BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#144849 - 01/23/11 04:58 PM Please Critique this Bowling Newbie - Pics Inside
Johnny5 Offline
Bantam

A/S/L: Los Angeles, CA
Hi everyone, I've been bowling about once a week for two months now, and it's been about 2 weeks since I got my own bowling ball. I've also been lurking around the forum and doing a lot of reading but man...bowling is NOT easy!

Maybe you're be rolling your eyes when I say this, but yes as a noob the first thing I want to learn is to hook the ball with some consistency. But I'm still trying to respect the game by learning the fundamentals. But like I said it's not easy. It's so difficult to stay under the ball and execute a proper release. Before getting my own bowling ball and bowling straight, I was averaging about 135. Now with all the tutorials I've seen and read in trying to hook the ball, I average 90 lol.

With that said, could you help out this newbie and give me some pointers on my overall form and swing? I've pasted some still photos below with comments/questions to illustrate better.

Eyes over hand, chin over ball, right?

I just drop the ball to promote hinge vs push-away

Most articles I read state "elbow-in" all the time, is this?

I try to keep my wrist cocked throughout the swing. Should I hinge lower though? I totally lose concentration on my balance arm and never pay attention to it...

Arrrgh! So frustrating...almost impossible for me to keep it under the ball and I think I try to throw the ball like an underhand football, but way too early. It's almost like I'm dropping the ball (which you hear the double-thud in the video).

I read that you should release the ball close to the ankle of your sliding foot. According to the pic below is this about right? I noticed on the next few throws that when I try to be more conscious about releasing the ball lower, I ended up being more consistent.

For actual videos...

Anyhoo thank you all, and any input would be sincerely appreciated.

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#144875 - 01/23/11 09:13 PM Re: Please Critique this Bowling Newbie - Pics Inside [Re: Johnny5]
Dennis Michael Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: M/Barrington, Ill
Johnny, your first couple of steps, our hinge pushoff and start aren't bad. It's when you get to the top of your arm swing that you turn your hand through the downswing. Your hand then is on top of the ball at the release. Thud-thud

Keep your hand behind and under the ball. Let the ball roll off of your fingers. With the thumb out and the ball still on your fingers, make your turn with your hand by rolling the hand up the side of the ball. Don't twist your wrist, cause you will do that early in the swing
Legends - L/M Xtreme Damage 15# Strong pearl

#144884 - 01/23/11 10:41 PM Re: Please Critique this Bowling Newbie - Pics Inside [Re: Dennis Michael]
Mkirchie Offline
Hall of Famer Contender

A/S/L: 39/M/New Jersey
Don't really have anything to add to what Dennis said, but you are going to want to figure out how far back from the foul line you have to stand when you start your approach. I think you fouled in the first video, hard to tell from that angle, and you did foul in the second video.

By the way, I think it's cool that you bowl at Shatto 39 Lanes, I found info and pictures about it one time while surfing the net. For those who don't know, look at the far right of the very first picture, see it stop at lane 19? I read that they had to sacrifice lane 20 for an emergency exit when it was first built. The other 20 lanes are on the other side of the house. I'd like to see that, but I'm on the wrong coast!

Mark

#144885 - 01/23/11 10:44 PM Re: Please Critique this Bowling Newbie - Pics Inside [Re: Dennis Michael]
greggas Offline
League Bowler

A/S/L: m/columbus, ohio
hey dennis, quick question about johnnies 2nd video? he's only taking four steps from the back of the approach, yet he's sliding over the foul line. so are his steps too big, or is that a really short approach area?

USBC# 1840-6702

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLLwkXynB73M4IevAEa6TchkZSAeBr50Hs

"2 wrongs don't make a right,...... but 3 lefts do"

#144887 - 01/23/11 11:03 PM Re: Please Critique this Bowling Newbie - Pics Inside [Re: Johnny5]
B-Hammer Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 30/M/Bellingham WA
Yeah looks like your trying to force the ball to hook instead of letting it hook. Try moving all the way right aim at the six pin and try to just roll the ball at the six. When it hits the dry it'll start to hook. If you can't get the ball to hook from that angle then you won't be able to do it from a deeper angle.

#144888 - 01/23/11 11:09 PM Re: Please Critique this Bowling Newbie - Pics Ins [Re: Johnny5]
Dennis Michael Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: M/Barrington, Ill
greggas, it looks to be a short approach. 12' instead of 15' was typical in older centers. As indicated by the single ball rack.

Johnny, how many sets of dots are at the end of the approach where you stand? There should be one at 12' and a second set at 15' from the foul line.

Edited by Dennis Michael (01/23/11 11:33 PM)
Legends - L/M Xtreme Damage 15# Strong pearl

#144894 - 01/24/11 03:49 AM Re: Please Critique this Bowling Newbie - Pics Ins [Re: Johnny5]
Handful Offline
High Roller

A/S/L: 32/male/St Pete, FL/ usa
Your running up to the approach. even if thoes are short 12ft approaches a 4 stepper shouldn't need the entire approach. Move up a few feet at the start and make sure your first 2 steps are slow and not too long. If done correctly, you'll stop sliding before you release the ball which will give you more leverage.
Slingshot

#144896 - 01/24/11 04:01 AM Re: Please Critique this Bowling Newbie - Pics Ins [Re: Johnny5]
ebon betta Offline
Team USA Contender

A/S/L: 54/m/nyc /ny2
If your dropping the ball, your thumb might be a bit loose. Add a strip or two of tape. Relaxing your thumb and pointing the hand down, the ball should not just fall off. The weight of the ball and the force from the swing will remove the ball from your thumb. Though you do not want it so tight that it takes the skin from your finger with it.

#144917 - 01/24/11 11:10 AM Re: Please Critique this Bowling Newbie - Pics Ins [Re: Johnny5]
mmalsed Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 43/M/Riverside, CA
I noticed that your elbow is cocked quite a bit during your backswing. . .

16# IQ Tour Pearl/16# Crux/16# Marvel S/15#White Dot

"Gotta kick at the darkness 'till it bleeds daylight"

#144923 - 01/24/11 11:35 AM Re: Please Critique this Bowling Newbie - Pics Ins [Re: Johnny5]
Johnny5 Offline
Bantam

A/S/L: Los Angeles, CA
Dennis - I think youre' right, I think I'm trying to 'throw like an underhand football' too early on my downswing. Consequently, thud-thud. , so I'll make a conscious effort to keep my wrist cupped and under the ball until the release. (I'll also find out about the number of dots tomorrow, I never paid attention).

Mkirchie (Mark) - I never realized that about Shatto 'til you mentioned it, that's really cool to know! Our group meets every Tuesday (tomorrow) so I'll be sure to take a picture of the other side, all 20 lanes! And Dennis is right, Shatto is quite 'old-school' to say the least. No state-of-the art equipment, no gadgets that tell you your ball speed and rpm and etc. Some of the regulars have told us that Shatto is one of the hardest places to bowl in Southern Cal (not sure why).

B-Hammer - I see what you're saying. I need to take baby steps before trying to hook the ball like the pros do it right? I will try that tomorrow - move all the way to the right and aim at the 6 pin.

Handful - Yes I foul like 40% of the time. Looking at the video I think do take a giant first step, as I do the 'walking-the-wire' thing. I'll shorten the first step and see what happens.

ebon betta - Actually I think it's just right, I'm very good about not gripping the ball and staying relaxed, and the ball stays attached on top of my swing. Like Dennis said I think it's my hand position on my downswing where as I twist my wrist too early, and my
hand is literally on top of the ball when I release.

mmalsed - I noticed that too! I'll try to keep it straight.

Thank you all for your input! I'm very excited and can't wait to improve (hopefully)!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Plugging balance holes
by BOSStull - 03/27/20 07:27 PM
Quitting my League
by BOSStull - 03/27/20 07:20 PM
2020 Nationals
by Doogie - 03/20/20 10:30 AM
This is a damned shame
by 82Boat69 - 03/17/20 07:48 PM
Belmo and the 2020 US Open
by BOSStull - 03/17/20 07:45 PM
COVID-10 and center closings
by BOSStull - 03/17/20 07:39 PM
Unimportant Wood Lane Advice
by 82Boat69 - 03/01/20 02:06 PM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2020 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.