BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#146203 - 02/09/11 10:53 PM Some video--what the heck am I doing??
Rollin' G Offline
League Bowler

A/S/L: 40/M/Oklahoma
My wife was kind enough to take some video last week---no straight spare shots though, dang it. I was surprised how having the video going makes me very conscious of my bowling--I was missing my mark badly. Haha! No major physical problems other than being a desk jockey and I broke my back about 16 years ago (completely fine now, only slight problems with limberness for some activities). Be brutal--I can take the honesty and will try not to cry too much. Am I turning my hand too soon? I seemed to be bobbing all over the place at the line this day and I don't know if it was just because I had the video camera going or what, but sometimes balance is an issue for me. I tend to get too much hook and have been trying to get a better, consistent release but still seem to be on the side of the ball instead of the back of the ball. Am I even close to a straight swing plane? Seems like my hand is going to the right after release? Late push away too? I thought GOLF was hard!!!

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#146306 - 02/10/11 11:11 PM Re: Some video--what the heck am I doing?? [Re: Rollin' G]
CoachJim Offline
USBC Silver Coach

A/S/L: Reston, Virginia USA
I need a shot from the side so I can check your timing and posture.

From what I see, you are blocking your left side by not pointing your left hand at your target. By keeping your left arm to the left the entire time, it blocks the shoulders from turning and keeps the hand on the side of the ball in the swing instead of behind the ball.

Try pointing your left hand at your target and let it come back naturally as the ball is released, and you will see a straighter swing that stays on target better with more power.

Post a video from the side so I can see your timing and posture.

#146438 - 02/12/11 04:19 PM Re: Some video--what the heck am I doing?? [Re: Rollin' G]
Rollin' G Offline
League Bowler

Will work on getting some video from the side so we have a better picture. Is the left hand pointing toward the target part of the power that players like Sean Rash are able to produce as their upper body twists? Thanks for the help and will take the camera to the lanes with me tomorrow.

#146464 - 02/13/11 07:24 AM Re: Some video--what the heck am I doing?? [Re: Rollin' G]
CoachJim Offline
USBC Silver Coach

This article by Joe Slowinski explains how to use your balance arm and why it is important.

http://bowlingknowledge.info/images/stories/june09_article.pdf

#146488 - 02/13/11 04:34 PM Re: Some video--what the heck am I doing?? [Re: CoachJim]
Rollin' G Offline
League Bowler

Originally Posted By: CoachJim
I need a shot from the side so I can check your timing and posture.

Well, got some video. Busy as heck at our local house today with a youth tournament. We snagged the last lane and hurried to grab some shots before the lane filled up next to us. Hopefully this can give a fairly good view. My cheapo camera decided to lose focus on one shot and you can hear my wife grumble (made me laugh). The ball return is blocking the view of my feet. I've been watching Norm Duke's new video a lot and I review Mike Durbin's book quite a bit. I'll read the Slowinski article you posted. He tends to confuse me badly, but hopefully I'm getting a little more technical and understand him more. I read an article about the swing slot he wrote a while back and had an absolutely horrible time trying to implement what he advised, but the theories made sense (even if I couldn't seem to practice them correctly).

#146492 - 02/13/11 05:24 PM Re: Some video--what the heck am I doing?? [Re: Rollin' G]
Rollin' G Offline
League Bowler

Wow! Interesting Slowinski article. Looking at Mike Devaney's shot in light of Slowinki's explanation, he's not really a "cranker" at all. Cranker and stroker definitions seem kind of irrelevant any more. I like Slowinkski's athletic explanations here. I'm going to have to read more of his stuff--it is making more sense nowadays. I have had at least 3 different bowlers over the age of 60 tell me I "drop" my shoulder too much. I try to explain what I want to do, and they just look at me like I'm crazy. I actually watch a lot of bowling and bowlers and can't get enough of the sport since I took it up over a year ago. Slowinski's pitching analogy (with shoulders square) makes perfect sense. No way could you pitch the ball with shoulders square to where you are pitching. You'd open up your shoulders and twist through the pitch. Makes sense! Now if I can keep the balance arm out there. Barnes has his hand on top of the ball in the push away, doesn't he? Won't that tire the swing arm faster, or are there two schools of thought on this? Norm Duke is big on letting the balance arm help hold up the swing arm through the push away.

#146500 - 02/13/11 06:28 PM Re: Some video--what the heck am I doing?? [Re: Rollin' G]
CoachJim Offline
USBC Silver Coach

I should have been more specific, I need to see you from the bowling side, I can't see much from the left side other than you are needing to follow the advice in the slowinski article, your left side is blocking your swing.

Try using your balance arm and post another video when you are ready. try to get from head to toe from both the bowling side and from straight behind.

#146507 - 02/13/11 08:11 PM Re: Some video--what the heck am I doing?? [Re: CoachJim]
Rollin' G Offline
League Bowler

Ah, OK. Will get some video from the RIGHT side. It was REALLY bad timing this afternoon trying to get video. I'm glad our local house is profitable, but with only 36 lanes it gets nutty some times on the weekends.

#146754 - 02/16/11 08:00 PM Re: Some video--what the heck am I doing?? [Re: CoachJim]
Rollin' G Offline
League Bowler

Coach--Just thought I'd update this thread. I had a chance to practice with this technique. It is much more physical and does feel a bit odd, but so far I'm liking the results. I throw some shots in the channel, but I think these shots were a balance issue with the new technique. When I keep my upper body quiet, balance at the line and my balance arm hand slightly below my waist, I get amazing results. Even when I was missing my mark, there seemed to be more power in the shot, very little midlane reaction and lots of good reads into the pocket. I'll practice this for a while and re-post some new videos in a week. Thanks for the help!

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Arthritis?
by 82Boat69 - 12/12/19 09:43 PM
Friends made a dumb bet
by Dylan585 - 12/05/19 07:50 PM
Difference between shammy & microfiber towel
by Dylan585 - 12/05/19 07:49 PM
Bowler turns 100
by Dennis Michael - 11/19/19 05:04 PM
Our Bowling Ally is now Chuckie Cheese
by djp1080 - 11/18/19 07:59 PM
Major News in the Industry
by Mkirchie - 11/17/19 04:35 PM
Good morning everyone...
by djp1080 - 11/17/19 12:50 PM
Plastic or Urethane?
by Dennis Michael - 11/17/19 12:45 PM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2019 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.