. On the way down try to touch the body with elbow again.
4. At the release point co-ck the hand and than let go (un co-ck).
5. Post the shot

You do that and you say goodbye to pulling.

Piece of cake, huh ?

PS: Joe Slowinski has some great articles. I suggest you read them.
http://www.bowlingknowledge.info/images/stories/slowinskidec10.pdf

Edited by Vini (02/26/11 05:20 AM)

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Fall/Winter 2018-19 Leagues Thread
by Mkirchie - 10/14/18 12:15 PM
Mo Pinel "Striking Effectively In Today's Game"
by BOSStull - 10/14/18 06:16 AM
Buying new house shoes.
by BOSStull - 10/11/18 05:58 AM
Storm/Roto Grip MatchMaker Live
by BOSStull - 10/11/18 05:44 AM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2018 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.