BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#146198 - 02/09/11 09:52 PM tired ?
lakredrai Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 45/male/vancouver, wa, usa
I here and read about bowlers getting tired allot and not finishing there 3rd game well because of it. I for one do not understand this. I am 42 years old and in terrible shape, and I can bowl all day without getting tired. I only throw the ball around 14 mph, maybe that is it. thoughts anyone ?
Columbia Freeze
Columbia White Dot

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#146200 - 02/09/11 10:13 PM Re: tired ? [Re: lakredrai]
DrAvery Offline
Bracket Donor

A/S/L: 33 M Seattle, WA
I've been using bowling to lose weight since this last summer, on and off. I like to show up and roll 10 games on two lanes by myself at a vigorous pace - without sitting between frames. I can tell you, I get quite tired. I would never stop just because I'm tired though - it's just too much fun.

I think people underestimate the amount of exercise that bowling can represent. It helps if you are using a free arm swing instead of trying to muscle the ball. The more efficient your actions, the less tired you will get. Someone who is new to bowling will be less efficient that a regular bowler. Bowling is good like that - it can be as heavy or light of a workout as you want it to be.

Another possibility: Maybe you aren't in as bad of shape as you thought.

#146217 - 02/10/11 12:09 AM Re: tired ? [Re: lakredrai]
B-Hammer Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 30/M/Bellingham WA
A few reasons I can think of:

- Muscling the ball, some people have no swing at all, they more or less just throw the ball down the lane.

- Unusual techniques that require lots of stressful hand/arm/back positions.

- Sprinting to the line, the line isn't far, but the stress of trying to stop from accelerating as fast as they can is hard on the body.

- Really out of shape, smoker, over weight, etc. some people lose their breath getting off the couch.

#146224 - 02/10/11 12:41 AM Re: tired ? [Re: B-Hammer]
Kitten Latch Offline
Action Bowler

A/S/L: 19/M/Australia
Originally Posted By: B-Hammer

- Muscling the ball, some people have no swing at all, they more or less just throw the ball down the lane.

- Sprinting to the line, the line isn't far, but the stress of trying to stop from accelerating as fast as they can is hard on the body.

These are the two reasons I was going to suggest. Some people direct the ball a lot and as such, are holding the ball back before the release, fighting gravity is hard. :P Also pulling the ball down from the top of their swing is going to use some energy. I also see some bowlers moving against the swing (usually in the process of racing to the foul line).
Black Pearl [email protected]
Terminator [email protected]
[email protected]

High Series: 793(3), 1033(4)
High Game: 300x1 17/6/11

#146238 - 02/10/11 03:16 AM Re: tired ? [Re: lakredrai]
Atochabsh Offline
USBC Bronze Coach

A/S/L: 50/F/California
Some nights its more tiring then others. Tonight was a tiring night. Your entire day culminates into this finishing physical act of bowling. If you've had a busy stressful day or bad nights sleep prior you might be more tired during that third game. Also sometimes the mental work involved in keeping in the pocket and keeping the carry wears on you.

The center we bowl in now, has a very strange sette area. There are three steps down from the seating area (where the autoscorers and bowlers' seats are) to the ball return and then one step up again to the approach. Every frame, down three up one, and then down one, up three. It doesn't seem like much but the first few months in this center we were more tired after bowling then normal.

#146240 - 02/10/11 04:06 AM Re: tired ? [Re: lakredrai]
Vini Offline
Team USA Contender

A/S/L: 32/m/Al
I used to practice a lot 10-15 games. I was somehow tired but not much. Now I practice max 8-10 games and at the end I am very tired, because I am not just bowling like before but I am concentrating on smth in particular (balance, flat-spot). And that is very tiring.

Although I find bowling a very stress release sport. When I am done bowling my mind feels "light as rain"

#146244 - 02/10/11 07:07 AM Re: tired ? [Re: lakredrai]
10PinGaloot Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 65/m/ Woodburn, OR
I bowl 8-10 games at a time, 6 games per hour, and have no problem.

On my birthday, I bowl 24 games. That's 4 hours, but doesn't give me any soreness the next day. This past birthday I bowled 6 1/2 hours.

....just to establish that bowling doesn't tire me for any of the problems mentioned above....

However, bowling 3 games in a league is very tiring for me due to 2 things:
1 - I'm standing up for 2 1/2 hours, which has always caused leg pain, since I was a kid, regardless of what I'm doing, and that pain feels like tiredness
2 - by the end of the league session it's past my normal bedtime

"I love the smell of lane conditioner in the morning!"
current avatar is Gabby Hayes. Looks a lot like me! smile

#146251 - 02/10/11 08:51 AM Re: tired ? [Re: B-Hammer]
Dennis Michael Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: M/Barrington, Ill
Originally Posted By: B-Hammer

- Unusual techniques that require lots of stressful hand/arm/back positions.

- Really out of shape, smoker, over weight, etc. some people lose their breath getting off the couch.

Well said, B-Hammer. These are reasons to tire.

I have had significant back trouble, that caused me to early retire. Operations were in my future,as my Doctor explained, with some loss of mobility, as a result. That's when I decided to use bowling as my outlet. Not only bowling by itself, but also the exercise regime I go through with stretching as well. And, it has helped a lot.

I also bowl with Seniors now, and I marvel at the smooth, effortless swing some of these guys have. They can bowl for hours without using muscles, and score at the same time. Two in particular, both named Hank, both in their mid 70's, and both carrying mid 220 averages are my idols. Both are smooth, and effortless, while being accurate and consistent.

The older Hank and I bowl every Sunday morning at 9, and I have trouble keeping up with him. He bowls on a single lane and never stops til 11 o'clock. When I grow up, I want to be like Hank.
Legends - L/M Xtreme Damage 15# Strong pearl

#146264 - 02/10/11 11:27 AM Re: tired ? [Re: lakredrai]
champ Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 30/M/AZ
I'm in pretty awesome shape. I just got out of the Marine Corps in August, I can run two miles in less than 10 minutes, I can do 200 push-ups no questions asked, etc. I can bowl all day long with a 15 pound ball, without feeling tired or weak, but when I throw a 16 pound ball, I feel weak and tired in my knees, my feet start to hurt, and I get a killer knot in my bowling shoulder. That's why I sold my 16 pound equipment (and the macho ego that went with it) and have all 15 pounders now.

#146585 - 02/14/11 08:49 PM Re: tired ? [Re: lakredrai]
tbill Offline
Touring Pro Contender

A/S/L: 42/m/ny
well, i'm old, out of shape, smoke, and on thursday night social league i enjoy some adult beverages grin i usually don't get tired.

mondays are a different story, i eat dinner before i go, and drink a soda and usually 2 waters during the night, by the end of the third game i'm spent.

i think the reason for the difference is my stress level during 'work life' on those two days. mondays are usually a living h ell stress-wise, very busy, while thursday we're kind of winding down for the week.
working on all of them......

track 930T [15]

member of the mooseknuckles winter vl team

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Anthony Simonsen Gene Carter's Pro Shop Classic
by 82Boat69 - Today at 02:33 AM
End of Days
by steveA - 08/19/18 11:45 AM
Duplicating the reaction of an obsolete ball
by Dennis Michael - 08/19/18 10:29 AM
Summer Leagues 2018 thread
by Dennis Michael - 08/19/18 08:41 AM
Fall/Winter 2018-19 Leagues Thread
by Richie V. - 08/16/18 01:06 PM
2018 USBC Open Championships Syracuse NY
by wronghander - 08/07/18 08:45 PM
Short Pin to Axis Layouts for Full Rollers?
by nord - 07/28/18 04:27 PM
Axis Weight Layout for Full Roller?
by Mkirchie - 07/28/18 07:45 AM
PBA Moving From ESPN to Fox
by Gutterballqueen313 - 07/25/18 01:50 PM
Summer House Tourney
by Dennis Michael - 07/24/18 08:26 AM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2018 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.