BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#146554 - 02/14/11 02:54 PM Dry lane ball recommendation
Lizard75 Offline
Bracket Donor

A/S/L: 39/m/Oconomowoc, WI
Over the last several months I've noticed my game changing a little. I'm getting more revs and a smoother arm swing,which is getting me better pin carry, and my average is improving (+20 since Oct). The problem is that when the lanes start drying up, the Brunswick Copperhead that I've used in the past as a dry lane ball is starting to over hook. So now I'm in the market for a new dry lane ball. I won't be using it that much so I want cheap, I was thinking a Brunswick Slingshot or a storm Tropical Storm. Does anyone have any experience with these or any other recommendations?

High Game-300
High Series-721

15# Hammer Spike
15# Storm Polar Ice
15# Brunswick Copperhead
15# Dynothane AU-79
15# Columbia Freeze

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#146557 - 02/14/11 04:37 PM Re: Dry lane ball recommendation [Re: Lizard75]
jbungard Offline
Team USA Contender

A/S/L: 58/m/Arizona
Lizard,

The Slingshot is a terrific dry lane ball: The PowerKoil 17 coverstock is proven and durable, along with a quality core, a very good ball at a bargain price.

The MoRich Mojave also uses the PK 17 coverstock along with a mildly asymmetric core, albeit at a somewhat higher price.

The Track 300C is an excellent ball for this use, again at a higher price than the Slingshot.

The Tropical Storm is a decent alternative in the same price range as the Slingshot.

I would recommend the Slingshot or the 300C: Either would fit your need. The TS is decent but the Slingshot and 300C have truly raised the bar for quality and utility on dry lanes at a reasonable price.
Code Black:65x4.5"x60,P3xh,compound
Rave:PU Ring,compound
Rack Attack Solid,45x3.3875"x45,P2xh,500/4000
Maxim:Label,polished

#146560 - 02/14/11 05:05 PM Re: Dry lane ball recommendation [Re: Lizard75]
J_w73 Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 37/M/Northern CA
I would go with the slingshot..I have one and it is great on lighter oil ..
If you really want it to be as weak as possible go with a short pin to pap to kill the flare and give you great control on the lanes with no jumpiness.

if you go the storm route make sure you get the tropical storm..
the tropical heat cover is still really strong off dry..
even the storm is pretty strong but it doesn't have a very dynamic core

I've heard good things about the 300c as well.. but like said is more expensive than the slingshot..

Another lighter oil ball that will give you a different look is the Avalanche Urethane or the new storm peal natural urethane.

But it would depend on the lanes.. If there is oil up front then the urethane will work.. if not then it may not be the best..
urethane , even though it is a weaker reaction, will hook earlier than recative....
I'm not sure why but I have read this and also see it compared to my slingshot and avalanche urethane..

Book Average 220

#146622 - 02/15/11 08:51 AM Re: Dry lane ball recommendation [Re: Lizard75]
slowdown Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 60/m/junction city, ks
Hello,
Reading your post on a dry lane ball and you throw brunswick. I bought a Brunswick Avalanche Slide for my 13yo son. Maintenance is very easy, just keep it polished. You can go on Brunswick.com and watch a video. Hits hard and pins fly.
Brunswick Blazing Inferno Spare Ball WD

#146623 - 02/15/11 09:06 AM Re: Dry lane ball recommendation [Re: Lizard75]
slowdown Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 60/m/junction city, ks
Brunswick.com doesn't video the ball, it is on you tube.
hope this helps. I spent $60 dollars on the ball.
Brunswick Blazing Inferno Spare Ball WD

#146626 - 02/15/11 09:49 AM Re: Dry lane ball recommendation [Re: slowdown]
prov1x_nxt Offline
Junior Coach

A/S/L: 24/m/portsmouth ohio
i have the same problem with a high rev rate and dry lanes. i had my old fal hammer resurfaced and redrilled to fit me. the pin reaction on this ball is amazing. it really does hit hard. I am also looking to build an arsenal and upgrade my equipment too but after the 6 games i have bowled with this hammer since getting it drilled and surfaced, i will more than likely leave it in the bag even after i get a few more balls in my inventory. the ball is really old but if u have the chance to try one u really should look into it. I have also read a lot trying to increase my bowling knowledge and on several other forums a lot of people still recommend the old hammer over a lot of todays balls. really is a vintage ball.

Hammer Black Widow Sting 16lbs
Hammer Epidemic 16lbs
Storm Tropical Heat Blue/Indigo 16lbs
900 Global The Eagle 16lbs
Hammer Faball 16lbs
AMF Villain 16lbs
Brunswick T-zone 16lbs

#146631 - 02/15/11 11:48 AM Re: Dry lane ball recommendation [Re: Lizard75]
Kitten Latch Offline
Action Bowler

A/S/L: 19/M/Australia
Even though I've never used it, I've seen a fair few slingshots lately and with a varied set of bowlers. The thing carries well with a controlled dry lane reaction. In fact I was recently the victim of an old guy stringing 8 in a row just dumping it on the lane. laugh

It's tough to recommend urethane due to it's better use on shorter sport patterns over just burnt standard shots. It's reaction shape is quite different to reactive resin, so it's quite difficult to transition to urethane from reactive.
Black Pearl [email protected]
Terminator [email protected]
[email protected]

High Series: 793(3), 1033(4)
High Game: 300x1 17/6/11

#146639 - 02/15/11 01:47 PM Re: Dry lane ball recommendation [Re: Lizard75]
Booglerz Offline
Bantam

A/S/L: 22/m/Tx, Arlington
Thanks for the ideas in here! I've been wondering for a while what a good dry ball was. I bowl on campus and they do next to no lane conditioning so the lanes are always super dry. I'm going to get a sling shot and see how it handles.

#146643 - 02/15/11 03:14 PM Re: Dry lane ball recommendation [Re: Lizard75]
Lizard75 Offline
Bracket Donor

A/S/L: 39/m/Oconomowoc, WI
Yeah I think a Urethane is too much of a one trick pony. I actually went to my driller today with a buddy who I finally talked into getting a new ball (columbia burst). While there I also looked at the Hammer Backlash and columbia freeze. Any opinions about those two?

High Game-300
High Series-721

15# Hammer Spike
15# Storm Polar Ice
15# Brunswick Copperhead
15# Dynothane AU-79
15# Columbia Freeze

#146644 - 02/15/11 04:46 PM Re: Dry lane ball recommendation [Re: Lizard75]
Jazlar Von Steich Offline
Bracket Donor

A/S/L: 43/M/Windsor, Ontario, Canada
Yeah, stay away from urethane if the lanes really are dry. It hooks as soon as you put it down, pretty much. I bought the Natural thinking it would solve my dry lane issue.

I was going to buy one of the Backlashes but my Pro Shop guy sold me the Ebonite Hardball instead (he would have had to order a Backlash). Funny thing is, this ball may very well be my second or third strongest ball. I like it, but not what I was looking for.

I also need a dry lane ball - something other than plastic. Something that I don't have to play as far left as possible and swing it as far right as possible, and/or throw with a lot of speed. I think the Slingshot may be the answer.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Major News in the Industry
by Mkirchie - 4 minutes 40 seconds ago
Our Bowling Ally is now Chuckie Cheese
by Dennis Michael - Today at 01:00 PM
Good morning everyone...
by djp1080 - Today at 12:50 PM
Plastic or Urethane?
by Dennis Michael - Today at 12:45 PM
What is the best ball to get?
by djp1080 - 11/10/19 09:02 PM
Which fork on the Hy-Road should I take?
by Mkirchie - 11/02/19 07:05 AM
End of Days
by BOSStull - 11/02/19 06:44 AM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2019 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.