BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#145531 - 02/02/11 12:39 AM working on a free swing
jburt21 Offline
League Bowler

A/S/L: 25/M/OH/USA
here is a newer vid of my bowling. please critique ive been trying to free up my swing lately
thanks!

View My Video

Avg: 202
HG: 289
HS: 744

In the bag:

Storm Mainframe
Storm Natural Pearl polished
Storm Lucid
Ebonite Mission 2.0 Polished

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#145542 - 02/02/11 02:51 AM Re: working on a free swing [Re: jburt21]
B-Hammer Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 30/M/Bellingham WA
Do you find it difficult to consistently hit your target taking your second step off to the side like that? It seems less distinctive then your previous video, but still seems kind of odd.

Compare yourself to Fagan, he's a tall guy with a loose swing, but just walks in a straight line with normal steps after the cross over step.

#145543 - 02/02/11 02:54 AM Re: working on a free swing [Re: jburt21]
jburt21 Offline
League Bowler

i know i do that but i can't seem to kick it. the more i free up my swing the less prominent it is because im not forcefully clearing the way for the swing, generally i end about 2 boards left of where i start so as long as i keep that in mind when lining up i generally don't have accuracy issues, more hitting the same line but having trouble repeating speed/rev issues. having a free swing and creating power still has not clicked for me
thanks for the tip ive watched that video a few times before and if i was to try to emulate anyone it would be fagen on jones
they both have somewhat the same build and i would love to be able to play like either

Edited by jab2010 (02/02/11 02:56 AM)

In the bag:

Storm Mainframe
Storm Lucid

#145576 - 02/02/11 01:52 PM Re: working on a free swing [Re: jburt21]
TheDemolitionMan Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 23/Male/California, US
If I may offer my advice, as I too am still developing my free swing. Now I haven't a clue what you used to bowl like but you look like you have been getting most of the free swing stuff down. The first and second things to a successful free swing aren't even on the approach. So I have to ask, is your fit right? Do you have to grab or squeeze the ball at any point and time in your approach? And second, you look like you pause and take a breath before you go, but do you relax your swing arm and have the weight of the ball distributed in the left? You won't believe how big a difference those two things will make.

Next, I have three drills that I can suggest to you. One requires a friend, fellow bowler, teammate whatever. Regardless, I want you to get in your stance with your arm fully exstended and have whoever's with you hold the ball and completely support the weight. They'll let go and you just let the ball swing once and they'll catch it when it comes back up. The point is for you to feel what it's like to swing completely free. Now obviously things like knee bend and body tilt and how they will effect your swing can't be measured here, but drill number 2 are one-step drills. They are hard and annoying at first because all you get is a slide. However, it's a good way to start developing your muscle memory. And lastly, this is for that huge step out to the last. Most likely you step out there because that is where you wanna line up with to roll the ball. So why not line up out there and walk straight. Your release is pretty strong and you have a pretty good finish so you should be alright. I suggest taking a towel and folding it long-ways so that it is as narrow as a board on the lane, place it just beyond the foul line, find a spot where you'd like to start and walk straight at the towel.

Lastly, have you considered trying a five step approach. I think you may benefit a little bit from getting the ball into the swing or at least started a little earlier. It may be a little weird at first but it may help and not make you feel as rushed. That will eliminate some muscle use as well.

The Demolition Man
Be like water making its way through cracks. Don't be assertive, but adjust to the object, and you shall find a way around or through it. If nothing within you stays rigid, outward things will disclose themselves.

#145578 - 02/02/11 02:38 PM Re: working on a free swing [Re: jburt21]
jburt21 Offline
League Bowler

Thanks demo!
yes i do take a breath and try to completely relax as well as place all the weight of the ball in my left hand as i give my right elbow and wrist a little floating movement to loosen them up. also i have worked with a one step before and it does help, i definitely need to fix my approach it's next on the list. i actually used to use a 5 step a year or two ago but for some reason went to a four. im going to try the towel trick for my approach this weekend and see if i cant get that straightened out. once i get that one then i think ill play with a five step, it seems like the way to go to help with timing
thanks again

In the bag:

Storm Mainframe
Storm Lucid

#145579 - 02/02/11 02:40 PM Re: working on a free swing [Re: jburt21]
jburt21 Offline
League Bowler

also i recently went from reverse thumb pitch to 1/8 forward and with a few pieces of tape the ball holds onto me instead of me holding onto the ball

In the bag:

Storm Mainframe
Storm Lucid

#145586 - 02/02/11 03:14 PM Re: working on a free swing [Re: jburt21]
sk8shorty01 Offline
Virtual League Champion x2

A/S/L: 30/M/Merritt Island, FL
jab,

The biggest thing I notice in your game right now is in your footwork. Right now your second step is very short which creates a very long and pronounced third step. This is actually backwards, you want your second step (in a 4 step) to be the longest step and the third should be short (almost heel to toe) so that you can get your body into a more powerful position.

Here is the drill I use to work on it:

1 - Start your approach and mark where you second step currently goes, either by having a spotter or by stopping your approach after the second step.

2 - After this you want to take something semi-flat (ie towel folded or wallet) and place it on the approach so that you will have to step over it on your second step.

3 - Start off by slightly stretching that step, as you get a little more comfortable move the item further down the approach. Continue doing this until you are having to take a step so big that it is actually to the point that you are going as long as your body will let you without falling over.

4 - After that back the item up slightly (6 inches maybe) and work on it there until it becomes habit.

By creating a longer second step your third step will automatically shorten, this will put you in the most powerful position possible. It will allow your footwork to create power and it will allow you to relax your arm because you will not have to "throw" the ball in order to create speed, it will all happen with the legs.
IAB Staff Member

PBA Member
USBC Level 1 Certified Coach
Head Coach - Cocoa High School

Career 300 games - 5
Career 800 series - 6
High Scratch Series - 823

#145587 - 02/02/11 03:17 PM Re: working on a free swing [Re: jburt21]
TheDemolitionMan Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 23/Male/California, US
Good good. Well practice will be needed...lots of it. And you my want to check out Joe Slowinski's site, bowlingknowledge.info. It's a great site to help with any aspect of your game.
Be like water making its way through cracks. Don't be assertive, but adjust to the object, and you shall find a way around or through it. If nothing within you stays rigid, outward things will disclose themselves.

#145588 - 02/02/11 03:18 PM Re: working on a free swing [Re: sk8shorty01]
jburt21 Offline
League Bowler

thats some info i have been looking for. Thanks a million.
i know power is created by timing and footwork not by the arm and I've been having trouble and i know why.
now to fix it! lol ill have videos in a week or so to show what progress I'm making. i try to practice at least 4 days a week while bowling league two of the other days so ill try to make this second nature
thanks again guys

In the bag:

Storm Mainframe
Storm Lucid

#145629 - 02/03/11 02:43 AM Re: working on a free swing [Re: jburt21]
jburt21 Offline
League Bowler

welp tonight at league i figured id start working on my footwork, might as well start the new and try to get rid of the bad habbits quicker. i shot 560 which is to be expected, still i can feel a difference when i purposly extend my second step and get to the line it feel more like im waiting on the ball and decelerating as i slide more than a 'one two threeeee four walk if that makes sense. definitely will continue working tomorrow in practice and maybe have a video

In the bag:

Storm Mainframe
Storm Lucid

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Quitting my League
by BOSStull - 4 seconds ago
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2020 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.