BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#145922 - 02/05/11 08:02 PM A technique for the 10-pin spare (right hander)
Rollin' G Offline
League Bowler

A/S/L: 40/M/Oklahoma
I've tried a few techniques for straightening out my shot when shooting the 10 pin, but one that I'm finding works really well for me as a right-handed bowler is to use a plastic ball with my ring finger and pinkie in the ball. Something about this helps me follow through much better, hold the line through the heads and pickup the 6 and 10 pins. I'll stand on about 38 (inside of left foot) and roll 20 "ish" at the first set of arrows. Anybody else have success with this shot technique? I find this gets my lying eyes to sync with my arm. It's helped me with the 10 more than anything else I've tried and thought I'd share.

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#145948 - 02/06/11 09:50 AM Re: A technique for the 10-pin spare (right hander) [Re: Rollin' G]
CoachJim Offline
USBC Silver Coach

A/S/L: Reston, Virginia USA
If you are going to use those fingers, make sure the ball is drilled for those finger sizes and span measurements, otherwise the ball might slip out of your hand in the swing.

What worked well for me was to learn to throw any ball straight by playing straight up the 2 board and pick the 10 out of the rack with any ball. It takes time and patients, but is well worth learning especially when the lanes get dry or if you need to take the oil pattern out of the equation, you can always line up and go straight at the pocket from outside on just about any pattern and find a line to the pocket. It may not be flashy, but it works when the lanes get weird.

It also teaches you to feel the finger pressure at the release and back it down or put a little more on the shot when needed. You can learn a lot of nuances to bowling by learning to throw a straight shot.

#145997 - 02/06/11 09:12 PM Re: A technique for the 10-pin spare (right hander) [Re: Rollin' G]
VC357 Offline
Junior

A/S/L: 47/M/New York
Good pointers CoachJim. Going to give your example a try. Not interested in flashy..LOL mainly concerned with the results...:)

for starters, I use a plastic ball (drilled like a lefty - pin left of middle finger - I'm right handed). Really shouldn't matter, but I've a plastic ball with a weight block.

Secondly, I've learned to lead with the inner part of my elbow. Doing this actually cause my hand to slightly invert, thus releasing it straight. May even throw a slight backup, but if thrown in such manner (i.e. leading with inside of arm), the wrist will not rotate and hand stays behind the ball. It can be done with any ball. Not limited to plastic.

FWIW, I shoot cross lane in the same manner as Rollin G described in his post.
Just my $0.02

skid/flip - Storm Reign, Reign Supreme

#146003 - 02/06/11 11:28 PM Re: A technique for the 10-pin spare (right hander) [Re: Rollin' G]
Dennis Michael Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: M/Barrington, Ill
I've abandoned my spare ball. And, now only use my strike ball. I use a suitcase grip throughout the swing, and release it with my thumb pointing up. Success has increased tremendously to where I use that method on all right side spares.

30-clean last Fri nite shows it works. With 3 10-pins mixed in.
Legends - L/M Xtreme Damage 15# Strong pearl

#146008 - 02/07/11 06:45 AM Re: A technique for the 10-pin spare (right hander) [Re: Rollin' G]
The 5 board Offline
League Bowler

A/S/L: 18/m/Australia
I use my plastic ball and I don't even bother breaking my wrist anymore, I just come straight up the back of it, no revs that way. I'm more than capable of using any of my gear to spare 10 pins, even my VG (Not saying much, it's sort of died :P)

Gear:
Track Spare
Hammer Vibe (Grape)
Columbia 300 Classic U2 (Waiting to be drilled)
Taboo Deep Purple (Waiting to be drilled)
Track 919c

#146012 - 02/07/11 07:29 AM Re: A technique for the 10-pin spare (right hander) [Re: CoachJim]
10PinGaloot Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 65/m/ Woodburn, OR
Originally Posted By: CoachJim
What worked well for me was to learn to throw any ball straight by playing straight up the 2 board and pick the 10 out of the rack with any ball.

I totally agree, which is why I was surprised when I got keelhauled for suggesting that in a previous thread.

Maybe it was the fact that I suggested it as an alternative to going cross-lane at the 10 pin....

At any rate, I totally agree that
1 - it's a great way to learn to get your ball to consistently cross the foul line at the same spot
2 - it can be done with any ball, no matter how reactive (although the more lopsided balls/drillings tend to be more difficult)
3 - it helps teach proper technique for the cross-lane shot.

Actually, the accuracy necessary to miss the 6 and hit the 10 is a little beyond my abilities, but going straight up the boards right of the first arrow has worked well for me when i did it.

"I love the smell of lane conditioner in the morning!"
current avatar is Gabby Hayes. Looks a lot like me! smile

#146013 - 02/07/11 07:35 AM Re: A technique for the 10-pin spare (right hander) [Re: Rollin' G]
CoachJim Offline
USBC Silver Coach

A/S/L: Reston, Virginia USA
one side note, once you learn to throw the ball straight then you move back to shooting cross lane at the corner pins using the middle arrow as your target and find where you need to stand to pick the 10 or 7 clean out of the rack.

Edited by CoachJim (02/07/11 07:45 AM)

#146034 - 02/07/11 01:36 PM Re: A technique for the 10-pin spare (right hander) [Re: CoachJim]
TheDemolitionMan Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 23/Male/California, US
Stand about 38-37 roll the ball over the middle arrow and come straight up the back of any ball=10 pin problem solved. Now that just leaves the Execution. lol nut
Be like water making its way through cracks. Don't be assertive, but adjust to the object, and you shall find a way around or through it. If nothing within you stays rigid, outward things will disclose themselves.

#146128 - 02/08/11 09:20 PM Re: A technique for the 10-pin spare (right hander) [Re: CoachJim]
Rollin' G Offline
League Bowler

I think I need to take some video. I swear that I am crossing about 20, but many times I'll roll into the channel about 2-3' in front of the pin deck. I don't think I'm turning my hand, but maybe I am and don't even realize it. Something about cross lane shots just messes with my mind. I've tried to develop a subtle release for the strike ball and maybe I am turning my hand a bit. I think I'll practice trying to roll at the 10 up around the 2-5 boards. I'm always open to trying new stuff because the spares just seem to be getting tougher the more I bowl. Really odd. I read Mike Durbin's "From Gutterballs to Strikes" and a method for shooting spares he talks about is the 30 and 3rd arrow technique: stand with the inside of your slide foot on 30 in the setup and cross the 3rd arrow (15) at the first set of target arrows to roll into the 3 pin, then adjust left and right about 3-6 boards. I haven't tried this and am planning to give it a shot (work through all the single pin spare shots, 3,6,10). Big question in my mind is, unless you walk toward the 3rd arrow (sliding at about 20 instead of 30 at the line), isn't the ball going to go into the channel? Mike doesn't mention if this technique requires walking toward the target line/arrow.

#146129 - 02/08/11 09:31 PM Re: A technique for the 10-pin spare (right hander) [Re: CoachJim]
Rollin' G Offline
League Bowler

Originally Posted By: CoachJim
If you are going to use those fingers, make sure the ball is drilled for those finger sizes and span measurements, otherwise the ball might slip out of your hand in the swing.

I've had some success with this, but I think I'm going to bag it after a few practices. At best I can get the 10 pin clean out of the rack about 50% of the time. I don't like having to squeeze the ball too much and it is actually a little tougher to stay behind the ball with this ring finger/pinkie grip (because it doesn't fit). Everyone is awesome in our local house and the high-school bowling coach is super friendly. He recommended trying this pinkie/ring finger grip and it is slightly more effective for me, but I don't think I have the patience to squeeze the ball that much nor do I want to have a special ball drilled to fit and lug around. Uggg....going to figure out the 10 pin some how!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Duplicating the reaction of an obsolete ball
by 82Boat69 - Today at 12:44 AM
2018 USBC Open Championships Syracuse NY
by wronghander - 08/07/18 08:45 PM
Summer Leagues 2018 thread
by Vic44 - 08/04/18 10:41 PM
Short Pin to Axis Layouts for Full Rollers?
by nord - 07/28/18 04:27 PM
Axis Weight Layout for Full Roller?
by Mkirchie - 07/28/18 07:45 AM
PBA Moving From ESPN to Fox
by Gutterballqueen313 - 07/25/18 01:50 PM
End of Days
by Gutterballqueen313 - 07/25/18 01:41 PM
Summer House Tourney
by Dennis Michael - 07/24/18 08:26 AM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2018 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.