BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#146011 - 02/07/11 07:19 AM Anyone recommend free bowling league software??
looseleftie Offline
Hall of Famer Contender

A/S/L: 45 m
Hi,
Fed up with my lazy a$$ centre, not updating league standing sheets, till almost the night before we bowl, frustrating for me, and the other bowlers in the league, who regulary complain to me..

I thought maybe there might be some free software that i can d/l and then make results online... I live in Aus, so i cant use the USBC site, as it only alows US leagues..
Any advice appreciated
Looseleftie

Edited by looseleftie (02/07/11 07:20 AM)

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#146016 - 02/07/11 09:04 AM Re: Anyone recommend free bowling league software?? [Re: looseleftie]
Calvin Pistorio Offline
State Champion Contender

A/S/L: 32/m/maryland
Unfortunately I believe league secretary dot com charges for leagues to upload info. I don't know of any free software.

I think this issue with your center was discussed before and I'm going to repeat what I said last time. As long as the league sheets are ready in time for league this is a non-issue. Sure being able to see them ahead of time is nice, but not something worth complaining over when you can't.

Unfortunately not many leagues actually do their own secretarial or banking any more and relying or even being forced by the center to use in house services. If I was to attempt to get a new league going, as long as I was involved as an officer it wouldn't use those in house services.
HS:763

#146037 - 02/07/11 02:03 PM Re: Anyone recommend free bowling league software?? [Re: looseleftie]
Atochabsh Offline
USBC Bronze Coach

A/S/L: 50/F/California
I don't know of any free software to do this. Perfect Secretary and Bowling League secretary are the two biggies. And Bowling League Secretary is tied to www.leaguesecretary.com They cover leagues around the world, but only a couple from AU are uploading. You could do it old school, by hand, but you have to make sure you collect a copy o the recaps every weeks. As soon as you miss one of those you are behind.

I always wondered what advantage it was to have your league sheet as soon as possible. My Wed. sec. uploads his the next morning, but besides seeing how everyone did, it is not useful really. I cannot change the results, I cannot change lane assignment. Unless there are particular pairs in the center that require special consideration I don't see a point in having the league standing sheet early.

Since this seems to be a problem with more people in your league, ask them to pitch in to buy the software for you. People are so quick to complain but when you give them a solution see if they step up to the plate. :-)

Erin

#146039 - 02/07/11 02:09 PM Re: Anyone recommend free bowling league software?? [Re: looseleftie]
Atochabsh Offline
USBC Bronze Coach

A/S/L: 50/F/California
http://3d2f.com/tags/bowling/secretary/software/

Don't know anyone that uses it but its freeware.

#146040 - 02/07/11 02:15 PM Re: Anyone recommend free bowling league software?? [Re: Atochabsh]
Calvin Pistorio Offline
State Champion Contender

A/S/L: 32/m/maryland
Originally Posted By: Atochabsh
, I cannot change lane assignment. Unless there are particular pairs in the center that require special consideration I don't see a point in having the league standing sheet early.

Every league I've been in, the current week's sheet has the following week's schedule already posted, both lane and opponent. I know I look every week at the following week to see who my team will be bowling against. One league even posted the following two weeks. My current league passes out the whole schedule for the year around the time they pass out the prize fund that won after being voted on.
HS:763

#146041 - 02/07/11 03:29 PM Re: Anyone recommend free bowling league software?? [Re: looseleftie]
cupey800 Offline
Junior

A/S/L: 27/M/Indiana
Other than seeing new points positions, and the suriosit of if the leaderboard has changed, I don't see much benefit to seeing them ASAP. There is one guy in my league, with a 241 average, who brings a different set of equipment for each pair he is bowling on, so he likes to know next week's lane assignment ahead of time, but out sheets list the current week, and the next two weeks, so he doesn't even need to see them ASAP. I say don't stress it.
Virtual Gravity - Hy-Road

#146050 - 02/07/11 05:04 PM Re: Anyone recommend free bowling league software?? [Re: looseleftie]
jbungard Offline
Team USA Contender

A/S/L: 58/m/Arizona
looseleftie,

I'm not familiar with any of the free bowling league secretary software programs. I am familiar with CDE's Bowling League Secretary (BLS-2011 in its latest iteration) and have used it for over a decade. Treasure Software's Perfect Secretary is also a good program. Both PS and BLS have a high initial cost in the hundred to two hundred US dollar range. Annual renewals are inexpensive, around US$30 for BLS. BLS is capable of easy uploads to both Bowl.com and LeagueSecretary.com. BLS provides minor upgrades approximately every two weeks or so during the fall/winter/spring season and stays up to date with USBC's ever changing awards programs.

I upload my Monday night league (Pony League, Glendale, AZ, LeagueSecretary ID # 350, each Monday evening after bowling. We finish up around 9:15 pm and the league standings are uploaded around 11:00 pm. The optional singles "league-within-a-league" is usually uploaded by 11:45 pm. I send out an e-mail to each of our bowlers with standings attached for both the 5-person and the singles league, along with a copy of all of the recap sheets around Midnight.
The bowlers appreciate being able to see their standings and upcoming lane assignments. This also gives us plenty of time to correct errors if identified. Sometimes bowlers write their scores on the recap incorrectly on someone elses name line. The house also downloads scores from the auto scorers and this gives the league coordinator and I time to compare and make sure we have the right scores. In most cases the auto scorers are correct. If a few cases, bowlers will bounce a ten pin out of the gutter and not correct the auto scorers. In these cases, the recap may be correct and the auto download incorrect. The house and I try our best for 100% accuracy during the season. The bowlers like this as the league has grown each year. Currently, we're at 28 teams, averaging about 2 team growth each year.

Over the last couple of decades, I've been secretary/treasurer of a 32 team scratch league that grew from 18 teams, a 36 team handicap league that maintained at this level for many years, and a traveling league that has grown from 10 to 16 teams. (We are maxed out at 16 teams as one of the centers we travel to is a 16 lane center.) Similar to football or other weekly sports, the bowlers like seeing the results as soon as practical. With six days until our next session, this also allows us time to work out problems before they become a crisis.
Just another perspective. YMMV wink
Code Black:65x4.5"x60,P3xh,compound
Rave:PU Ring,compound
Rack Attack Solid,45x3.3875"x45,P2xh,500/4000
Maxim:Label,polished

#146056 - 02/07/11 05:55 PM Re: Anyone recommend free bowling league software?? [Re: jbungard]
Richie V. Offline
Virtual League Secretary,
Virtual League Champion x4

A/S/L: 51/M/Brockton, MA
Originally Posted By: jbungard
I'm not familiar with any of the free bowling league secretary software programs. I am familiar with CDE's Bowling League Secretary (BLS-2011 in its latest iteration) and have used it for over a decade. Treasure Software's Perfect Secretary is also a good program. Both PS and BLS have a high initial cost in the hundred to two hundred US dollar range. Annual renewals are inexpensive, around US$30 for BLS. BLS is capable of easy uploads to both Bowl.com and LeagueSecretary.com. BLS provides minor upgrades approximately every two weeks or so during the fall/winter/spring season and stays up to date with USBC's ever changing awards programs.

As a user of Perfect Secretary, I can say that that application is also updated during the season. Someone else actually ponied up the cash to get me the application for the virtual league, but it is around $100US for the deluxe version for leagues of up to 16 teams, and, if I actually had the money to put toward that myself, I would've thought the price reasonable.
IQ Tour Fusion
Reign of Fire
Tropical Breeze
Fast
T-Zone

Career Highs
Avg.: 197 (Summer 2008)
Book: 186
Series: 707
Game: 288

Current
Brunswick Mixed - Avg: 164 HS: 558 HG: 233

The Tenth Board: My bowling blog
Richie's BowlSK profile

#146093 - 02/08/11 06:22 AM Re: Anyone recommend free bowling league software?? [Re: looseleftie]
looseleftie Offline
Hall of Famer Contender

A/S/L: 45 m
Thank you to all, I have several options and sites to check out now..

Much appreciated.
Cheers
Looseleftie

#146094 - 02/08/11 06:37 AM Re: Anyone recommend free bowling league software?? [Re: looseleftie]
Rocket Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 45/male/Ohio
I never look at the standing sheets, I am afraid that say we are bowling the last place team I may not focus as hard knowing going in that we are facing a weaker opponent.

For personal stat tracking I just made an access tracking report. Put all my info in it when I get home and then I have a years worth of info I can look up when I want.

Mutant Cell

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Fall/Winter 2018-19 Leagues Thread
by Mkirchie - Today at 08:17 AM
Storm/Roto Grip MatchMaker Live
by Dennis Michael - 09/18/18 08:46 AM
Summer House Tourney
by Dennis Michael - 09/12/18 08:37 AM
For the good of the sport?
by Dennis Michael - 09/07/18 04:48 AM
End of Days
by steveA - 09/05/18 04:25 PM
Off-Spot Rule and Pinspotter Operation Question
by BOSStull - 09/01/18 06:43 AM
Anthony Simonsen Gene Carter's Pro Shop Classic
by BowlerBill - 08/24/18 04:27 PM
Duplicating the reaction of an obsolete ball
by BowlerBill - 08/24/18 04:23 PM
Summer Leagues 2018 thread
by wronghander - 08/23/18 11:11 PM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2018 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.