BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#145905 - 02/05/11 06:06 PM Another bowling ramble
DrAvery Offline
Bracket Donor

A/S/L: 33 M Seattle, WA
Kind of a weird day on the lanes.

Started off with a 114. Then I rolled a 166 (my second best game of all time). Then I rolled a 100 (took a clutch strike in the 10 to secure even that).

Then the old couple and their 4 year old grandson take the lane next to us. Old lady grabs my ball and throws it, kid's running all over the place jumping on the ball return, dragging the little ball ramp down in the middle of my approach...

Now before I continue, I want to make perfectly clear that I did not utter a single discourteous word to the kindly couple or their grandson. Not one sharp glance or raised tone. I was even nice enough to help them operate the computerized scoring machine. What I am about to describe is an inner turmoil, and in no way did I allow it to manifest against these people.

That said, I really have trouble coping with poorly attended small children at the lanes, and I really really hate unruly children, and I can't stand it when people needlessly touch (much less throw) my ball. I mean, if you've got to shuffle the balls on the return because one side is filling up, no worries. But I don't want your kids nacho/soda hands on my frikkin' ball. How would they like it if I went and stood outside with my filthy hands on their car's windshield?

Furthermore, I just can't focus on my game when I have to worry about causing a 4 year old permanent brain damage on my backswing. Or foreswing. I start rolling the ball away from the child. I can't bring myself to throw it straight because there is a hardwired psychological block preventing me from ignoring the possibility of killing some child. I mean - They don't let kids on the track during the daytona 500. Someone could get hurt. The bowling alley is a potentially dangerous place - at least keep the kid in the seating area until it is his turn.

And that flipping ramp. look kid, you've already got the bumpers up - you've got to have an apparatus too?. Why don't we just hire someone to knock down all the pins for you from behind the pinsetter, huh little buddy!?!

Game 4 was an 84. That's unacceptably low for this phase in my game, but I refuse to count it for the reasons mentioned above.

Before you bring on the hate mail, I get it. All of these things are my problem. I have to learn to ignore the child and let fate decide whether he should live. I have to learn to ignore and move past the old lady molesting my balls. I have to learn to ignore the ball ramp being dragged up during my approach. My lack of focus is always my own fault.

In the abstract, I want these people to have fun. But in practice I want them to have fun on a non-adjoining lane. It's too bad they can't split up the lanes, and put the serious bowlers on the leftmost lanes, teenagers and ironic bowlers (wouldn't it be hilarious if we went bowling?) in the middle, and children/families on the rightmost lanes. Obviously the scheduling wouldn't always work for it, the lane that comes open is the lane that comes open.

Edited by DrAvery (02/05/11 06:09 PM)

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#145909 - 02/05/11 06:31 PM Re: Another bowling ramble [Re: DrAvery]
looseleftie Offline
Hall of Famer Contender

A/S/L: 45 m
DrAvery, your post is funny stuff mate, seriously I'm typing my response with a smile on my face as I do know how u feel. It wouldn't be so funny if it wasn't so true..

Social bowlers don't get it, why would they, they dont know any better and obviously the counter staff don't bring rules of behaviour to their attention when they hand over their money..

My suggestion, if this is possible is to find various times throughout the week, where u know, it might be quieter, and there are several lanes u can move to inorder to get away from social bowlers/unruly kids and drunken teenagers..

One point, in regards to scoring well, it is bloody hard to do whilst your on the approach and hoping that 4 yr old doesn't run out onto your lane as u begin your approach.

PS Love the Daytona 500 comparison, I'll remember that and use it down the road.. Like it, thaks mate.

#145912 - 02/05/11 06:56 PM Re: Another bowling ramble [Re: DrAvery]
One Pin Standing Offline
Action Bowler

A/S/L: 44/Male/Forsyth Co., GA. USA
Dr Avery,

I feel your pain. My wife and I started bowling together a couple of years ago and your depiction of your experience is one we have unfortunately experienced numerous times. Much of this I feel is due to poor parenting, or a total absence in parenting. (Grandparenting in your case)

There was a situation in my center several months ago where an unsupervised child was injured after running up behind a bowler (his father) and getting wacked in the head during his backswing.

Iíve been in your shoes more times than I care to recall, and Iíve not been as calm and collected as you described. My tolerance level for unruly or unsupervised children is non existent.

I'm sure there are many other bowlers on this forum who feel the same.

In the bag:

811C/T
300C
300A
912T
508A
811ASE

#145914 - 02/05/11 07:14 PM Re: Another bowling ramble [Re: DrAvery]
10PinGaloot Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 65/m/ Woodburn, OR
As I only bowl during open bowling times, I allow others who don't know proper etiquette to have their fun. If they get on the approah (on their lane) while I'm on the approach, I just try to time my shots between theirs. If they stand by th ball return between shots, I don't let it bother me.

However, I would NEVER allow a kid to run onto the approach of my lane, EVER. never. Not ever. period. I have never had that happen, but I'm sure that if it did, the kid's parents would hear from me in no uncertain terms.

We're here for fun. Anything that contributes to that is okay with me. I can have fun on their terms vis a vis lane etiquette. But having kids make noise or run onto other people's lanes is unacceptable, dangerous, and clearly calls for intervention. I would not tell the kid to stay off my lane in a stern manner, but I would make it plain that my lane is off limits. If the behavior continued, especially if the parent didn't mention it to the kid, then I would have to approach the parent.

As I say, I've never had that happen. It's almost unimaginable that a parent would allow it.

"I love the smell of lane conditioner in the morning!"
current avatar is Gabby Hayes. Looks a lot like me! smile

#145916 - 02/05/11 07:30 PM Re: Another bowling ramble [Re: DrAvery]
Atochabsh Offline
USBC Bronze Coach

A/S/L: 50/F/California
Look, no one has less tolerance for kids then I do. I have chosen not to have kids of my own for that reason, I do not like children.

You do have the power to do a couple things. 1. you can ask to be moved to another lane. 2. you can pack up your toys and leave.

I've done both. Trying to reason with parents these days is useless and will only get you snide remarks, dirty looks and outright hostility. In fact if they complain to the management you will be chastised. Parents these days do not care if their kids run wild, ruin everyone elses' time or even put themselves in danger. The world revolves around their children.....didn't you know that?

#145919 - 02/05/11 07:36 PM Re: Another bowling ramble [Re: DrAvery]
looseleftie Offline
Hall of Famer Contender

You are correct Atochabsh, how dare u tell my child off attitude?? My child is beyond repproach, they are perfect and can do whatever the heck they want to do mentality, as I don't want the responsibility of being a decent parent these days. GRRR

#145920 - 02/05/11 07:48 PM Re: Another bowling ramble [Re: DrAvery]
Rollin' G Offline
League Bowler

A/S/L: 40/M/Oklahoma
My kids are in a weekly league (9 and 7). They know to keep off the ball return, but we had to really repeat that rule over and over to them. Experience is the best teacher and they had to get pinched fingers a few times. They know when to take their shot and when to wait.

Now, OTHER peoples' kids? I don't much care for them much. Forget bowling, just teach 'em to behave in PUBLIC first. I've had recreational bowlers take my gear out of the return and roll it up the lane. Pretty obvious an amateur's gear isn't house equipment, especially with the grips and colors but apparently a lot of MENSA types like to bowl about once a year. Some overweight Einstein rolled one of my reactive balls once and almost broke his thumb. He yelped out in pain as the 16-lb ball stayed on his thumb and lofted onto the lane. Instead of yelling at him I just said, "yeah, that's MY ball, dude" and taunted him for the rest of the time I was there. I offered to go get an 8-lb ball for him since he was too weak for an adult-sized ball. Part of the game I guess, but I still don't like some of the people you have to deal with for practice.

I wouldn't worry about scores so much in practice. I guess we tend to look at scores in practice because we're paying by the game. I try to go in with a plan about specifics I'm going to work on each practice session. Want to really confuse a recreational bowler? Play a whole game of trying to pick out the 10-pin from a full rack. If you do it right, you can still practice your strike shot on the second ball.

#145924 - 02/05/11 08:15 PM Re: Another bowling ramble [Re: DrAvery]
looseleftie Offline
Hall of Famer Contender

Taunting a rude and ignorant little fatty of a child at a bowling centre Rollin G, and u an adult and all, way to go lol...

I have a teamate who brings his kids along some weeks, why?? Seriously, its a 8.45pm league on a schol night, kids get silly and unruly, and yes there is another parent at home who can look after the kids, so its not a case of there isn't anyone else to look after their kids..I just don't get some parents??

Some kids don't take NO as meaning NO, they think they'll try and push it, and see how far they can go with it, and in many cases, their feeble parents are the ones that give in...
KIDS 1.. PARENTS 0, can only imagine when their little angels hit mid teens and wanting to go out and go nuts, the parents have lost control as there are no boundaries ever made, cause they always gave into them..

#145925 - 02/05/11 08:46 PM Re: Another bowling ramble [Re: looseleftie]
Rollin' G Offline
League Bowler

A/S/L: 40/M/Oklahoma
Oh yeah, the league kids are WAY out of hand at the evening leagues. You keep an 5-year old out past 7:00 PM and you deserve what you get: tired, impossible children. Can't really blame the kid for melting down, but it is still annoying. We're not done until at least 9:30-10:00 PM most weeks. I always look at these kids with such disbelief that their parents are so clueless about letting them run around the bowling center creating mischief.

I always like to taunt whoever I'm playing against a little. It's always just a little gamesmanship and never mean. Usually whoever I'm playing against will give it right back and I enjoy that. We'll bet for beers on split shot conversions, that kind of thing. If somebody is too stupid to know what is a house ball and what belongs to another bowler, then they get no mercy.

#145927 - 02/05/11 09:20 PM Re: Another bowling ramble [Re: DrAvery]
looseleftie Offline
Hall of Famer Contender

There use to be a cross section of parents from vastily different socio-economic bacgrounds that I see at bowling with a wide range of parental skills/techniques.. Most are pretty good, but some u simply shake your head..

There seem to be more new ferals coming into leagues than ever before, and less middle income parents/families?? Whats it like in USA??

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Summer House Tourney
by Dennis Michael - 07/16/18 09:27 PM
Help with grip/ Thumb Position
by 82Boat69 - 07/15/18 08:11 PM
End of Days
by Dennis Michael - 07/15/18 07:34 PM
2018 USBC Open Championships Syracuse NY
by Richie V. - 07/10/18 12:19 PM
what will become of AMF
by Dennis Michael - 07/09/18 07:13 AM
I'll try again
by Dennis Michael - 07/06/18 12:32 PM
Summer Leagues 2018 thread
by 6_ball_man - 07/06/18 08:44 AM
Bowling ball colors
by BOSStull - 07/04/18 10:28 AM
Tiered Tape...
by BOSStull - 06/30/18 11:33 AM
no one on for 5 days
by steveA - 06/22/18 04:31 PM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2018 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.