BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#145057 - 01/26/11 03:50 AM Re: Please Critique this Bowling Newbie - Pics Ins [Re: Johnny5]
Johnny5 Offline
Bantam

A/S/L: Los Angeles, CA
Thanks to everyone's input, I bowled fiver games and scored around 120 per game, but also scored 175 on my second to last. I got a long ways to go, but still an improvement from 85 ~ 90!

Dennis - my release was smoother and I avoided the "thud-thud." And yes, there were two sets of dots, 12' and 15' I guess?

Mkirchie - I mentioned the story of why Shatto 39 has 39 lanes with my buddies, they were all intrigued. And here's the other side...

B-Hammer - my aim was more consistent. I moved all the way to the right and aimed for the 6 pin, and made slight adjustments throughout the course of the game.

Handful - I shortened the first step and I think I fouled only twice in 5 games.

I didn't take any new videos this time around but yeah, everyone's input helped a lot. Thanks again for everyone!

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#145080 - 01/26/11 11:59 AM Re: Please Critique this Bowling Newbie - Pics Ins [Re: Johnny5]
mmalsed Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 43/M/Riverside, CA
are you aiming at the pin or at an arrow?

Recommendation is to aim at the arrow - it's only 15' away instead of aiming for 60' away. . . far easier to hit, especially if you have any hook at all. . .

Plus, if you aim at an arrow, you can begin building a "line" - your aim point can start being a line from your release, across your arrow aim-point, to your break point.

16# IQ Tour Pearl/16# Crux/16# Marvel S/15#White Dot

"Gotta kick at the darkness 'till it bleeds daylight"

#145086 - 01/26/11 12:45 PM Re: Please Critique this Bowling Newbie - Pics Ins [Re: mmalsed]
B-Hammer Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 30/M/Bellingham WA
Originally Posted By: mmalsed
are you aiming at the pin or at an arrow?

Recommendation is to aim at the arrow - it's only 15' away instead of aiming for 60' away. . . far easier to hit, especially if you have any hook at all. . .

Plus, if you aim at an arrow, you can begin building a "line" - your aim point can start being a line from your release, across your arrow aim-point, to your break point.

Yeah agree with that, you want to aim at two points one close and one at the break point, but since the break point can be difficult to see as a beginner you can use a pin as the second point to start with and learn to identify the break point as you gain more experience. Can't tell if your lanes have down lane markers (usually 4 darker colored boards or a second set of arrows), those are even better as a second aiming point, but many lanes don't have those.

#145092 - 01/26/11 01:05 PM Re: Please Critique this Bowling Newbie - Pics Ins [Re: Johnny5]
Revenator Offline
Bracket Donor

A/S/L: 49
Johnny,
Your first step you have a nice heal to toe motion, that's what you want, but then it goes fast and you lose that. It seems to get to much on the balls of your feet after that. Then that get's you leaning to far forward at the line causing a little out of control at the slide.
Try keeping a nice heal to toe footwork all the way through and keep your legs underneath giving you a very stable feel throughout. Overall not bad though, good start. I think footwork is one of the most overlooked items, really pay attenion to your footwork.

#145169 - 01/27/11 03:10 PM Re: Please Critique this Bowling Newbie - Pics Ins [Re: Revenator]
Johnny5 Offline
Bantam

A/S/L: Los Angeles, CA
Ah during my setup my eyes were focused on the 6 pin, but during the release I was aiming at the first set of arrows, usually between the second and third arrow from the right. I've mentally noted what you guys said in regards to the second aiming point. Hopefully it'll help me learn my line better and find that breaking point.

Ravenator, thanks for the input. I considered what you said and went through the motion in my living room, and yes indeed...I do start trotting on the balls of my feet starting with my second step. It makes sense that if I slowed down a bit I should be more stable and in-control during the slide. But at the same time I guess there's nothing wrong with going fast and gaining momentum right? As long as I can stay in control? As mentioned by Norm Dukes here? (4:20 mark)

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Plugging balance holes
by BOSStull - 03/27/20 07:27 PM
Quitting my League
by BOSStull - 03/27/20 07:20 PM
2020 Nationals
by Doogie - 03/20/20 10:30 AM
This is a damned shame
by 82Boat69 - 03/17/20 07:48 PM
Belmo and the 2020 US Open
by BOSStull - 03/17/20 07:45 PM
COVID-10 and center closings
by BOSStull - 03/17/20 07:39 PM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2020 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.