BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#146394 - 02/12/11 12:05 AM Spare Ball
prov1x_nxt Offline
Junior Coach

A/S/L: 24/m/portsmouth ohio
I am looking for the best spare ball available. I realize that all plastic balls are going to be very similar but i was wondering if there are some that are straighter than others? I dont care about price and I am really getting serious about my game. I have read a lot about the storm black ice and I am leaning towards buying that ball. But i would really like some other suggestions to look at before spending money.

Hammer Black Widow Sting 16lbs
Hammer Epidemic 16lbs
Storm Tropical Heat Blue/Indigo 16lbs
900 Global The Eagle 16lbs
Hammer Faball 16lbs
AMF Villain 16lbs
Brunswick T-zone 16lbs

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#146404 - 02/12/11 08:09 AM Re: Spare Ball [Re: prov1x_nxt]
Calvin Pistorio Offline
State Champion Contender

A/S/L: 32/m/maryland
Other than the Lane#1 XXXL, if that ball is still available, they are all pretty much the same. The XXXL has the Diamond core that is used in Lane #1 balls, so it works a little better on those extremely dry conditions as a strike ball. All others don't have a true core. For the most part they all are the same. Don't fall into the trap that a plastic ball can't hook though. So adjust accordingly if you use the same release as a strike attempt.
HS:763

#146416 - 02/12/11 10:55 AM Re: Spare Ball [Re: Calvin Pistorio]
prov1x_nxt Offline
Junior Coach

A/S/L: 24/m/portsmouth ohio
i know that plastic can still hook. lol funny story about it actually. my buddy has a plastic ball and argued with me 1 day telling me that the plastic ball that he owns wouldnt hook. he is a tweener and he cant get the ball to hook. So one day he bugged me for a game and a half to make his plastic ball hook because i told him that i could do it. So finally i gave in and threw his ball at a strike and it hooked almost as much as my old urathane hammer.

but bout my game. im starting to get an idea about some of the things i need to do to raise my game. on my crank my arm never gets fully extended and thats how i get so many revs. when the lanes have been really dry the past week or 2 i have been going to a more traditional style letting my arm fully extend and then come through. it really kills the revs on my ball making me a tweener instead of a cranker. Im really wondering if i cant do this with a plastic ball and get it to stay straight. Your thoughts?

ps. would it help on my 10 pin shot if i got a slightly lighter ball such as a 14lbs or 15lbs ball instead of my normal 16

Edited by prov1x_nxt (02/12/11 11:13 AM)

Hammer Black Widow Sting 16lbs
Hammer Epidemic 16lbs
Storm Tropical Heat Blue/Indigo 16lbs
900 Global The Eagle 16lbs
Hammer Faball 16lbs
AMF Villain 16lbs
Brunswick T-zone 16lbs

#146428 - 02/12/11 01:22 PM Re: Spare Ball [Re: prov1x_nxt]
B-Hammer Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 30/M/Bellingham WA
I don't think you want to go with a lighter ball for spares. Walter Ray, used to use a 15lb spare and 16lb strike before going to all 15, but if your not careful the difference in weights can wreck your timing.

Plastics can have their surfaces adjusted, but with spares I think what is more important is a ball that you have confidence in and something that matches up well with your eye (color, pattern, etc.).

#146432 - 02/12/11 02:04 PM Re: Spare Ball [Re: B-Hammer]
MikeHL Offline
Pro of the Year Contender

A/S/L: 34/M/da U.P. of Michigan, eh
Originally Posted By: B-Hammer
I don't think you want to go with a lighter ball for spares. ...if your not careful the difference in weights can wreck your timing.

Agreed. Not that my timing is good to begin with, but I tried using a 14# White Dot along with my 15# Freeze for a while and it COMPLETELY destroyed any ability I had to stay in time. I was told most people can't sense the weight difference between 14 and 15. BS. I could very easily. I already have a problem with throwing the ball much too hard, and the weight difference made it worse.
-- Mika Koivuniemi

#146433 - 02/12/11 02:49 PM Re: Spare Ball [Re: prov1x_nxt]
Atochabsh Offline
USBC Bronze Coach

A/S/L: 50/F/California
I had the same experience Mike. I bought a 14lb plastic ball because I liked the design. Yep...I'm a ball junkie. It wasn't available in 15. I thought it wouldn't make much difference but it made a HUGE difference to me. I had to sell it as used/plugged and at a loss. Lesson learned.

As for the spare ball selection. In my experience, the Brunswick Viz A Balls tend to hook more then other plastics. They are also cover sensative. You cannot repair them and maintain the graphics on the surface. So you cannot clean, polish and clean polish too often before you have a white ball. The Columbia Blue Dot is supposed to have a harder shell and therefore ability to skid longer (not hook) once polished. But low ball speeds or outgrageous revs are going to make any plastic hook. This is another reason by bowling thumbless can be a game killer. You hook plastic it gets pretty tough to pick up your 10 pin (right handers).

#146436 - 02/12/11 03:20 PM Re: Spare Ball [Re: prov1x_nxt]
aoiten Offline
Legend

A/S/L: amerika ni sunde iru
I can't say if one pound lighter is a problem or not, but we're going to find out. (I'd assume two pounds lighter would be a definite problem.) We're getting a "free" ball so I chose a lighter one to get answers and to test Mo Pinel's preference for dropping a pound. We're also going to try negative side weight for good measure.

He's a quote from Mo:

"The standard spare ball (least hooking) layout is to drill the ball with 1/2 oz. negative side on the label.

"If you want to be [censored] (like me), drill the ball with the pin 6 3/4" from the PAP on the midline and put the balance hole on the negative axis point to make the side weight legal, if necessary. That's actually the way to make it go the straightest."

#146540 - 02/14/11 11:11 AM Re: Spare Ball [Re: prov1x_nxt]
slaterracing Offline
2x Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 36/M/Adel, Iowa, USA
I have the orig Storm Ice and throw 14#. I throw 15# strike balls. i want to be able to throw the spare ball a little harder for if i have a big split and want to get some pin action out of it. Does not seem to eff my timing at all. and i can say i dont feel a ton of diff in the weight
Storm Modern Marvel 15#
Storm FireRoad 15#
Storm Furious 15#
Storm Tropicl Breeze #15
Storm Black Ice #15
Turbo Switch Grip

#146543 - 02/14/11 11:38 AM Re: Spare Ball [Re: slaterracing]
aoiten Offline
Legend

A/S/L: amerika ni sunde iru
Originally Posted By: Atochabsh
The Columbia Blue Dot is supposed to have a harder shell and therefore ability to skid longer (not hook) once polished. But low ball speeds or outgrageous revs are going to make any plastic hook. This is another reason by bowling thumbless can be a game killer. You hook plastic it gets pretty tough to pick up your 10 pin (right handers).

Verified! The Blue Dot will hook plenty for me on a drier lane. It has hooked for my wife as well, unless there is plenty of oil or she rolls it mostly straight or backup. On the flip side, recently I've been able to get my urethane and even my Heat hybrid to hit the 10-pin, so it's all about release and lane conditions really. The Blue Dot is nothing special.

#146551 - 02/14/11 02:31 PM Re: Spare Ball [Re: prov1x_nxt]
Revenator Offline
Bracket Donor

A/S/L: 49
I think a plain urethane ball is also a nice option, I found out it works better for me than plastic.
You can alter the surface, or polish it if you like, plastic might fade it's color if this is done. Also new urethane balls have good cores in them, and they make nice dry lane or short oil strike balls, plastic's don't really provide this.
Also, it's great to have one ball that covers dry conditions and spare shooting in my bag, rather than carrying an additional ball to cover both. Some plain urethanes are the grenade roto grip, amf hype, bruinswick power groove, or bruinswick avalanche urethane. I use an older columbia scout urethane, I shoot all my spares with it, but I've also shot 740 with it on dry lanes.

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Major News in the Industry
by Mkirchie - 4 minutes 40 seconds ago
Our Bowling Ally is now Chuckie Cheese
by Dennis Michael - Today at 01:00 PM
Good morning everyone...
by djp1080 - Today at 12:50 PM
Plastic or Urethane?
by Dennis Michael - Today at 12:45 PM
What is the best ball to get?
by djp1080 - 11/10/19 09:02 PM
Which fork on the Hy-Road should I take?
by Mkirchie - 11/02/19 07:05 AM
End of Days
by BOSStull - 11/02/19 06:44 AM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2019 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.